main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Themes and story arcs you wish were explored more

Discussion in 'Literature' started by godisawesome , Sep 13, 2012.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Basically, what themes and ideas for characters, cultures, and nations do you wish we had more books/comics/games on?

I for one would like to seethe Yuzzahn Vong being addressed again in the post NJO universe. We had the promising appearance of the Vong in Legacy, and I always thought it was awesome that they were supposed to have fought side by side with the Jedi when Ossus fell. Really, they were a fascinating species that were revealed to have depth in their introductory series, but they've pretty much been forgotten since then.

I'd also like to see some more focus on the contrast between the old Jedi Order and the new one. I always thought it was cool that the new Jedi Order was originally much more blue-collar in their work ethic (jumpsuits over robes, Praxeum over Temple) and overall approach to the Jedi creed (yes, Virginia, the Jedi can actually get married now with arguable less chance of falling to the dark-side since we realized that actually keeping selfish, possessive things behind closed doors was a kriffin' stupid idea.) Then I opened up Bloodlines and it's the OJO almost copied and pasted without any word as to change.

And for the love of Pete, we keep on hearing about these apparently righteous, light-side aligned Mandalorians who want to fight alongside the Jedi against evil(Jicoln Cadera in TOR, Fenn Shysa in Marvel Comics and Shadows of Mindor, the Mercs who took on the Dark Underlord), but we almost never see them in action. I know that the Mandalorians are supposed to follow a divergent cultural path from most common morality, but no group of mercenaries has ever been consistently arrayed against the smae heroic side this consistently. We know they exist; just give us a story where the heavily armed and jetpack equipped MESFAC says that he'd rather fight alongside the Jedi than the Sith and show us a full battle with that.

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I want to see more about the non-Jedi. Not necessarily the big fringe groups either. The smaller people caught up in the middle of these struggles. The actual simple men and women trying to make their way in the universe. The more focus there is on the SkySolo dynasty and the other lofty heights of the Empire, Fringe, and GFFA, the more claustrophobic the galaxy feels. More stuff like the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books, like Scourge, like the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian Adventures, like the Adventure Journals.

3. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree, I feel there needs to be a greater contrast between the NJO and OJO.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I second the vote for more Yuuzhan Vong stuff and more common ordinary people. I want a new smuggler type person. Good Mandalorians would be nice. More Ryn Network, More Wookies and Noghri. Twin Suns!

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I, too, would rather see more of a focus on the little people. I also would like to see some insight into the socio-economic system. How does war effect the common man? What happens to the average schmoe when a good solid chunk of the budget goes straight to building the next big thing to take down Thursday's Galactic Menace of the Week? Hell, for that matter... Do taxpayer credits go toward the Jedi Order? How do they raise funds? Do they hold bake sales? Send the padawans out to sell Jedi Cookies? Is there a part of the budget that goes to the Jedi Order? Is that earmarked in the tax records?

Yes, these may seem trivial, but this stuff interests me. Even if there were some mention in some exposition here and there, that would suffice. But, to my knowledge, no one really takes a look at these things.

And for that matter, what is the galactic mental health system like? How does Coruscant handle the mentally ill? Do they have outpatient behavioral support services? Do they treat 'em and street 'em? Or, do they operate with a "lock 'em up and throw away the key" mentality?

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Droid sapience. Droid rights. I bang on about it a lot, but what if they're as alive in the Force as anything else but on a different channel, like the Vong? Whatshisface from Coruscant Nights registered as a living being to Jedi senses...

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Dammit, I want 4-LOM to defragment his memory banks and get back to work on becoming a Jedi!

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The rebuilding of/ the moving of the Senate following the bombing of it in 17ABY. In my mind the building that was destroyed was the Imperial Palace's own Senate chamber and the Senate Building of the prequels was reused after that time. It's probably not referenced because The New Rebellion was and is a terrible book. :p

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This.

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The rise of Confederacy. 26-23 BBY in general, there's hardly anything in there, while the Clone Wars era itself is going to explode very soon.

Rebellion stuff between episodes V and VI. And with that I mean Lando.

Actually, more Lando everywhere. He may not be a theme nor a story arc, but he's Lando.

Some thought on why weapons are not set for stun more often, you'd think that would be very convenient in hostage situations and when you need someone alive.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The 32 BBY-22 BBY years are pretty scarce of stuff. Only one book after 27 BBY. Well Adult book wise anyway. I'll take more books in the Pre-Clone Wars era,

dewback_rancher likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    More Vong - I'm far from the greatest NJO fan but if you're going to talk of consequences and redemption for an entire species, then we need to see that in action. Both Invasion and X-Wing Mercy Kill make the case for both this and more NJO-era stories.

Less Force-user focus yes - Jedi are cool but too much of anything will grate. Ditto evil darksiders, let's have more Zorba the Hutts and other varieties of nefarious scumbags!

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    ACKBAR VS. PELLAEON

Like you all expected me to say anything different.

--Adm. Nick

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well that and a Legacy sequel Nick! Both are needed!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I'd also like to see more focus on the differences between the OJO and NJO. I also want to see more novels that don't have to do with the Jedi or Sith for that matter. Lets get some smugglers and bounty hunters back into the galaxy. I'd also like to see more enemies besides the Sith.

Silas Allender and TrakNar like this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Droid revolution.

I don't need to see it happen, I just need it to have happened.

CeiranHarmony and Ulicus like this.
  18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    According to the NEGTD, a battle droid known as HK-01 led the Great Droid Revolution in 4015 BBY. It was in the entry for Juggernaut War Droids, IIRC. They made a bloody hash of the Republic Rocket Troopers.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, okay. I'm good, then.

Edit: actually, I take that back. I do want to see it. :p

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Agreed with the droid sapience/rise of the old Confederacy plots. But that's just bias speaking.

One thing I've been hoping some author would pick up on is the considerable number of engineers we have bumming around during the Empire era. Seinar. Kuat. Leth. Lemelisk. Ashgad. Keldor. Sivron and the Daala gang.

Most of these gents have been featured to one extent or another in various stories, but usually as a one-time deal. But they're name-dropped a gazillion times. I've been kinda hoping for some sort of Imperial engineer meeting-of-the-minds kind of tale... something Dark Times-era-ish, when most of these guys were at their prime. Most of them certainly have... quirky... character traits. It could be amusing if done right.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing a series on the history of the Yuuzhan Vong. That would be interesting to say the least.

22. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That's something that should really be done. Not only should there be more information on the Vong, but their galaxy, and the machine war that drove them to hate technology.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That would give Del Rey enough material to write stuff on. I liked the Yuuzhan Vong as enemies so have them have their own series.

24. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    The Empire, definitely. The Empire has evil people but is not all evil - for example, people like those in Soldier for the Empire or the Yages - people who genuinely believe in the Empire and want to serve THE EMPIRE, not the Sith, people who are not just I AM THE EMBODIMENT OF EVIL people like Palpatine.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Nagai Tof War from the POV of the everyman

Kiro's fate in the NR era and beyond
    An alliance between the Fromm Gang and the Zann consortium
    The fall of the Zann consortium

Weather the Force is sentient or not as it was implied in the Living Force Campaign

CeiranHarmony and Zeta1127 like this.