main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The great things about AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by d_arblay, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Has the Battle of Geonosis ever being matched in terms of pure scale and spectacle? That whole segment was the Clone Wars that we'd heard about for so long.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    1.) The mystery it has to it when it first starts.
    2.) The whole battle on Geonosis, "Let the executions begin" gives me goosebumps.
    3.) Padme!
    4.) The love story, a lot of people hated it, but I loved them together <3
    5.) Jango Fett, he was so bad-ass, one of my favorite villains ever!
    6.) C-3PO's antics at the battle arena. lol

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You know what's great about AotC, besides all that has been said, Jango and Christopher Lee?

I remember when I watched the movie for the first time, the audience in the theater had a similar reaction. It was great.

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    What I like about this movie is that the mystery surrounding it is never truly solved. It's a huge conspiracy aimed at the Jedi and its so muddled, its easy to see why the Jedi are stumped. Plus, I love that in this movie, the trap is truly set for the demise of the Jedi.

5. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    For me AOTC stands tall as my favourite and definitely the most interesting of the 6 SW's movies. It's a beautifully schizophrenic cinematic pastiche. It's allusions to film noir, historical dramas and classical love stories leave me breathless and I spend many a time trying to spot the cinematic references, many which have been recorded on these forum

I love the parallels in Obi-Wan's and Anakin's discoveries, one on a huge scale, the other, more personal. The symmetry in this movie is breathtaking and the editing, something that I have noticed fans here aren't so keen on, is in fact one of my favourite things about this movie.

Recently I've taken to watching the film in black and white. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it because it really gives something new to the movie. I usually bring the colour in slowly during Padme's confession of love to Anakin prior to them entering the arena.

6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I liked finally seeing familiarities with the CT, like finding out about the clones and the Lars, seeing Anakin in black like Luke in ROTJ, and Obi-Wan with a beard. I think more people would be fond of it if they'd seen it spoiler-free, and felt the impact of all those changes and connections in the first viewing. Still, when it opened the reaction by many was rather positive, especially compared to feelings of TPM, but that quickly seemed to slack off and it got widely panned. It has its aggravations, especially in repeat viewings, but it's the prequel I prefer most. It looks good; Ben Burtt's editing and sound composition was addicting.
    I actually liked the idea of Boba Fett being the first clone and Jango being the host for them all. It added a sense of distrust to them, even though we knew where that would eventually lead. In retrospect though, and I like Daniel Logan and Temeura Morrison, but storywise, I don't know why Jango couldn't have just been Boba Fett.
    I really liked the way Lucasfilm teased, like with the Episode II Select pictures and other stuff at Starwars.com, even though I intended to avoid all that information.

7. mastertang

mastertang Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2012
    JW's music, It had that impending sound to it like you knew something was coming.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree, but I don't think they should have gone all the way to actually using the Imperial March in the couple scenes in AOTC that they used it in. I get the foreshadowing (both for Anakin and for the future Empire), but I thought it was too much, too soon.

EDIT: Welcome, by the way. :cool:

9. mastertang

Sep 19, 2012
    I agree with that also, for some the identity of Sidious had not been revealed so I'm sure that was a dead ringer some people that were new to the series. Anakin's soft motifs that were used we fine, but the troop version should have used the Trade federation's theme, considering it was used for them on Kamino, though would that might have been tacky. thanks for the greeting BTW :).

10. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I used to think this way, but thinking back on when I saw Ep II for the first time in a theater, I didn't really know what was going on or what was happening, so that Imperial March threw me for a loop. I still didn't really get why the Stormtroopers were on the Jedi's side, but that Imperial March music really told me what I needed to know, that things aren't what they seem.

11. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    What I like about the Imperial March in that moment is the heavy contrast to the next cut, when Across the Stars is played. Using the Imperial March before really made the next moment (wedding) more emotional for me, because you've just been reminded where their love will end (in rewatches)

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    So when you say you didn't know what was going on, does that mean that you hadn't seen the OT yet and were not familiar with the stormtroopers, or just that you hadn't made the connection between stormtroopers and clone troopers yet? Or between the Empire and the Republic yet?

For people that hadn't seen the OT already, the Imperial March would be largely meaningless as a hint or a cue.

