main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul Returns DVD (And other arcs you want to see in this format)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh, that's a disappointment. I thought from your other post about it that that wasn't then only significant change. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to get this. :p I could pick it up today on the way home from school (where I am now) if I wanted to, but I'm really not sure.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    If they are going to keep giving us 4-part arcs, I would actually pay extra for a well-produced Blu-Ray with them all edited together.

I remember people saying the Asajj/Savage arc in S3 was great when viewed all at once.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    To be clear, the four episodes are tightly-edited and perhaps subtle wasn't the best choice of words? The intro covers the preceding arc involving Savage/Dooku/Ventress and Talzin. Then we cut to the diner. From there, nothing was different to me other than the star-field, screen-wipes. I expected more than I what I purchased and believe my disappointment with the presentation is what fueled my less than stellar review.

Like I said earlier today, I would buy Umbara if were edited into one episode and the packaging was a little better. I don't hate it, but was underwhelmed by it...

4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    The editing changes were certainly noticeable but they really didn't change anything. The only major difference between the order of the episodes and the order of events in the feature is the fact that Ventress' exploits now happen at the same time that Savage finds Maul.

5. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Other arcs I would like to see edited together in a Blu-Ray set:

1. Malevolence Arc
    2. Gunray Arc
    3. Christophsis Battle
    4. Ryloth Arc
    5. Holocron Trilogy
    6. Geonosis Arc
    7. Mandalore Arc
    8. Kamino Trilogy
    9. Underworld Arc
    10. Nightsisters Trilogy/"Massacre"/"Bounty"
    11. Mortis Trilogy
    12. Citadel Trilogy
    13. Padawan Lost Arc
    14. Mon Cala Trilogy
    15. Umbara Quadrilogy
    16. Zygerria Trilogy
    17. Deception Quadrilogy
    18. Maul Returns

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't think I've watched any arc and thought to myself "man, I hope they re-release this edited together with extra scenes and market it separately." If they want to add stuff to the episodes, I'd hope they just did so for the Season box set. It would be different if they made a few extra episodes per season beyond 22 episodes (like 3-4 additional) that they then released on DVD/Bluray during the inter-season period.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
  8. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I watched the DVD directors cut tonight. There aren't any new scenes but they did intermingle the Assaj and Savage storylines, cutting some "fat", and made I think a much stronger piece. The intercutting mainly affected "Brothers" and I think made it work better. Here's the order:

- Brand new narrator prologue which tells the backstory of the conflict with Assaj, Savage, Dooku, and Talzin with her crystal ball.
    - Start at the "Brothers" diner scene with Savage, finding the dust on the crates, and Anakin/Ahsoka arriving. Anakin senses something sinister, but they CUT the scenes of Dooku sensing something, and Assaj sitting with Latz sensing it also. This is an improvement. Continue with Savage taking off in the cargo ship.
    - Cut to Assaj landing on Dathomir, play out the entirety of "Massacre."
    - Cut back to Savage landing on Lotho Minor, play out the rest of "Brothers" but end with Maul in Savage's face asking for revenge. They CUT the scene with Obi-Wan and Yoda sensing Maul still alive, which feels right. Also, this episode felt like less of a drag being broken up.
    - Cut back to Assaj now landing on Tattooine, and play out all of "Bounty." To me this is a very strong episode, possibly the best when examined alone. It is somewhat of a side track but it's so good and deepens Assaj's character so it works.
    - Cut back to Savage landing on Dathomir and play out all of "Revenge." Another strong episode that does well without any excising. In this version of the overall story, Kenobi's first scene is watching the hologram of Maul killing on Raydonia since the ending scene from "Brothers" was cut as mentioned. This works well and is much more efficient and less redundant.

Overall this is good for those who want a cleaner flow of this storyline, and it made improvements to Brothers by excising the needless parts, and improving the flow. Check it out if you are interested in a cleaner cut.

9. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
  10. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Apologies my friends. But it sounds like they just did some editing..The question I want to know. Is there new content worth paying for? If not, then to me anyways, is a waste of credits.

11. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Dammit, now I want that DVD.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_laugh]

The main thing making me hesitate is that I really don't love Bounty as much as the rest of the arc...

13. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    So, they cut stuff out, instead of adding to it.

They should have cut the stuff with Maul & Savage for an even better flow. [​IMG]

DarthTalgus, Drewton and Zeta1127 like this.
  14. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    [​IMG]

15. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. It felt really out of place with the rest of the arc.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  16. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I thought Bounty was a decent standalone episode, but it didn't fit as part of an arc IMO.

LordMortis315 and Humble_Jedi like this.
  17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Gunray arc and the Kamino arc are perfect for Movies. The Domino squad story is one of my faves about Clones cause it explores them without that exploring becoming annoying.

Mon Calamari arc would be good as a movie if THEY FIX IT!

If all the Nighsister episodes and Maul episodes are linked together, it would make for one fun marathon.

Deception arc has not enough stuff in it to serve as a movie but Umbara as bad as it is would make a great movie with Plan of Dissent having 10 of it's 17 minutes of talking compressed.

THAT... IS... WINNING!

Tikkes approves of that move...

Drewton likes this.
  18. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011

They'd actually just be selling you the complete collection.

19. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Though the release could have been much, much better had some more effort been put into it, I will say that watching the episodes edited together made for an interesting 80 minutes. The arc feels much more like a feature now, and watching it this way makes it feel slightly more epic than watching it in segments. Like I said before, if you're looking for major surprises then this release isn't for you. However, if you want a new perspective on the arc and are willing to pay $10 dollars for it then I say go for it.

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    http://theguildofoutlaws.wordpress....e-blu-ray-of-the-clone-wars-season-04-boxset/

Seerow CoricAkashKedavra_93 I think you will like this news:

But this one sounded painful

It is like that horrible scene was not long enough.

I love this idea:

KIT FISTO AS AQUAMAN!!!

As a fan of Grievous this one is the most important to see...

21. Mika-El-Hakim

Mika-El-Hakim Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2012
    Was Palps ever shown in a comic having such a dynamic fighting style like the one in a trailer?

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
  23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    So the Mon Cala arc is becoming Avatar [face_plain]

I get that Kit Fisto is of an aquatic species... but why does that qualify him to speak to presumably non-sentient aquatic life?

Most of the other changes are fine. As for the Pattites, I don't think there's a single thing from that episode save for the Adi vs. Grievous fight that could be extended and make me happy.

EDIT: And I like Bane and all, but is it really necessary to get an extended look at him reclaiming his hat?

24. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    None of them. I prefer to watch good episodes for one thing, and ever arc that could feasibly be put into this format has at least one piece of **** in it. And iTunes lets me watch that meager few good ones in 1080P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.