main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    INCOMING TRANSMISSION FROM THE OFFICE OF THE CHANCELLOR

*A hologram slowly begins to form eventually coalescing into a
    humanoid shape. The cross T visor and beskar armor identify
    him as a Mandalorian mercenary. A jetii'kad trophy swings freely
    at his belt as he begins to speak.*

Greetings, gentlebeings, allow me to introduce myself. I am Bardan_Jusik Mandalorian warrior and currently under contract to the EU Senate as Director of Security. As per the EU Constitution, Lady Adalia-Durron has stepped down as Chancellor and dissolved the current government. The time has come for the Senators of all threads to come together and elect a new Chancellor, a strong Chancellor. If your thread has no sitting Senator, you may elect one and be represented in the Senate.

The candidates thus far are; Adalia-Durron, the incumbent, for Chancellor
    and her running mate for Vice-Chancellor, Albaholly. Opposing
    them are Evil_King_Wiggins for Chancellor and his running mate
    Sinrebirth for Vice-Chancellor. The vote is scheduled for 23
    January. If you have any other candidates you wish to nominate or wish to add to the discussion follow this link

http://boards.theforce.net/eu_community/b10194/31471142/p2/?31

We in the Senate look forward to your participation.

END TRANSMISSION

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Unlock and bump following Move.

And also to discussion the new information Apocalypse gave us about Jacen Solo!

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No, just no!

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You're such a spoilsport, Zeta! :p Unless we want a separate Darth Caedus thread, that is. I wouldn't mind opening one separately if the members of the FC would rather keep Caedus separate.

5. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I'd rather Caedus not exist at all, (sigh) but since I don't have that option, I guess we can keep it all here. Jacen was only Sithly for about a year, after all.

6. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I just simply never envisioned Jacen Solo falling to the dark side, not after TUF, and I am horrified that Del Rey went that route.

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Jacen was a Sith apprentice for nearly four months, and the Dark Lord of the Sith for six months.

Less than a year.

Which probably makes it seem even more wasteful, but as an idea I'm not opposed to it (as evident elsewhere). Apocalypse has done a great deal to putting more logic behind Jacen's fall, I'd say.

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't see any logic in Jacen falling to the dark side, all I see is a betrayal of Traitor and a cheap knockoff of his grandfather Anakin Skywalker during the PT.

9. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    I've got to agree with Zeta. LFL didn't like the view of the Force that Stover wrote, and what better way to kill that line of thought than kill the most vocal proponent of it.

I confess that I've not read FotJ, but from what I've learned here there are SO many problems with the main premise as to be useless. We are led to believe that Jacen knew that Allana was his little girl BEFORE she was born. If you see the galaxy burning because of a little girl, and you know that the little girl in question is Tenel Ka's, then DON'T sleep with Tenel Ka. If we assume the premise that Jacen thinks that he can change this vision, than we should also assume that he would know that he can change the vision he has when fighting Nelani. We are further led to believe that in the ten years between his return and when he started his 'fall', that he not once tried to take out Abeloth, a being he KNEW existed. We are led to believe that in the five years between her birth and his 'fall' that he did not spend any time teaching Allana how to use her force talents, talents she would need to fight for her survival.

Time travel plots have a tricky way of raising more questions than they answer, and this whole series is proof of that. No, FotJ is nothing but a foul attempt to blame all that went wrong with the galaxy on one Jacen Solo so that the author (I'm looking at you, Denning) would not have to address other, more complicated, plots.

Sorry, I'm probably preaching to the choir.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  10. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I refuse to read the Denningverse, because all I see is a betrayal of Traitor and no desire to even explore it, which led to making Vergere a Sith, on the word of unreliable sources, and having Jacen become someone else completely.

SiouxFan likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Jacen didn't know about Abeloth at all. He left the Maw before meeting her or even talking to her.

Jacen's answer to Allana's possible fall was to create a galaxy so orderly she could never fall.

To Nelani, he did change the future - by killing her.

12. Ava

Ava Jedi Master star 1

Jul 30, 2007
    So very true. The Jacen building into Caedus feels like an entirely different character to me. We read through this kids entire youth, all his growing pains, and I never expected this to be his path. It just didn't seem real to the character, the character he was.

And I won't even get started on flow-walking. x_x]

Zeta1127 likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I always took the jolt in character to be a result of the 5 year gap between TUF and DNT. And the jolt has been explained, after all.

14. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Explained how? That he saw a little girl next to a dark man? I get that she looks like Tenel Ka, so it would be pretty easy to see who her mother is, but how does Jacen make the leap that he is her father? He hadn't seen Tenel Ka in ages when he sees this Allana.

My point that I was trying to make with Nelani is this: he sees Allana in a vision and tries to change that outcome. (I still don't buy that he knew it was his daughter, but I'll overlook it) He sees a vision while fighting Nelani. If he thinks it is possible to change the vision of the 'Dark man', than he should also know that his vision of Luke is likewise only one possible outcome. In his fight with Nelani, Jacen believes that this is the ONLY future there is: Nelani dies or Luke does. Yet, EARLIER in the time line (in FOTJ), he believes that he can change this future. When did he unlearn what he learned? If Jacen was unaware of Abeloth, why does he get blamed for releasing her? (it?) I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'd really like to know. As I've said, I've only skimmed a couple of the books (mostly to read about Allana and TK).

