main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't like the re-design for Dr Nemesis at all, what idiot signed that off?

Also, I get that it's the guy's name but sticking it on the cover might not have the intended effect: "Hopeless" !?

Quite ambivalent about the pitch too, as a Cable book I should be going for it instantly but I'm just not convinced and I'm not as experimental as I used to be with writers either. Imagery should be good though as Larroca's on board.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    You don't like seeing it on a comic cover but imagine how it feels to live with that name.

soitscometothis likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It keeps throwing me on these promos:

HOPELESS

Huh !? Oh wait....

Frank T. likes this.
  4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Will read for Dr. Nemesis.
    I miss his surgical mask already though.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So now I'm curious. Which comic book character has died the most now? Pretty sure Jean has been dethroned if she was the leader.

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Jean has only died twice. The end of Second Coming was Xavier's third from memory. Magneto is also at 2 or 3.

7. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I think Chuck has to be in the lead. Unless someone from DC beats him?

So it's the 90s again for all comics then?

I must thank the publishers. I was starting to really go broke buying so many comics. Then the new 52 happened and I dropped down dramatically and bought a few marvel. Now this. I'm saving so much money thanks to these editorial decisions.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    How many times has Ras al Ghul been resurrected?

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't think it should count if it's their shtick. Otherwise, Resurrection Man would be the undisputed grand champion at no less than 40 in his 1990s series alone. That's not including the new 52 where they were killing him, like, three times an issue.

10. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I think that's like asking how many times Wolverine's healed. I was looking more at characters who are killable and who stay dead longer than one or two issues before coming back (ie: Sinestro's death in Blackest Night doesn't count because he was alive again before the issue even ended)

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'd lie if I didn't admit I'm ridiculously excited about Uncanny Avengers. I've wanted a book like this for years.

Rox likes this.
  12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm a sucker for anything Cable but the title is kind of meh. I also have to agree that X-Factor is the best X title right now it rides the outside edge of the AvX blahfest. I think once the relaunch or whatever it's being called happens Uncanny Avengers will take that spot for me. I'm really looking forward to the new teams.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I personally wouldn't count Ra's as it's the point that he can't be killed.

re: Uncanny Avengers

Rumour suggests Apocalypse is on the Red Skull's team, any truth to it?

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    According to Remender there are going to be three main villains: the new mutant hating Red Skull, Apocalypse, and Kang the Conqueror. Knowing him, the three storylines are going to cross here and there and eventually become a super-arc (I mean, Kang-as-Rama-Tut was directly responsible for the death of Apocalypse's tribe, so...), but I don't think Big A is going to start as part of Red Skull's team.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, so guess that means the notion Fantomex had of redeeming Poccy has gone up in smoke?

Reason I'm asking is I'm at the point now where I'm looking at the entirety of plot lines to see if I want to jump on-board, used to be I was buying Marvel's stuff in trade but their prices have gone up so my selection criteria must become more severe. So, for instance, I generally like Gillen's work but I'm very wry of JiM courtesy of the present Everything Burns story, similarly AvX for his Uncanny run.

Although, I'll confess to being sceptical of villain redemption stories in the big 2, you just know it's a doomed undertaking most of the time. If anyone was going to break that paradigm I'd hoped it would be Aaron/Rememnder.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    We'll see how UXF ends. Things are not looking good for Evan at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if both Genesis and Apocalypse were somehow spared. It's not like he hasn't been cloned before...

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    True, true, I'll keep scanning developments then - it'll decide if I get the likely inevitable Uncanny X-Force omnibus next year.

Thanks for the info though.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Missed the Pathfinder debut release. ARG.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I got New Mutants Classic volume 4 and The Essential Warlock the other week.

The New Mutants has some Bill Sienkiewicz art that blows me away as much today as it did when I first saw it decades ago; even Claremont's writing is good, coming from a time before he burned out.

Warlock I bought for the early Gil Kane drawn tales, as I have the Starlin classics in colour from the Warlock Special Editions Marvel brought out in the Eighties (which are superb). Kane's pencils are as dynamic as ever, even if the story is a little weird. Bob Brown takes over drawing the strip nearing the end of the story, and while he's competent, he's no Gil Kane.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've been reading Romantically Apocalyptic online. Zee Captain is just awesome, and the strip itself a work of mad genius. Anyone else been reading this?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  21. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope. But I am now. Thanks.

22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, AvX #12 spoiler info is all the net.

For myself? Marvel have basically done everything I anticipated and more! They have, practically, gifted me an excellent, line-wide jumping off point as I tradewait for expected OHCs/trades.

There are a number of plot threads I'm following that conclude around the same time as AvX or likely before - Brubaker's Winter Soldier, Rucka's Punisher, Fraction's Iron Man, Hickman's FF duo - I can't say I'm now inclined to check out the rest of Gillen's X-run given the destination now being known.

So any survivors post-these final volumes? Well, there is that Age of Ultron event, can't really turn down Hitch art and it's bound to get the OHC treatment as it's Bendis too. And then, there is, if it survives Marvel Now, the ultimate survivor title of X-Factor - which will probably will be the series I still buy in trade. Beyond that? Kind of hard as Marvel have, with AvX, systematically removed much of what was still drawing my interest to the X-books.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Upping for MyKe-ness.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They made a "sequel" to that Wrightson book with all of the Eerie and Creepy work of Richard Corben. Corben is a master.

Of a similiar vein, I am fanboying out of my mind over IDW/Yoe's horror anthology series. Fourth one comes out this month. Those Dr. Wertham target comics were my bread and butter when I was growing up.

So, what are people's thoughts on Marvel NOW? Not, "NOW' as in today... but the actual 'relaunch'.