main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Another Lawler update via Wrestlingobserver.com:

Stacy Carter, the former wife of Jerry Lawler, just made a post, which is consistent with what we've been hearing.
    "The docs are removing his ventilation and taking him out of sedation. He is responsive, which is great!!! It took a while to revive him last night so there's the concern of brain damage. He had some tests done which will show how much if any damage there is due to the lack of oxygen to the brain. Unfortunately, the results won't be in until the morning. I appreciate all the calls, texts, tweets and Facebook messages of support and I know Jerry will too."

2. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    One last Lawler update for the day, curtesy of WrestlingObserver.com:

Jerry Lawler's condition remains stable after today's surgery in an unnamed Montreal hospital. He is responsive to the point he can blink his eyes, nod and grip and squeeze with his hands.
    His girlfriend, Lauryn Laine McBride, who is in the hospital with him, said in a message just posted that in surgery, Lawler had one stent put in, not three.

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Positive update on Lawler, via WrestlingObserver.com:

Brian Lawler posted earlier today that his father does not appear to have suffered any brain damage, which was the biggest fear as of last night.
    "The CT scan of my dad's brain came back good," he posted.
    Lawler on Monday after suffering a near fatal heart attack while announcing, had his heart stop beating for what is believed to have been close to 15 minutes, which is where the fear of brain damage came because of oxygen deprivation to the brain.
    Brian Lawler flew to Montreal on Tuesday and has been by his father's side for the past day.
    Kevin Lawler, who is not in Montreal, said that his father is not able to speak, but he is writing things on a notepad.
    "Not just brief notes, but detailed stores which show he knows where he is and what is going on," Kevin Lawler told TMZ.com
    Joe Cooper, Lawler's business partner in Memphis, told WMC-TV, where Lawler was a fixture on television for two decades as the star of Championship Wrestling, the saem thing.
    Stacy Carter, Lawler's ex-wife, posted, "The rujors are true. I just got confirmation that Jerry Lawler's test results are in and he has no brain damage. That is wonderful news."

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Ric Flair comments on Jerry Lawler

Lawler update (via WrestlingObserver.com):

--Jerry Lawler has been eating, talking, and doing much better yesterday and today. He was on the phone with Michael Cole and Vince McMahon among others over the last 24 hours. According to one person close to him, he's making great progress. Right now there is no word on when he can return home.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Wonder if he'll ever be able to compete again

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That's something I've been wondering too. At his age it's iffy if doctors would ever clear him to wrestle again, but most wrestlers are stubborn and don't like to stop wrestling (see: Ric Flair., the Funks, Hulk Hogan etc.)

I do see this putting an end to the Lawler angle of Punk's heel storyline. There's really no reason to continue on with it at this point, especially with everything that happened Monday night.

However the fact that he seems to have no aphasia or any other brain damage, nor vocal cord damage from intubation leads me to believe we'll see him back at the announce table sooner rather than later. Maybe not at the NOC PPV, but I'd put even money he'll be back announcing with Cole before Survivor Series.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And in a last ditch effort to save Linda McMahon's campaign the WWE is having YouTube all fan uploaded WWE videos left and right, in an effort to keep Linda's opponents and detractors from getting their hands on some of the WWE's more 'racy' material. :rolleyes:

I mean, it's not as if Chris Murphy (her opponent) and co. could go to someplace like ebay, and buy vids featuring those moments - oh wait.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I was under the impression she already got elected, didn't she beat Peter Schiff?

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Nope, she went down last time. Her defeat as well as the defeats of Christine O'Donnell in Delaware and Sharron Angle in Nevada and a few others were what prevented the Republicans from getting a majority in the Senate in 2010.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    JBL is commentating with Cole at the PPV tonight.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I wonder how many fans will actually twig on the fact that Punk's gear tonight was supposed to be Yankee Pinstripes?

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    JBL was great on commentary.

Nice that Punk retained, but did it have to be a draw?

Kane & Bryan being Tag Champs is great, I LOLd at Kane declaring "I'm going to Disneyland!"

Orton giving the finger to the crowd was weird, not sure if he was trying to do an Austin or whether he was intentionally trying to insult members of the audience.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    From what little I've gotten to actually watch thus far, JBL was good, but I don't know, he sounded sort of different this time out.

I'm guessing the draw helps them set up a match up at the Hell in a Cell PPV.

It'll certainly be interesting with them as Tag Champs. WWE's done the oddball tag team champs who don't like each other storyline before, but Kane and Bryan have a chance to be pure comedy gold.

