main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Third Essential Guide to Characters (formerly "Who would you want to see . . . ?")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dan Wallace, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It might not be original, but I think it has some merit. Anything that provides new, complex quotes for characters is a good thing, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't think it would. Maybe here and there, but I promise you we would end up with ten "it's a trap"s for every serious quotation.

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I would love to see more quotes about characters. Maybe not even true ones. How about a page or two of an in-universe tabloid with "news" about some of the characters. Are Luke and Leia really related? Is Thrawn dead, or just hiding? Is Winter having an affair with Ackbar? Did Luka and Mara secretly wed after the Thrawn crisis? Things like that would be awesome.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Bring back the news nets.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

Ris_jSarek and RC-1991 like this.
  5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The Essential Guide to Gossip.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  6. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    The Essential Guide to Gossip in the GFFA.

A full essential guide sized book of just Galaxywide News Net would be spectacular.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Second to bringing back and upgrading HNN, that might be my favorite idea ever.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, it is all predicated on LFL ensuring that the quotations are legit. Which, given their track record, gives evidence to your point that we will end up with mostly "It's a trap!". :p

Oh, and on another note, I want definitive birth years for each character. This has always bugged me for some reason. It would be great to know how old everyone is. And don't even get me started on heights!

--Adm. Nick

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Height is fair, but again - the second we get a birth year for someone, they'll show up the year before. You know I'm right.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I just hope we get a half-decent picture of Abeloth, and with the other Ones.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Alas, you are. If only they allowed a panel of JC forum members to serve as the arbiters of canon in the EU. We would do one hell of a job! Doesn't Leeland need, like, a dozen well intentioned aides? [face_batting]

--Adm. Nick

13. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Depends on the panel. I could see it going badly. Think of the Debt reduction supercommittee, except discussing the length of Home One.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    [face_laugh]=D=[face_laugh]

Well, I could name about a dozen posters of varied viewpoints who I respect a ton, but your point is well taken. :p

--Adm. Nick

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Sign me up for the Who-Gives-A-Womprat's-Ass Party. :p

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    How could I have been so forgetful... on the temp boards, it never occurred to me any new guide would be incomplete without the Life and Times of Captain Benegryph Goodvalor.

Imaginary character? Pfft. They all are. [face_talk_hand]

No, I mean really. I'd love for a joke character article simply for the sheer [dark jedi] and giggles of what they could spend a page writing about from a less serious POV, and you could still have some interesting nuggets of Mandalorian War history in an almost third-party "this is really about [someone important like Revan]'s actions" kind of way.

Plus we could then all make fun of Voren Na'al for being an idiot. (I still say "Darth Voren" was just Na'al's shoddy attempt to write himself into the history books. :p)

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, there's slim to no chance they'll bring back HNN/NewsNets any time soon in a guide - but...

... wouldn't that be grand if they did for the new RPG? [face_thinking]

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I like it better than HNN, because the NewsNets had multiple networks--and there was a lot of fun with just that.

19. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    out of curiosity.. what is the second most famous Ackbar quote ever aside "It's a trap!"? not counting any alterations or rhymes to this line!

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    ACKBAR IS BACK.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Something something of that magnitude.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    In terms of movie line, I bet "Concentrate all fire on that Super Star Destroyer!"

But to echo The Loyal Imperial...

ACKBAR IS BACK=D= ^:)^[face_flag]

--Adm. Nick

23. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    There is also:
    "Our cruisers can't repel firepower of that magnitude!"
    and
    "May the Force be with us!"

24. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    To be honest, I have a bad feeling about the book. Don't get me wrong. Dan Wallace is a great author and I'm sure he'll do more than his best ! And the artwork from Wheatley is always amazing ! But I'm worried about the vastness of the universe that has become too large to write another Essential character guide. We all love different characters in the saga and I fear we may all be disappointed somehow. I'd very much like to see rosters that will feature all the characters from scenes such as the Outlander, Mos Espa, Jabba's Palace, Cantina etcetera. They don't need a full bio, just a few phrases would do.

The two last excellent 'EG' were totally different from anything we had seen before. I'm really curious how they will pull this one off.

I really fear Dan will face hard decisions while making this book. I also fear the book will not contain enough new information. All the 'Essential Characters' will be characters we know so how much room will there be for the creation of new information?

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm just in it for the art.

RC-1991 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.