main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sell something to me

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 4, 2012.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Depends. My views of Crosscurrent are colored by my disappointment in Riptide. Both fleshed out their characters rather well, focused on taking their own path instead of just latching on to the current story arc, and did their best to explore underdeveloped areas of the EU. Scourge is fascinating in that it explores a wider portion of the Hutt spectrum than most works, while still keeping true to who Hutts are. Some of the characters are rather flat, but Mander was, on the whole, a nice change of pace from the Jedi we tend to encounter in the EU nowadays- he's competent in some areas but quite deficient in others. It also makes much better usage of EU settings, species, and concepts than a lot of the other recent EU works (HEY GUYS, LET'S SPEND SOME MORE TIME ON CORUSCANT! LOL JACEN'S A SITH BECAUSE BOO MORAL COMPLEXITY). Admittedly the author is using his own pet characters as the antagonists- many of them appeared in the Tempest Feud campaign guide- but it works, because it allows for them to be fleshed out more realistically. The author also does his best to avoid species stereotypes- we see not-so-skeevy Hutts and jerk Wookiees, for example.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Rodians as inept mercenaries, on the other hand...

But yeah, Scourge has an otherwise good uses of species.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    To be fair, that's after 20 years of total isolation, embitterment, and it wouldn't be hyperbole to call them very, very extreme times (it's not like he's actually going to let the stormtroopers inspect his droids). The age Qui-Gon lived in was one of relative peace.

I actually find it more puzzling, in context, why he chose not to use the mind trick in the bar. One wouldn't think that creature (I know he's been given a name, but I can't remember it at the moment) would have a particularly strong mind, and no one was really watching. I guess he wanted to make a point by maiming him? A way of saying, "stay away from the boy"? Fairly... unlike... Obi-Wan, or at least the young one.

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    And a non-stereotypical Hutt ability - new to me, anyway!

5. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    But are Aqualish like Toydarians and Hutts - resistant to Mind Trick?

6. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Yes...it's coming back to me ...I did like all those things...I just didn't care what was happening around the worldbuilding...there weren't any real relationships that pointed towards anything. I thought initially that Mander was going off to more adventures with the sister and the other dude, but apparently not...

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Waves hand 'you will read Scourge and you will like it.' You do not need anymore convincing.

8. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I'll read Scourge, I bet I'll really like it. I don't need anymore convincing...... :p

Just kidding. :D
    I might give it a read after I finish everything else I have. Still, I can't get excited about, and I've tried to. :(

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I had low expectations going in and was impressed with it.

10. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Finish the X-Wing books! They're much funner! Yes, that's a word now.

But since there are clearly no weak minded peeps here, no Jedi mind tricks from me!

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Anyone who hasn't read the X-Wing books hasn't lived yet. How else are they supposed to know how sexy Selonians are?

Barriss_Coffee and Zeta1127 like this.
  12. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Otters, man. They are the way to go. I think Leia must have had some tense moments when Han was alone with them in that smexy, smexy coneship...

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Earlier today I just got a refresher course in how sexy Selonians are, after several years since the first class on the subject.

14. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Just watch the bling. :)

Zeta1127 likes this.
  15. desh

desh Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    I read the first x-wing book a while back. I remember enjoying it, but I don't remember the plot at all. I tried reading the second one, and I just couldn't get into it; I might have been burnt out on Star Wars at this point, though.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually think the X-Wing series needs a reread soon on my part... though what am I saying, I haven't even finished it yet. Have the last two (Isard's Revenge and Starfighters of Adumar) to go. Alas, though the latter is one of my most anticipated books to get to, I have to wade through a reread of the JAT and the Callista Trilogy... and maybe The Crystal Star. Can't remember which one comes first.

17. desh

desh Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2012
    Crystal Star is after Starfighters. I take it you read I, Jedi already? That's another one I can't seem to finish.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    But very fitting in a western environment which Mos Eisley was.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Nope, coming up soon.

20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Leia's last few days before ANH including the subjugation of Ralltiir: check.
    [​IMG]

Palpatine being a mother-flipping badass: check
    [​IMG]

A benevolent Clone Wars era clone troopers: check
    [​IMG]

Epic space battles featuring refitted CIS ships: check

[​IMG]

Freakin' sweet art: check
    [​IMG]

Basically it's a fun, exciting and nostalgic comic series full of classic OT characters, PT links and lots of nice continuity. I thoroughly urge you to check it out.

RC-1991 likes this.
  21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Seeing those images again brings back memories... :)

The one and only bad thing about Empire/Rebellion was its premature cancellation.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    jackg1 I recognize that last image from Vector, seeing as it's the only Rebellion I've read. [​IMG]

Well, I'm sold. To Dark Horse's digital store!

jackg1 likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This is actually selling me on re-reading Empire/Rebellion all over again...I'd forgotten how good it could be.

By seeing this image?

Tim Battershell likes this.
  24. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Or playing TOR!

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'll be odd man out here - I disliked Empire because it felt like a "bait-and-switch"; the first story line was an epic Imperial story, and then... well, for the most part it essentially because Rebellion after that. It was like buying TIE Fighter and then finding out that 80% of the missions you're flying X-Wings for the Alliance.
    Also, the Sewell story portrayed the Alliance pre-Yavin as being far weaker than almost every other source had portrayed it.