main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Gregor (Season 5 spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Coric, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The accents of rank-and-file clone troops are the result of the flash training they undergo. The programs were designed by Jango, and likely feature his voice issuing instructions and commands. All of the clones, including the commandos, went through that basic flash training regime, explaining why even Boss has the basic Jango accent. The commandos develop these different vocal inflections and characteristics based upon their training sergeants who took over to teach them further after completing the flash training. It's noted in the Republic Commando novels that most of Omega Squad have accent patterns closer to Kal Skirata, while Atin, who wasn't trained by Kal but by Walon Vau, has a voice more similar to Boss. The novels also state that it's Sev that most closely associates with Vau, the sergeant in charge of Delta Squad's training, and both have lower voices, generally slower speech patterns, and more deadpan attitudes.

I had always assumed, and the Republic Commando novels played with the idea, that the drastically different voices we hear from Delta's different members in the game are an audience-friendly means of expressing the more subtle differences in their vocals. Rather than looking at Scorch as sounding exactly like Raphael Sbarge, it's much more likely that he has a lighter vocal tone, a slight grit or rasp, and diction/inflection more similar to Sbarge, while still sounding similar to basic troops to an outside, untrained ear. It's comparable to the trouble many Americans have with distinguishing British accents; is the speaker English, Irish, Scotish, Welsh, or are they actually from Australia or New Zealand? Those who are familiar with the region will be able to place the speaker quickly, while brother clones or familiar Jedi officers have learned to pick up on those differences to a degree that they sound uniquely distinct of one another.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  2. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Well said.
    Just because they are a clone, doesn't mean they will talk the same (as we've seen with Cutup)

3. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

The CUTUP thing is tooooooooo odd! Where does one start talking like an Irish after nobody on your planet talks like an Irish. It was silly... and kinda stupid.

BUT I would have loved if Gregor was voiced by Temuera Morrison! That would rock!

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It kinda makes since clones might pick up different accents if they hear them from somewhere and talk that way on purpose so their voices have more differentiation.

5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    ok... ONE THING! I know it does make sense for the clones that travel the galaxy but here is where the logic fails with Cutup - he has never left Kamino before Rishi. I think that was there first assignment, for clones like Bly that came into contact with people like Aayla and the Lurmen I would not be shocked if he spoke with a french or irish accent.

6. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    French accented clone?! WHERE?! =P~

[face_tee_hee]

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    ^Commander Engarde?:p

8. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Awww yeah.

French mustached clone anyone?

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah- moustache and Fleur-de-Lis patterned armor.

10. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    I can imagine how annoyed Ahsoka will get.

11. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Someone make a Gregor meme:

WORKS ALONE, 'CAUSE WORKING IN SQUADS OF FOUR IS TOO MAINSTREAM

:p

12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Really looking forward to Gregor. I wonder how much of a role (beyond providing cover-fire for the astromechs and the DUM) he'll be playing in the droid arc.

By the way, is it confirmed to be an arc, or just a single droid-centric episode?

And to the OP, before I knew this thread existed, I translated some of the Aurebesh and read "Battle of Serrish" myself. What's interesting is that while I had never heard of "Serrish," Dan Grievous pointed out to me that there is a history of a Battle of "Sarrish" having taken place during the Clone Wars. Typo on behalf of TCW, or a whole new system and battle? If this is supposed to be the same battle, then other issues arise (as we discussed in the TCW Preview Clips Discussion thread) that need to be addressed.

For those of us who are heavily Clone-knowledgeable, which unit sports Gregor's faded yellow colours?

13. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    None. As Gregor is a new character, his squad is also likely to be new. Most commando squads don't have uniform markings, either.

14. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Gregor = Obi-Wan in disguise

eht13 likes this.
  15. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, if you do the math correctly...
    Gregor squared x Obi-Wan in disguise to the 8th power should be, hmm, Rako Hardeen to the 11th power?

16. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    Maybe it's cut and he just changed his name or something.

17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It is probably that the rest of his team is dead.

Looking at the comics, Commando squads have a habit of being cut down to one survivor.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Its not just the comics, all of the members of Omega Squad lost the rest of their original squads before being reformed into Omega Squad.

19. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    Good ol' Hard Contact.

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Can not wait for Gregor but I find the situation in the Commando clip both awesome and funny - Gregor is kicking butt but at the same time THE ENTIRE place is filled with explosive barrels that somebody could by accident set a flame... and then disaster! I mean with the B1's history of movements and actions, I would not trust them to guard a bomb factory.
    The bomb factory and enemies hiding behind bombs reminds me of an 80s cliche! BUT IT AWESOME still...

[​IMG]

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    He is fighting by himself, what a warrior! :p

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well he's got quite a pair if he is indeed the only clone in that scene... there's even a droideka rolling in to join the battle droids.

23. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I think he is the one-man army the Republic needs but does not deserve. :D

IMO This clone will have the guts of 5 Rex-es and 2 Hevy-s!

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [​IMG]
    "Go ahead Clankers, make my day...."

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    If Gregor turns out to be half as cool as he's looking, I'm hoping to see him survive his arc - survive the war, even. Heh, if he does live, maybe he could even make some more appearances later on. Too often, it seems, we get a good, interesting start to a character (hero or villain), and he/she is gone in a flash - either killed off right away, or just never really heard from again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.