main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Matthew Woodring Stover Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

1. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I never really could get into the Gentlemen. I read the first book, and liked the story...its just that the writing didn't really draw me in.

I really want to like it...but mainly find myself indifferent.

That said, I think it is obligitory that we pimp Matt's newest novel, Caine's Law. That book is amazing.

Also, all of the Acts of Caine are on Audible now. They were very well done by Stephan Rudniki, a vet narrator. Definitely pick them up if you're into audiobooks.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I listened to a sample of the Heroes Die audiobook... mixed reactions, really. I'm pretty new to audiobooks, and as of yet have never even listened to a full one, so I'm not sure if they tend to be closer to straight readings, or like audio dramas with one actor.

On one end, the narrator does have a very nice voice. On the other, not sure how well it fits. Caine's dialogue sounded strange coming from him; definitely doesn't have that "smartass" vibe. I remember Caine tells a character near the end of Blade of Tyshalle that if he ever sees him again, he'll "**** him up". I almost can't imagine the narrator saying a line like that without laughing.

That said, I imagine he'll make a damn fine Ma'elKoth.

On that subject, fun note; in this article, Rudniki actually singles the Acts of Caine books out among the 300+ he's recorded as some of his favorites. Pretty cool.

jedimaster203 likes this.
  3. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    I would say to give the audiobooks a chance, Instantdeath. They aren't for everybody, but I've listened to probably over 100 audiobooks, and Rudniki gives a hell of a performance.

Since we're talking about Audiobooks, just want to say that if you're looking for stellar performances...you can't beat Mark Hamill's reading in World War Z :)

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Matthew Stover's Star Wars books are among some of the best SW books ever.
    The Episode 3 novelization was amazing from the start. That's why my sig is the first words of the book. I could go on and on but that would take a while.
    Traitor was good as well. Vergere was such an enigma. We need another character like that and LOTF ruined her character
    Shatterpoint was an excellent Mace Windu story. The dream of the sacking of Coruscant was great. Mace had so many great lines.
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor was a great look at the battle of Mindor

Zeta1127 likes this.
  5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've heard about that, actually. Must remember to investigate further.

And yeah, next time I reread the Caine books, I'll likely do it following along to the audiobook. Only thing about audiobooks is that I'm normally a very fast reader, but I imagine speed is the price you pay for added dramatic tension and so on.

6. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    I reverted to audiobooks because of time constraints. It is slower for me to listen to a book, but I can do it while i'm driving or mowing. I work full time, go to school full time, and have a wife and newborn. If I actually get to sit down and read something, it generally tends to be "Goodnight, Moon" (yes, I read to my two month old daughter :p)

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    While on the Caine subject, anyone know whatever happened to the planned Overworld comic? Is that still set to launch? I'd love to see it.

8. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    The last update the guys sent out was that they were involved in some legal issues that was preventing the comic from being released. The first issue was mostly finished, and they had sent it out to "Beta readers". Due to the NDA, nobody has been allowed to discuss it.

I tried checking overworld.tv, but the website is down. It looks to be dead in the water. I'll ask around and see if I can't find something out. I was really excited about it.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't speak to Shatterpoint and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor yet, but I completely agree and I am going rectify that problem in the very near future.

10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I regret procrastination on getting The Tenebrous way

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Read them! You must read them!

12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I know, I know. I plan on getting the Clone Wars series soon enough, but I had to get the Thrawn Trilogy and the X-wing series first, since I am tired of not having them.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing series are the more important books. When you say Clone Wars, do you mean 2002-2005 or the 2008 to present? Sorry had to ask.

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    There is only one Clone Wars series, the one from the Clone Wars multimedia project from 2002-2005, if I was referring to Filoni's fanon I would say TCW or the Filoniverse.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Right. I forgot that you were one of those on the temp boards that called it that.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I think Zeta is the one who started calling it that.

Anyway, yeah, both Shatterpoint and Shadows of Mindor are very good. I actually consider Shadows of Mindor to be one of his best. It's how I imagine his Flash Gordon novel must have been like.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  17. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    Just got an update about the Overworld Project. They are shooting for a Halloween release!

There was also other news in the update about a new Star Wars novel by Matt, but I don't know if Moe and the others are just rumor mongering. He doesn't strike me as the type, but I don't wanna spread rumors either. It it is true...EVERYBODY WILL REJOICE BECAUSE IT IS AMAZING AND AWESOME! Awemazing.

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What rumor? Tell me moar

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Please let there be a new novel. Dark Empire!

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "In other news Matt is replacing Karen Traviss as the author of the 501st novels for Star Wars.

You all should not only drop him a line congratulating him but you should also tell a friend or three about the great news."

:eek:

Master_Keralys likes this.
  21. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Dude...not funny. If only because he's one of the few authors with Star Wars now that would not only do an amazing job as usual, but would be respectful of the characters, and faithful to the overall feel of the series. You got my hopes up just long enough to do a frantic Google search, and have them come crashing right back down. :(

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well that's what was posted on his Kickstarter update. I think you can only see it if you backed the project, though. If someone's joking, it isn't me.

23. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You mean this? As in, that might actually be legit? Because if it is, that might be the best news I've heard come out of Star Wars in...I don't even know!

24. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    Yeah, generally, I don't think Moe and those guys are the type to yank peoples chains like that...but Kickstarter is hardly a credible source.

I actually did send Matt a message congratulating him and asking him if we are being yanked.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    My mind can't even comprehend such a thing.

Master_Keralys likes this.