If Jacen thinks that his uncle is the dark man that is corrupting his future daughter, why does he not hunt Luke down? It would have been a better 'Minority Report' story than what we got.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  15. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    The whole Allana retcon was simply a retcon to try and make some sense out of the ultra-moronic Fall. It didn't work. It was still a stupid move. It still is a stupid move and forever will be idiotic.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Jacen partook of the various timelines where Nelani lived. When she lived, Luke died. Although the future was not fixed, it did congregate, or flow. Jacen could see a point coming that Luke would die, and he did not, at that stage, want that. So he killed Nelani. In a way, Jacen saw what was coming and headed it off - he had the choice of where the flow would go, and chose where to send it.

It may have been that change that meant that Abeloth was released, or it may have been the culmination of events leading up to him seeing Allana on a white throne. Personally, I do not believe his decision in Betrayal was a change as Jacen had the choice presented to him by Lumiya and Nelani. This is backed up by the vision that he receives above Hapes in Tempest of a Sith dynasty arising out of Hapes, which ties in with a future where Allana falls. Had the change in Betrayal been sufficient, Jacen would not have seen the latter vision a month later.

17. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    I ddn't recall him seeing a Sith dynasty coming from Hapes. I remember the Mine vision, but my interpretation was that Hapes belonged to him because of his attachment to Allana.

In your view of his battle with Nelani (a view I agree with), Jacen is presented with two options, both of them bad. Having no time in which to decide, he chooses the one which appears to the least amount of damage as a whole to the galaxy. Disregarding what Jacen turned into later, because when the book came out we had no idea what the future held, why did SO many people blast him for this decision? Nelani could not save the galaxy, whereas Luke could. What was he supposed to do?

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The assumption that "visions of the future" are true- and not misleading, or even self-fulfilling prophesies, plays a part. Which led him to commit murder.

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Exactly, Sioux. And on top of that, there is zero way Nelani would have been able to stop the Dark Man.

Of course, Lumiya could have created the visions...

... with regards to the vision in Tempest, Jacen was particularly concerned because of how he saw a vision of a Sith dynasty and he saw this while looking at Hapes, with a man screaming 'mine'. It's at least a reference to a dynasty, and with what we now know, but we also know that the Mine statements is also connected to Abeloth...

20. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Hmmm...I've never considered the possiblilty that Lumiya could have created the vision he had over Hapes. It certainly changes the dynamic of Lumiya in the overall scheme of LotF. If memory serves, she did seem to know that he had seen something, and she did create the illusions on that asteroid,so it would be totally possible for her do something like that.

You're going to have to fill me in on how this vision is connected to Abeloth, though. I've not seen references to this vision in what I've skimmed from FotJ, so I'm not sure even Denning's retcon goes that far.

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    [quote="SiouxFan, post: 50026684, member: 1373766" Disregarding what Jacen turned into later, because when the book came out we had no idea what the future held, why did SO many people blast him for this decision? Nelani could not save the galaxy, whereas Luke could. What was he supposed to do?[/quote]
    ... He murdered a fellow Jedi and sided with a Sith Lord! A Sith Lord who he had to know had a grudge against his family for decades! He followed visions in an asteroid seeped in the Dark Side. He consciously chose to be the bad guy.

There is no excusing what he did. None. Zero. No amount of retconning visions or after-the-fact whatever will ever justify Nelani's murder. What he did was wrong. It was evil.

EDIT:

And to top it all off, it was just plain stupid.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Sith Lady.

:p

Well, with Allana as a Sith acolyte it suggests that the Queen of Hapes will fall. As such, it is the foothold Krayt would have from which to expand, and through her descendants, the Sith hold over the galaxy increases - a Sith dynasty based on Hapes, thus matching the vision of the Sith dynasty in Jacen's vision in Tempest. Lumiya didn't seem to know what the vision was, and nagged it out of Jacen. I would suggest it was a Dark Man-related vision, if I was to cast aspersions.

23. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    I agree that it was stupid, and I also agree that he consciously agreed to be the 'bad guy'. Again, what was he supposed to do? Nothing? Watch as a chain of events unfolds and kills his uncle? Jacen got blasted in universe and here by doing nothing at Centerpoint the first time. Maybe he learned the wrong lesson, but EVERYONE seems to think that Anakin's 'Do Something' mantra was better than Jacen's 'Wait and see what happens'. If LotF would have gone differently: if Jacen had managed to kill Sal-Solo on Centerpoint and changed the course of history, if this would have lead to a peaceful solution, would we be having this conversation? Are we upset because he killed a person, or are we upset because he killed the wrong person? If he would have let Nelani kill Lumiya on that asteroid, would that be justified? After all, Lumiya really hadn't DONE anything other than talk; she'd been off the radar for ages.

I'm not tryng to retcon anything, that has ALL been done by LFL to justify turning Jacen into a jerk. His voyage of self-discovery got turned into...whatever it has been retconned into. No one was more disgusted than me when I realized at the end of Betrayal that Jacen Solo was going to be the Sith that LFL had been hyping up for months. Their character assassination of him is unexcusable, but I will not just 'write-off' his character because everyone has.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Choose not to kill his uncle. That's... about it. Simply not kill him.