main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ''That movie'' in Benghazi.

Discussion in 'Community' started by BaronNoir, Sep 12, 2012.

1. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    Just a simple question

Anyone found it a bit bizarre that the alleged filmmaker took a pseudonym and got into hiding AFTER taking care of mentionning that he was Jewish and the backers of the films were Jewish ?

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'd like to know why they poured oil onto the fire in the first place. It's much worse than yelling fire in a crowded theater.

Not only depicting Mohammed, but depicting him as an adulter, a pedophile, and a homosexual?

Yeah, you have the right to free speech... but don't abuse that right. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The reaction is even more ridiculous than the movie, of course. Nobody knew about this movie until the embassy attacks. I think there should be an investigation as to why Egyptian and Libyan TV were supposedly showing clips of this movie and working the people into a frenzy on 9/11. Probably didn't mention how nobody in the country had even seen or heard of this movie before too.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    They're like the Westboro Baptist Church, they deliberately do crap that they fully know will shock, provoke and offend a particular audience. The difference is that the WBC doesn't have a button they can press to instantly and reliably cause major international incidents.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's an anti-American marketing piece. The whole "$5 million production paid for by 100 jews" is just part of the marketing.

5. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    Those crowds, TBH, like extremely easy to anger.

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I don't suppose saying "This man does not represent us" will calm them down?

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  8. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    What is delicious is to think how easily truthers believed the tale about the eeevil jooo making the film.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Those Muslims need to stop taking their religion so damn seriously. It's just a movie. It doesn't hurt anybody.

10. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Islam needs a Life of Brian, or a Last Temptation of Christ.

Or really just a period of Enlightenment.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or an iconoclasm? Of course, that proved to disastrous for the Byzantines...

RC-1991 and Debo like this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Even if it offends you, peaceful protest is fine. Murdering people and assaulitng foreign property is not acceptable.

I know people who hate South Park because it mocks their religion, but they don't go around trying to murder the makers of the show or other people. If it offends you, don't watch it.

13. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Or a south park.

I read an article where a protester justified his actions by saying Christian Americans would be just as pissed off if Muslims mocked the Pope or Abe Lincoln. Ha, as if.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Some would. Sadly.

15. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    If they really want to get to us then they just need to spoil the next episode of Breaking Bad....

RC-1991 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you see how they're trashing Sydney because of this film. All this hate over an imaginary friend!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    They already had one. While Europe was busy burning its books and trying to ensure that no one other than monks could be literate, Ibn Sina et al were preserving and building on the work of Aristotle. The problem is that in the modern era, an excessively large percentage of the population lacks access to education and socioeconomic opportunity. Desperate and directionless people in general will try violence when they see no other possibilities.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good thing they're not rioting over something as deeply significant to the human psyche and civilization as a football game.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, it's too bad America's education system is going down the drain and the unemployment rate is so high. Wait, we are talking about America right?

20. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    That wasn't a period of Enlightenment: it was a foreshadowing (of a period of Enlightenment). One without a future. This period--we call it the Renaissance, of course--never blossomed into an Enlightenment as we know it, it didn't have the effects ours had, and it wasn't as widespread, as inevitable. Why--what caused this promising set-up to stall? What stopped the notion of free will to break through; how could dogma triumph over reason in the end? Historical events and attitudes are part of it.

You say that some Islamic literary freethinkers were preserving the works of the Greeks: and that, precisely that, also may be part of the answer. All this knowledge was preserved. It was memorized, protected--kept away--whereas it could have been fuel for dynamic change, revolution, rupture. It was centuries before the invention of that useful tool, the printing press.

A similar phase of "foreshadowing" (a willingness to change to modernity in different fields) happened later in the 19th century, but there was no technology, no science, to match it. Then, in the 20th century, the advent of anti-Westernism began.

Thick tomes could be written about this... But not by me.

Today, in Islam, there are hundreds of potential Voltaires, Montesquieus, even Spinozas and Erasmuses, but in the current political climate they will have little chance of succeeding. That climate feeds on riots, dissatisfaction, poverty, imaginary opponents.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I just got a book on this very subject--the Western debt to Islamic thinkers. Haven't read it, and I'm not sure how much I'll actually learn from it since it seems to be intended for popular audiences but I have to say that if we could only credit Islam for one thing, it would be Islamic medicine. They were the first to break away from Galen (so much for keeping knowledge behind lock and key) and actually innovate in the area of medicine, and for that alone we owe them a huge ton.

That they never got to an Enlightenment might be because while Western Europe was shielded by the Eastern Roman Empire long enough for it to have a renaissance and a subsequent enlightnment, the Islamic golden age was shattered by the Altaic invasions.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  22. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Sure. I'm not an expert on that, but yes, of course. I didn't mean to suggest all knowledge was literally stored and guarded somewhere in a high tower. Obviously much of it spreads, especially in the field of science.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OK but if people in, say, rioted over the results of a Premier League match, then your analogy fits.

Debo is right about the Enlightenment and how the Islamic world desperately needs one.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What do you suppose are the preconditions for an enlightenment, I wonder?

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think it's anywhere near that simple or even necessarily desirable (at least not for the Westerners who are calling for such a thing). The Europe that experienced the Enlightenment was an economic and political powerhouse on its way to world domination. Especially with regards to politics, the ideals of the Enlightenment produced violent upheavals and governmental changes on a much greater scale and for much longer than the so-called Arab Spring. It also produced a severe backlash that lasted for a good long while. And, contrary to popular belief, Enlightenment thought was very diverse and it'd be easy to argue that it hasn't been fully applied in the modern West anyway.