main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph RoboCop remake

Discussion in 'Community' started by Aytee-Aytee, Sep 15, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Recent Conan was an attempt at a redeux/reboot/kind of a remake. Arnold/Conan while not 100% equitable to Howard was not that far off the mark. I have yet to see the most recent Conan film.

There was a Footloose remake? What?

2. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Yeah, it was made near where I live too.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Original Conan was plenty far off the mark. There's token references to Crom, a villain from Kull (Thulsa Doom), and no real evidence of the rest of Hyboria. At least in the new one, which is great for fantasy fans (and not for mainstream audiences) we see clearly evidence of Aquilonia (where Conan takes his crown, eventually) etc.

If you haven't seen it and liked the Conan books, I'd recommend giving it a go. Not buying, just renting.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given that the recent Total Recall is based on a book (or a short story) it isn't really a remake either just a different adaptation of the same material.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, no. That would be like remaking Blade Runner and claiming it's actually another take on "Do Androids..?".

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If it's another adaptation of the story, it's not a remake of the film.

The recent Three Musketeers 3D was not a remake of the numerous other films, it was another adaptation of the book.

If someone directed another Lord of the Rings Trilogy in 20 years they would not be remakes, simply new adaptations of Tolkien's work.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, quick question - have you read "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"?

Because Total Recall was loosely adapated from that.

Total Recall 2012 was a remake of Total Recall, which doesn't count as a new adaptation of the source material the way Conan does.

EDIT: If your ridiculously flawed analogy re: LOTR was to work, it would require someone in 20 years to remake the Jackson films, not to adapt the Tolkein works. How you fail to distinguish that not subtle distinction is baffling.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Harry Potter would be the same, making new films would be new adaptations of the books and not remakes of the previous movies.

However, I will concede that giving the movie the same title is arguable in favour the remake idea, as it would be if another version of "Do Androids Dream..." was made into a film and also titled Blade Runner as that would suggest an attempt to redo the original movie as opposed to the story itself.

The newer Total Recall has the same title, but it does have a lot of plot differences from the original movie (in fact, more than the original story since Mars is not featured) .

None of which matters in terms of Robocop since that started out as a film and so the new movie if it deals with the origin idea as in the original would be both a remake & reboot.

9. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012

hmmmm, that sounds just like a remake

10. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Just an adaptation. Remakes is something say if someone redid star wars

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So why don't you just rent them and watch them so that you can properly add to the discussion?

12. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    I don't watch horror movies thank you. And I could of brought up a movie that's being remade without having seen it.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    And what about RoboCop? Did you watch the original?

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Remake would imply they looked at the Conan film and said, we're going to do that again. They didn't.

In your world, the Russell Crowe Robin Hood film is a remake of everything from the Errol Flynn films to Men in Tights. Which is a terrifying and silly world.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  15. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    If I remember correctly, when I was little I've seen most of the first one, but its been many years since that time. I also remember the cartoon show they had on for awhile.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Arlol you know you just remind me of Elias from Clerks II right?

17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Dude...RoboCop...HORROR MOVIE?

Arlon dude....Go to Blockbuster or Netflix, rent RoboCop and RoboCop II, watch them both.

Don't bother with RoboCop 3 or the TV series.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think Arlon's responses was in response to my inquiry of this:

And not RoboCop being a horror film.

19. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Oh thank god. I thought I was going to have to kidnap him, tape pins and needles under his eyes and force him to watch the movie. :p

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Under his glassies, Lee. If you're going to put him in a ludovico get the terminology right.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  21. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    No to your clockwork orangeness

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

You know about that movie (or, incredibly, actually seen it?) and yet you barely remember RoboCop nor seen so many other popular movies that are part of this generation's collective psyche. You are a strange individual, Arlon. Next thing you'll tell me is that you've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey.

23. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    1. I've looked up stuff about robobcop, that's how I mostly know it, but I was talking to actual memory of watching it, which is barely any due to being a kid when seen it.
    2. Looked up clockwork orange a long time ago because that was some of the stuff Heath Ledger studied to get into the role of the Joker, and I was just seeing what it was. But no I have not seen it, neither do I want to.
    3. Never seen that space movie.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  25. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Me or this reboot?