For people who had seen it, they would have either a) made the connection between stormtroopers and clone troopers already (or suspected a connection anyway) or b) not have made a connection yet. For group a it would be unneccesary (almost fan service), and for group b it would be almost ruining something that would be better revealed later in the story... even if they don't realize it until they see Order 66 and Palpatine reorganizing the Republic into the Empire.

13. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    I thought the whole return to Tatooine was great. I got to see aged characters from TPM (Shmi, Watto) along with characters that would fit into the OT (Beru, Owen). I got a look at Anakin's dark side and the issues that would lead to his turn. Anakin promising his dead mother not to fail again and his confession to Padme always break my heart even more than Shmi's death scene. It was also on Tatooine that Padme seemed to drop all her walls and let their relationship deepen.

And, of course, C3PO returned in a more completed form, which would lead to the first adventure of C-3PO and R2-D2.

obi-rob-kenobi4 and eht13 like this.
  14. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah, I'd seen the OT. Basically all I knew was two very different kinds of stories that hadn't been connected yet. I could see that the Stormtroopers were on the Jedi's side, I just didn't really understand how this would change. Remember, I didn't really "get" that Palpatine was THE Sith Lord until Episode III. I knew he was a bad guy from the OT, I just kind of assumed that Palpatine started out as one of Sidious's apprentices.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    It's easier if you stop calling the clone troopers "stormtroopers". :p That's the name they are given by Palpatine after the Empire is announced.

And that does make more sense now, I didn't recall that you didn't make the Palpatine/Sidious connection until ROTS.

16. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    But ironically, Episode III didn't allow any grand statement of the Imperial March.
    And btw, it was Lucas who asked Williams to rescore the ending of the movie to include the Imperial March. And I really love it. A great foreshadowing of the evil/totalitarian nature of the clones and the new regime.

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    In AOTC I still think it was too much too soon, even though I love foreshadowing. :p And the Imperial March, for that matter.

In ROTS, though, I think it should have been used more near the end of the movie... but maybe it has too much bravado to match the more somber and melancholy feeling of the final scenes (even when Vader and Palpatine are viewing the Death Star, for example). So maybe that's what you mean by "Episode III didn't allow any grand statement of the Imperial March".

18. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah, I meant that I also thought that the Imperial March was used a bit too soon in episode II... It seems that the natural place for a big statement would be Episode III.... But then, it turned out that a grand statement wasn't appropriate for episode III. It is used, and quite a lot, but never in a huge statement.

And honestly, if you don't think about it too much, that final statement in Episode II is awesome, specially with the love theme quoted in the middle. Wouldn't change it for anything.

And if you watch the saga 1-6, this is the first appearance of the march, so it doesn't really spoil anything, but it adds a sense of doom.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I do like the transition in AOTC from the Imperial March to the love theme playing when Anakin and Padme get married.

20. mastertang

Sep 19, 2012
    My favorite theme overall was the Soft Kamino theme that was used during the hologram transmission about revealing the clone army to the council, it was also used when Anakin and Padme first arrive at the island retreat.

21. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    That as well, but I was talking about the brief militaristic statement of the love theme in the middle of the Imperial March (in between the first and second statement).

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ah, OK. I think I know what you mean, but I'd have to pay more attention to the music the next time I watch it.

23. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Aye, me too. :D

Jeanine Berry likes this.
  24. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Love the Arena scene has a Gladiator feel to it. Def my favorite part of the film.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I reckon it's either the best or second best SW movie, because it's full of action and has heaps of cool scenes. The battle arena scene- amazing, great action, great seeing minor Jedi in action, the Acklay, Reek and Nexu were great, one of the greatest scenes in the saga. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Jango Fett- really awesome, great battle scenes both on Kamino and in the asteroid field. Battle of Geonosis- Great large-scale battle, really cool Separatist Droids and great seeing the Clones in action for the first time. Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda vs. Count Dooku- really awesome battle scene, great lightsaber duels.
    There were also great characters, like the Separatists with Poggle The Lesser and Wat Tambor. There were heaps of great Jedi like Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Plo Koon, Saesee Tiin, Coleman Trebor and Pablo-Jill. Jango Fett was cool, Lama Su and Taun We were cool, and of course Obi-Wan's Astromech Droid R4-P17 was great.
    Overall just an amazing film!