main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Sounds epic CmdrMitthrawnuruodo! I know I would enjoy that type of game :D

Also, if no one, and I mean no one else volunteers I would be willing to give a shot at Chewbacca. I say only if no one for one good reason, playing a face character makes me squimish and hat is tipped at HanSolo29 for being able to do so so well so often [face_cowboy]

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Aww...thanks a lot, Mitth! Much appreciated! [:D]

And for the record, I think you would make a great Chewie! ;)

3. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    It's my avatar isn't it :p

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I will play, Mitth :)

5. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Since my current game is (at the moment) dead on arrival, I've been thinking about new ideas. At the moment its just a genre though...does anyone think a Stargate game of some sort could take off? I have several ideas for one floating around my head for when the RPF picks back up...from a world-builder, to a smaller one where the players are their own SG team.

Anyone think it could work once the RPF picks up again?

EDIT: Of course, the advantage to an SG game is that I have a WONDERFUL grasp of the characters by virtue of writing three SG fanfics.:p

Though this is assuming there would be enough interest in it on a SW board...;)

6. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    A Star Gate game! oh yeah! It would be great to see. However, I don't know if it could work in RPG format.

I was thinking a about an apocalyptic type end time game, but I wasn't sure if it would flow well in RPG format.

7. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    There are actually several ways it could work in RPG format:

World-building: You get to create your own nation set in the larger SG verse...Asgard, Wraith, Goa'uld...your choice. Obviously a big commitment/scale though....

SG-Team: Easy enough to manage...get some players to create their own character, and stick them together in a team. Very story heavy in this case but doable.

...I'm sure there's more but I haven't thought of them yet...:p

8. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    Ugh a strategy game (nothing wrong with them just not my cup of tea). My idea wasn't SG based it was bible based.

I would however like to see a character based SG RPG that would be cool and have it start off with no background at all except the movie itself and build its own story line sort of like an alternate universe sort of deal.

9. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Well you did say at the start of your post you weren't sure how an SG game could work;)

I would probably keep a character based one in SG-1 verse actually. Movie-verse allows more AU factors, but it also tosses out the best parts (Goa'uld, Asgard, Tok'ra, etc.)

10. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    Perhaps and perhaps not I like the ideas myself of a clean slate nothing wrong with that. I like most of it don't get me wrong but in order to be successful an SG RPG would have to hold more surprises to keep me going.

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I've got to say, I've never seen much in the way of Stargate fandom out here, Sky -- seems to be a bit of a niche that doesn't get up. If failed RPGs is any measure of popularity, well, I think it's literally been years since anyone even put up a first post for an SG-1 RPG, let alone it fail for lack of interest... :(

12. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    There are still plenty of things in SG-1 verse to use. The Aschen ( who were never touched again) the race that took over the SGC with those 'holo-disguises', the race that controlled the ship that attacked Prometheus in Grace. And of course the always popular 'make stuff up' option.;)

(for the record, I'm just posting ideas as they come to me, I'm not sure how this potential game would go)

EDIT: Well that's why I was asking first Saint. If I went ahead with the idea, I'd also bring it up in Hoopers first, since more people go there and see if that helps.

EDIT Zwei: Speaking of which...does anyone think that's worth a try? If I go ahead with the idea anyway.

EDIT Drei: Of course, whenever I first brought my SG fanboyism up in the EUC on the Temp Boards I had quite a few people comment on loving the thing. So it may not be as big a nice as it used to be. I'm still debating bringing it up in Hoopers to test that theory though...

13. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah I think Saintheart might be right as I have not seen a great number of people interested in the SG universe.

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    The problem to me is, SG-1 is too niche for the RPF as presently constituted. If we had a large(r) userbase, it might be a different story because if you've got 200 people watching a forum, there's at least mathematical odds at least 4 of them will
    (a) know what SG-1 is,
    (b) like the series, and
    (c) be inspired enough by the series to want to play in its fictional universe.

It is possible to draw people into a franchise when they've no familiarity with it, I guess - but that takes a really inspiring story and a GM who knows exactly how to introduce an unfamiliar setting to his players. Going on a tangent, one criticism of Mass Effect 3 that really struck home for me was the criticism that, unlike every other entry in the series, ME 3 breaks a cardinal rule of game design: Make no assumptions about your audience. You cannot assume they know the universe, or the backstory, so make sure you introduce them slowly into it. ME 3 throws the player more or less straight into the story - no real "warmup" introductory scenarios as ME 2 has, no drip-feeding of information -- Earth's suddenly nuked, Shephard is talking about the Reapers, and away they go. It more or less assumes you are a returning player to the franchise, that the game doesn't have to suck you into the story first before starting the pyrotechnics.

