main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Future of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Except I don't think he's representing the state's form of government at all. Louisiana is set up under its constitution much like the US Federal government is. The executive branch, ie the "governor" can't levy taxes on its own. The governor can either approve or veto bills sent to him by the legislature. If it's vetoed, the legislature can either then modify the bill, or attempt to override the veto (with a 2/3 vote) So yeah, if the legislature presents a bill raising taxes, and the governor signs it into law, I guess the governor "raised taxes" in a matter of speaking, but it's obviously more complicated than that. The reverse is also true.

The governor doesn't directly control the budget either(except those direct cabinet positions). The budget falls to the legislature. Under its constitution, Louisiana has a specific organization set up to handle its state sponsored educational system. The Board of Regents. The governor outlines his intent, and the board can go along with it or assign other areas, which are then proposed to the legislature to enact. Once the legislature does so, the governor either approves or vetoes it, to which see above....

I don't think this system (maybe with minor differences here and there) is that different than the system that any other state, or the fed uses.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, you certainly have a point about the structure of government. On the other hand, though, there is nothing stopping Jindal from proposing tax increases in the same way he proposed budget cuts, and requested the $150 million from the university finances specifically. Regardless of how much of it makes it into law, he can still get credit/blame for the personal vision of the state that he chose to articulate as a solution to the state's problems.

3. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    On the elliptical - hard to type on my phone. Go through the links, Wocky.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    After watching quite a few speeches at the 2012 Republican Convention, here's how I grade those speeches:

I'd say the rising stars are that could decide the future of the Republican Party are: Rice, Martinez, Haley, Ryan, Christie, Rubio.

Maybe throw in Jindal, Santorum, McDonnell. Pawlenty is done, I think.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Laura Ingraham: the Republican Party is a failure and should be shut down

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ouch. She's dead-on about the same people, though.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The problem is, most people truly understand that "Obama's record" is also the Republican congressional record, and that whatever his political failings are, the Republican congress helped them along. Everyone knows this is true. The Republican house has been running a two-year negative ad campaign against a Romney administration, maybe the biggest policy miscalculation in modern political history. "This is the Great Recession, But Our Number One Goal Is Ousting Obama."

Also, the ideology at the heart of the modern Republican platform is soulless and fundamentally anti-Christian, which makes things tough for moderate Christians whose faith structure isn't resting on a sandy foundation of homophobia and second class status for women. Jesus and Ayn Rand are like matter and anti-matter.

Finally, the demographics problem is not going away for the party. Eventually, the pendulum of centrist politics will swing back leftward. The forty-year swing to the right is losing its momentum quickly. Reagan gets too much credit for creating the modern conservative movement. Nixon did that. Reagan just salvaged its integrity and dehumanized its domestic policy platform.

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, Nixon didn't create the modern conservative movement either. Goldwater did. He reorganized the constituencies along the southern strategy lines(even though he lost before that realignment was complete).

You have to remember that while Nixon perfected that southern strategy, he was just as secure to expand the Great Society than dismantle it(with the creation of OSHA, EPA, etc).

He also practiced a large dose of foreign policy realism with Henry Kissinger(who was a part of the Brennan realist school).

So it's not really accurate to call Nixon the founder of the modern conservative movement. Being Eisenhower's VP for many years influenced his thinking, especially regarding foreign policy.

Nixon was more of a last of the old first of the new blend.

And I wouldn't hold your breath for a swing back away from the new-new right, especially regarding foreign policy.

When you have a democratic president in a love affair with armed drones, largely keeping the two war strategy in place(despite what Romney claims), and signing the NDAA, then I wouldn't hold my breath for a swing to the left.

No, not any time soon.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Except that your definition of "left" is Jimmy Carter. A Democratic President launching wars...

[​IMG]

and ordering assassinations
    [​IMG] is hardly unusual.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would say that Nixon was rather the first of the new--he was a political outsider, a conservative from out west along the lines of a Robert Taft Republican. He just had to contend with the then-powerful eastern establishment of the GOP (remember the Fifth Avenue Compromise?). Nixon tried to take over from the inside by pretending to be one of them. Goldwater, on the other hand, went in from the outside and used a grassroots movement to effectively seize control of the '64 GOP Convention, whose delegates were completely unrecognizeable to those in power.

11. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Boba, how do you think your observation fits in with Jabba's post though? The US will never have a left-leaning foreign policy. (well, I won't say "never," but it won't for the forseeable future)Johnson's foreign policy was in-line with GWB's, 40 years before the fact. JFK's foreign policy (especially with regards to the cold war) laid the foundation for Reagan's. Again, 20 years before the fact. Pick any President, from Eisenhower on forward, from either party, including Obama, and you get a very small deviation away from the "right" side of the foreign policy spectrum. Carter probably mucked up the US's relation with the Middle East more than any, from the fiasco with the Shah, the Iranian revolution, and the Sinai, all of which are still being felt today. The elder Bush was probably the most neutral in this regard, if one sets aside Desert Storm. (which still had tremendous bi-partisan and international support)

There is still some room for party- pendulum swings with regards to internal social issues, but those are quickly being exhausted as well. The 2nd Amendment issue is all but decided within the US. The same sex marriage issue has one more high court case left, which will come within the next couple of years, and then it will be decided as well. The remaining issues are pretty much state-based which will bring small differences among the union. There are not a lot of issues left that are going to allow large swings by either party. As a result, the question isn't "what is the future of _____ party," but rather, how are both parties going to adapt to become stewards of all sorts of smaller variations.

