main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry and a pseudonymous Scotsman

Discussion in 'Literature' started by whateveritis12, May 17, 2010.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    MandalBusiness, Incorporated. Also parent to MandalFoods, Mandal Heating and Air Conditioning, and MandalPants.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  2. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I hear MandalFood's Fett Fudge and Manda'lor Muffins are second only to the Biscuit Baron :p

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Don't forget Mandal City Engineering Incorporated - When You Want Your City A Cube, Call The Mandos!

RC-1991 and Grand Admiral Paxis like this.
  4. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    No McMandals where you get a Mythosaur Burger and large Mandallian Fries? A shame...

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    And of course, Mando'ade for the drink.

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    [​IMG]
    (by Dark Spork, aka Dunc T'racen)

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Makes me think of beloved Cube, Cube 2 and Cube Zero movies... a pity TCW homaged them with Moralo Eval (or however you spell him) and his Bounty Hunter contest instead of some Mandalorian Cube prison :p

8. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Woah, resurrection taking place. GrandAdmiraIJello - I remember we were discussing over on the temp boards the possibility that the Emperor had a personal fleet. While flicking through The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook, I found this:

I think this may be the first concrete reference to a personal fleet? Now the disclaimer. Its written from an IU perspective in Deposition 87638/37 by Alliance Intelligence Major Breslin Drake, so it may be discountable since its not from an Imperial or omniscient source.

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Interesting. The Death Squadron could be the Emperor's personal fleet, with Vader as the Emperor's personal fleet commander. It might actually work! Plus it would explain why folks always wanted those particular Star Destroyers.

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It would explain why the remnants of Death Squadron was so important in the overall scheme of the war, despite their relative minimalist numbers.

11. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I still think I'd want Death Squadron and the Emperor's fleet to be separate entities. Vader certainly warranted his own entirely independent command, and as a decent Sith, he'd want his own power base. Plus, the two different and frequently opposing command structures might help explain the breakdown at Endor.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Interesting. Very interesting.

Well, we know that more than just Death Squadron was at Endor. And we know that the Emperor commandeered Executor for his arrival at the station. We also know that Executor was the flagship of the Imperial Navy.

So the question is--is Death Squadron the Emperor's personal fleet, commanded by Lord Vader as the Imperial proxy? Or is there a separate, Emperor's Own fleet?

13. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Obviously, MandalBurgers cure cancer and are only one of three substances in the universe that can turn lightsabers into balloon animals just by touching them.

And MandalPants all wear helmets. Don't ask me how

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    "Emperor's fleet" might be a colloquism for ships that were outside the normal Imperial Navy chain of command - i.e. not under one of the Grand Admirals, but under the Emperor's representative - Vader. That would be extremely powerful symbolism for Thrawn, stepping into the role of the "deceased" Emperor's fleet commander, and also explain why Death Squadron wasn't claimed by one of the warlords or regional Imperial powers - the IRC probably held on to the command for fear of granting such prestige to a leader until Thrawn proved himself to them.

I assume that the Grand Admirals that were at the DS II had at least a token flagship (if not more) present - we know for sure that at least one, Teshik, did.

cavalier_one likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The grand admirals weren't in the normal Imperial Navy chain of command, either. Their very existence, you'll recall from DFR, was to place the Imperial Navy more directly under the Emperor's control. They were, in essence, mini-Vaders.

Interesting theory otherwise, though, re:Thrawn. We do know that he was literally placed in Vader's boots because Ars Dangor made him Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces. So essentially--yes, that is what happened, independently of Death Squadron's role in that.

16. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    What, exactly, would be the regular duties of an Emperor's Personal Fleet if it existed? Presumably, the Emperor spends most of his time hanging out on Coruscant--would the Fleet then be assigned to regular active duty when not needed, used as a special strike force, or simply hang out at Coruscant waiting for the Emperor's call?

Of course, if it's Death Squadron, then obviously it has its own special role to play--but you could certainly question the cogency of having the Emperor's private fleet out hunting Rebels half a Galaxy away from the Emperor himself.

17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Taking the degenerating "Mandal" conversation in a less ridiculous direction...

jasonfry
    When you have a moment, I was wondering if the new Mandalore you introduced in Warfare, Mandalore the Uniter, was given that title as an intentional nod to Novall Talon, leader of the Mandalorian Mercs.

Contessa likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I imagine it's not too dissimilar from the rotation of the Imperial Guard into normal units, assignment to protect certain Imperial favorites, or specialized TIE Interceptor forces. Remember, too, that Death Squadron is just that--a squadron. Fleets are composed of squadrons, which in turn are composed of divisions. Therefore, Death Squadron is just a single squadron in the Emperor's fleet (assuming that it is a single fleet). We might imagine, therefore, that if the Endor fleet is the Emperor's fleet or composed partly of it, then the various squadrons that comprise this fleet have different duties (recalling that the Endor fleet was gathered from all over the galaxy).

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    True, but by their very title they were, in effect, Imperial Navy. Prior to their existence, I imagine that there was probably some sort of loosely-organized military council of "senior" admirals that would've been reporting to Palpatine anyways (and, no doubt, a number of the Grand Admirals were members already)

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, we know that there's a High Command, whatever that means.

Whether or not grand admirals have a naval rank doesn't mean they're inside the chain of command. For instance, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is currently a four star general--but he is not in the chain of command. The combatant commanders report to OSD, not to JCS.

21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well I may as well import an argument from the temp boards. I remember a claim that TOR made the Sith Empire xenophobic out of the blue when I believe it's not true and pointed out in stuff in the Lost Tribe and Book of the Sith and the fact that they put any schmucks unfortunate enough to wind up in their neck of the woods in chains during the Golden Age that wasn't a force user.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Not to steal Jason's thunder but I believe the answer is yes.

I seem to recall Novall mentioning this in the EUC Oya Fan Club some point.

23. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I would imagine that the regular duties of the Emperor's personal fleet would be mainly to guard his main holdings at Coruscant and Byss, with maybe some at Naboo as well. And probably a few that fly around with him while he swans about the galaxy conducting Emperor-type duties like inspecting superweapons. I would suspect it to be a small, elite unit in terms of size; did the Imperial Sourcebook give a number of how many ships comprised a fleet?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't recall offhand but we can set a squadron as the lower limit and a sector group as the upper limit.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

25. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I know Novall was all stoked because that was the same title he used, but I was just looking for some kind of official confirmation that it was an intentional reference. I thought the Endnotes might have something of the sort, but unfortunately not.

Contessa likes this.