It's not the only misstep with ME 3, of course, and I took that very large side trip just to lay out that the concept does have some application here: the very act of making an RPG in a franchise universe screams at people "You are assumed to have watched the show or know what its core concepts are in order to play this game." For Star Wars RPGs on a Star Wars board, that generally isn't a problem, since, well, odds are against you being here unless you know the guts of Star Wars. But any other franchise universe RPG takes the risk that people will be turned off from playing because they'll think they have to know the setting first before they can meaningfully engage in an RPG about it. People unfamiliar with the franchise - which by definition will probably be the majority absent stuff like Star Wars and Harry Potter - will, I think, be quietly thinking "I don't want to be stumbling around looking clueless in a universe while everyone else smoothly interacts with this environment. I want to be learning things along with everyone else."

Compare that with an 'original universe' RPG like Sins of the Saints. It's brilliant stuff and when it started it came with no franchise baggage. Fins' opening post made no assumptions about people's knowledge of the universe, mostly because by definition people could not have known his franchise. He instead revealed glimpses of his universe, enough to intrigue and excite people, and from there slowly began to unfold his universe. Everyone learned about the universe at the same time, at the same rate.

15. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    [face_thinking]

Hmm...good point. Like I said, even if I went forward with this idea, it wouldn't be until November at the earliest... more likely next year to let the RPF get back on its feet. If I did go with Stargate, it would require a big investment to get people who may only have 'marginal' knowledge about the franchise into it. Of course this is all hypothetical at the moment, and now you've bitten me with the RP version of a plot-bunny to go and make my own universe....

(ironically I was already working on my own Sci-fi novel...so I have experience with making my own SF universe)

16. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    I would like to see this gone into in the game I like how explained that it was concise as to why sometimes a universe does not work.

17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I had a fit of diarrhea of the word processor there ... and looking back at the Game Group, I'm surprised to see that this precise argument is made around page 2 of that thread, albeit in slightly different terms. Lord T puts it slightly differently in the context of "selling" your game, but it comes to the same thing as making no assumptions about your players: You can't pick up the player halfway down the street. You have to pick him up where he lives.

18. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm still divided on going forward with it anyway, so that's not that big of a problem. I could just as easily make another SW RP, or a new universe RP (gee thanks for getting THAT idea lodged in my head Saint:p ), or some sort of RP set on Earth. Who the kriff knows at this point.:p

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm just gonna say it, I'm not a fan of urban fantasy, despite making an urban fantasy game on the temp boards. :p

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Somehow I doubt that I would make an urban fantasy game even if I did one set on Earth.:p

Also something you guys should know about me...I get VERY random ideas that I bring up. So don't be surprised if a lot of these ideas I come up with never come to fruition.;)

21. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Oh Mitth, I got the feeling you would be an excellent Chewie!!!

22. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Sky, I won´t bother you with the advise to get into more game to make a few friends again, obviously you don´t consider that. But what do you guess your chances will be against people around here who got plenty of friends when your game comes up against theirs?

I wanna be truthful, as thankful I am for Sainthearts kind words and as much as I consider the OP of The Sins of the Saints my personal best work, I must say . . . what really made the game was I had a certain trust bonus. I believe my OP wasn´t good enough, alone. People had to know it would be backed up by something. People believed I would not botch, leave or abandon the project. Why? Because they had seen me around. They knew me and they signed up knowing that I would try to deliver the big promises my OP made. And it actually worked out quite alright.

23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I'm actually the one that tried to start an SG1 rpg years back. It had interest and a good group but failed due to my life rudely getting in the way.

The interest is definitely there and I think an adventure based rpg would be the best approach to it. SG1 was and will always be about the adventure and mystery of the galaxy. But I wouldnt go with something as obscure as the Ashlen people or anything that only had one or two episode appearances. I had to scrape my brain there to remember half the stuff you mentioned and I'm a huge Sg1 fan. Huge.

Stick with what people will be familiar with like the Goa'uld, Wraith, Replicators and the Ori. There is so much of the Goa'uld that have yet to be covered. So many deities and mythology to be used. I mean we had Chronus but where were Zeus and his pantheon? The rest of the titans? Was Prometheus really a champion of mankind punished by the Gods? A Tok'ra perhaps?

And not all the Goa'uld were gods. Yu was the first Chinese Emperor who is suppose to be buried in the Emperor's Tomb outside of Bejing. So what if some were also figures like the crazy Emperor Nero of Rome? Or even some of the villains and monsters in ancient mythology, like Medusa or the Weird Sisters (The Fates, Furies).

There is so much more to explore in Sg1 using our own mythology and history that we don't need to make up something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I feel the need to point out that despite everyone talking about having a reputation, it's safe to say T-65 is getting known through his sheer enthusiasm around these parts. Plus, I must say, it's awesome seeing someone with such enthusiasm :)

25. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    It is! And it certainly is recognized. Serious, had it not been a fleets/strategy game I would have joined his first for the pure ammount of thought he pur into it. Stratgames are not my thing though. Is Stargate meaning that old Kurt Russel Movie?

And Fin, sure. Your rep was a bonus, but some people who joined did not know about it. Even without the Finfactor you would have had 10 players who just loved what you did there. Reputation helps. You can do without. Tgi had more players than you in TORR. He was a first timer.

But Saint got a point, Sky. If you have Sw and NonSw ideas, the sw will be accepted easier. We are a SW board.