main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by moosemousse, Sep 3, 2012.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    First of all, I'm a huge MLP:FIM fan. Huge, I tells ya, huge! I don't have any toys yet as I'm kinda broke and my video games addiction seems to like keeping me that way, but I'm going to get the comics when they come out and I've got a friends who's sending me some CCG spares! So yeah, huge fan and I love show so much.

I know that the show is popular with pretty much everyone, but has anyone else here written any fanfiction? I'm waiting until the final creases have been ironed out before I start posting anything, but it'll be fun to read what other people have written.

There is one that I'm really enjoying right now. It's called 'Fallout: Equestria' and it's a Fallout/MLP:FIM cross-over. What's great is that some clever person has compiled it into various ebook formats so I can read it on my kindle. I don't think I can link to it in here, but I'm happy to pass it on in PM.

So come on, come all, share your pony fics! Bronies are more than welcome!

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I love MLP, but I'll admit that I've never read Or written fanfic about it. I'm a bit scared to, honestly.

3. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, if you like the Fallout games then Fallout: Equestria is worth checking out. It's complete and is well over 600k words long! But yeah, it's the only fanfic I've read. I'm looking forward to getting the comics as it'll be interesting to see how it works in a different medium. Star Wars and Star Trek are, to me at least, primarily the films and TV series, but there's also the books so it's not hard to go from enjoying it as a fan to writing my own stories. MLP doesn't really have that so I'm not sure about writing it either.

If you do write something, I'd love to read it!

Oh, and Rainbow Dash is the best pony ever! I even asked my comic shop specifically for the Rainbow Dash covers (there are six variants, one for each pony).

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm writing one on fimfic called 'The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds'. it's a crossover between FiM, MLP G1 with elements from other 80's Hasbro properties.

My favorite pony? Trixie.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I can't pick a favorite. I love Fluttershy, but then Rarity will do something amazing, and then Rainbow Dash will do something amazing too...

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm not too fond of Pinkie Pie anymore. Her actions in 'A Friend In Deed' have seriously soured me on her.

7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You should invite Skiara from the German Forums in here! She is totally into "My little pony".

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh Skiara you've been summoned! :p

9. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    *got summoned and appears*

Wouhups... Where am I? Oh, MLP... I really like them and I love the winter icon we have, but I'm not so much into it as Nicole made it sound. I love the old ones - those that got created about 20 years ago and the tv show was gorgeous. :D

Never wrote a fanfic either.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Ah, G1 and Dream Valley and Megan. Or, as I like to call it, Nightmare Canyon!

Seriously, everything in that show was out to end the ponies!

11. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    *pokes head in thread*

I just spent the past few minutes with my jaw hanging open while watching the This Day Aria on YouTube. I feel an addiction coming on . . .

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Welcome to the Herd.... :D

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Welcome, lazykbys_left! I've been rewatching the whole series from the beginning in preparation for season 3, which should start soon, I hope.

I've also had the best cross-over idea ever. Basically it'll be MLP/Warhammer 40k, with an Inquisitor pony and other awesome stuff. Not sure how I can tie some of the MLP stuff in, like places in Equestria or cutie marks and stuff. I'm guessing I could just use Equestria as the whole setting, which is what the Fallout: Equestria writer did. Warhammer 40K Inquisitors have rosettes to show who they are but I'm not sure that as a cutie mark would work. Anyone got any ideas?

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
  15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I have a question! For my 40K/MLP cross over fic, would you want me to have my OCs interact with the characters from MLP or just have references to them?

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm... if it's a crossover, having them meet would be best, methinks.

17. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Wellll . . . I would say it depends on the story you want to tell. How involved in the story would the MLP characters be? More than once I've been disappointed to find my favorite characters making a cameo appearance in Part One and then dropping off the face of the earth for the rest of the fic.

'Course, in the end it's your story and you're free to do whatever you wish.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    lazykbys_left not sure yet. I want them to be in it but I don't want them to dominate the story.

I want to read it but I'm rubbish at reading things on a screen. Could you make it an ebook when it's finished?

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Well... I have absolutely no idea how to do that. [face_blush]

20. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    WARNING: This post is the result of a couple hours of late-night googling and trial-and-erroring. There's probably a quicker and much easier way of doing this, but . . .

[h2]Converting online fics to eBook format the quick and dirty way[/h2]

0. download a program or two

There's a free eBook managing program called Calibre. I don't know the full extent of its features, but it can convert files to eBook format(s) and that's good enough for me.

If you aren't using Firefox, what's wrong with y- . . . ahem. Firefox can give you the HTML source code for the bit you highlight. If your current browser has this feature, forget I mentioned this.

1. save the fic in a HTML file

Because Calibre can't convert Word files, that's why [face_grumble]

My preferred method is to:
    - a. open the web page
    - b. highlight the fic
    - c. right click -> View Selection Source
    - d. copy & paste to new text document
    - e. repeat for as many pages as necessary
    - f. save as wossname.html

Actually, you can just CTRL-S to save the page's HTML source code, but I prefer not to have ads, the contents of drop-down menus, and other such stuff cluttering the page. And one file is much easier to keep track of than several.

Also, you can copy & paste the fic into Word and save as a HTML file, but I don't like the extra tags Word shoves in.

2. open HTML file with Calibre

Open Calibre, click the Add books icon, and select wossname.html.

3. convert to eBook format

Select the wossname, click the Convert books icon, ignore the headache from puzzling over the options and click OK.

It's probably possible to skip this step and send converted files directly to your eBook reader.

4. send to your eBook reader

Select the wossname, right click -> Send to device.

If you skipped Step 3, right click -> Send to device -> Send specific format.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I have this right or not owing to the fatal flaw that I don't own an eBook reader.

5. um . . .

If this doesn't work, you will find google a far better friend than I could ever be. :D

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks, Lazy. I will... try.

And I think I'm gonna start posting some of my pony fics here, like Spanner in the Works.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
  23. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Oooooookaaaaayyyyyy . . .

It's 1:35AM in this part of the world, I've just finished watching A Canterlot Wedding, I have to go to work in the morning, and I have a dozen MLP:FiM plot bunnies screaming in my ears.

Piece of cake. :D

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Ah, Chrysalis. And the changelings, Shining Armor and Cadance.

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, to jumpstart some discussion, who are your favorite characters?