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    FWIW, social "issues" will never truly be solved, IMO. I mean, seriously-Roe Vs. Wade was 40 years ago and there's still lawmakers trying to curtail its effect, at least on a states level. Ditto with voting-the last significant change to that was women's suffrage, in the 1910s, and now there's new voter ID laws.

That being said, foreign policy is a whole different game. Barring a vastly different United States-and I don't mean "neocon in charge", I mean no longer being what we think of as this country-other countries do not have to go along with us. Wrapping yourself (figuratively) in the flag, or at the other end of the spectrum, trying to be everyone's BFF for life, don't have a place there, and it's been demonstrated to both parties plenty of times.

I think hope that we'll eventually see a breakup of our two major political blocs. Far-rightists and what far-lefts are still in the Democrats can go off and sit in their troll caves while the cores of what remains of both parties can get actual work done. I don't think it'd have much of an effect on foreign policy, as Congress in general actually has very little control over that, but I think it'd be pretty ideal for domestic issues-keep the fringe from affecting the main.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [face_laugh]

You gotta keep 'em separated...

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Taft republicans are known as the Old Right(Taft, Coolidge, etc). I dont think Nixon can be squarely pegged into old right or new right. He's the transitional figure much like Ike was.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I didnt say it was. In fact, most Democrats of the last century were the real warmongers: Wilson, Truman, JFK, LBJ.

But Vietnam and the civil rights movement realigned the parties.

So Nixon was not, by the very definition, the founder of the new right. He wasn't a member of the Old Right Taft-wing either. He was a pragmatist like his former boss Ike.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Only after he entered office. Under Eisenhower, he represented that wing (which was why he was nominated for VP, to assuage the Taft supporters who were angry that Cabot Lodge and Dewey had drafted Eisenhower for the liberal wing of the party). Once he was in office, he did a lot of new things--EPA, price controls, all that fun stuff. But that's not the school he represented at first.

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Well, that could be said about plenty of politicians. I just cant see Nixon as a New Right person. And in practice he was not and Old Rightist either.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Ehh...Vietnam didn't have nearly the affect on the party you're thinking it did. For Carter and Dukakis, yeah, but both of them were lame ducks to say the least. The next Democratic President (Clinton) was considerably more warlike-Kosovo and Serbia were easily wars we didn't have any particular reason to get into besides it being the right thing to do. Ditto Somalia. If anything, Carter was the exception, not the rule. The Democrats have always been willing to wage wars of idealism and national necessity.

20. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Yes, the "Democrats-as-peaceniks" meme has precious little validity. Apart from George McGovern, I can't recall any Democratic nominee who was staunchly anti-imperialist.

In fact, I think I'll write McGovern's name in come Election Day. It beats voting for Obomb'em.

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The Tea Partiers are willing to vote for Romney, so you should vote for Obomb'em.

I'm not kidding either, if this election were between Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum, I'd be more than happy to vote for the former.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Explain that to Humphrey(who lost) and McGovern(who lost).

But back to the larger question: you're making the point of my original post. The dems are just as far to the right when it comes to militancy as the republicans with a few exceptions(noted above).
    And this isnt going to change any time soon, despite Jabba's assertions. There is zero evidence for a foreign policy swing back to a less-hawkish stance.

And who said anything about Jimmy Carter? The guy raised defense spending and, as someone who studied defense procurement for a few years, I can say the guy had plenty of advanced weapons systems approved on his watch.

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure, but he also carved the bejesus out of the non-advanced stuff, including letting the Army wither on the vine. Which was sortof a big deal at the time. :p

And that was my original point about Democrats not being traditionally warlike. :p

But Vietnam and the civil rights movement realigned the parties.-you

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Letting the army wither on the vine? M1Abrams entered service in............................what year? Did the peanut farmer put a stop to it?

Who said the dems werent traditionally warlike? My point was Obama was right wing when it came to war and that there wouldn't be a swing back away from that. When both parties are wedded to virtually the same policy, a swing back isn't coming any time soon.
    Vietnam created the potential success of Eugene McCarthy and McGovern, both of whom ran on an anti-Vietnam platform. So it certainly did impact the dems at the time. It also damaged the dem PR for a generation about how they were perceived as "soft" on defense(which really wasn't the case. They just weren't as aggressive as they used to be and as the GOP had become).