Now see, I haven't gotten a chance to actually watch Orton/Ziggler yet, and the results I read didn't mention the bird flipping. I do know that Orton indicated on Twitter when he was first suspended over the summer that he wanted to go heel again, so, hmmm....

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I was expecting slightly more facts from JBL. He talked about Kane & Bryan as if they had no idea how to be a team, overlooking the fact Kane is a 12 time Tag Team Champion having teamed with people such as Mick Foley, RVD, Undertaker & Big Show. Bryan himself has been an ECWA Tag Champion with Low Ki

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I could excuse the lack of JBL's factyness given that he's only been around the business sporadically since he retired at WM 25.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He did pretty well regardless, interesting to see Cole revert to the face. As much as I like Lawler, he was better as a heel commentator

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Speaking of which, he was released from the hospital today according to WWE.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    :D JR's calling RAW with JBL and Cole:D

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Uh, Punk, I would think you wouldn't want to harrass the refs.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm more interested in who will be put in to face Punk if Cena can't make it.
    And even if he can, he won't compete for a while so will he still be on Raw?

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe we should ask the latter question to Vader and Ackbar.:p

Seriously though, Vince considers Cena too valuable to keep him off RAW for any length of time.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, he was away when filming movies and during his neck injury

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Via WrestlingObserver.com:
    --Jerry Lawler had a press conference today in Memphis:
    1) He said his ribs were sore from the CPR and his throat was sore from all the tubes, but hasn't had any other problems since returning home.
    2) He described the heart problems as two small arteries at the bottom of his heard being clogged. He said once was given a stent and the other was cleaned up via the angioplasty. He said he was told that his heart will be back to normal. He said he had no permanent damage and the hospital in Montreal was one of the best heart hospitals in the world.
    3) He was told he needed to change his diet and exercise more.
    4) On wrestling again, he said it would be months before he can even consider it but he didn't think it would be that dangerous to return..
    5) He noted that his father died at 59 of a heat attack and his brother has also had heart problems, so he believes the issues were hereditary.
    6) He said the mayor of Memphis sent him a get well note and talked about the outpouring form people all over the world.
    He said his chest hurt him for about five minute when he was in Aruba two days before his heart attack, but he thought it was just from bad food. He said he felt fine last Monday, but he can't remember his match, or anything after his match. He said he watched parts of the show and remembered none of it. He said he remembered Bret Hart and C.M. Punk in the ring in the first segment and the next thing he woke up in a hospital room.

--The Connecticut Democrats put up a video of the Hot Lesbian Action segment on Raw from years ago. WWE then got the video taken down based on copyright infringement. That's gone on twice now this week.

--Linda McMahon dissed Mitt Romney regarding his 47% of the country paying no taxes remark, and then opponent Chris Murphy found a quote where they claimed she said something similar at http://www.chrismurphy.com/news/entry/huffington-post-linda-mcmahon-disses-romney-for-47-percent-talking-point-sh/

--A great story on the history of pro wrestling events held at Fenway Park in Boston is at http://www.thesprt****.com/?p=498
    --2000 Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner filed for bankruptcy, showing nearly $3 million in debts, claiming he was defrauded by a business associate into co-signing a loan to develop a hot spring resort in his home town of Afton, WY that he claimed turned into a complete fraud. He said he lost $400,000 of his own money and the credit is going after him, while his former business partner is now in federal prison for fraud. "I got taken advantage of and now I've got to pay the price" Gardner said yesterday. "I'm trying to make it right." At the end of October, the Salt Lake City action hose of Erkelens & Olson is set to sell off his possessions, including his Ford Excursion SUV, Harley Davidson motorcycles, dozens of watches, knives, his wrestling boots and autographed memorabilia. Gardner's gold medal is not up for auction because Gardner claimed it was stolen from him. Gardner wants to buy his things back but said all his money is tied up in other businesses, most notably his gym. Gardner fought once in MMA, on a New Year's Eve show in Japan where he beat Hidehiko Yoshida via decision. He was in negotiations with WWE but turned down their offers.

--Jon Jones with Skip Bayless and Stephan S. Smith on First Take on ESPN at http://www.youtube.com/watch?y=dDNw_eGWrF4&feature=picp

--Adam Carriker of the Washington Redskins, a defensive end who does a pro wrestling podcast, tore his quadriceps tendon on Sunday and will be undergoing surgery. He said as he laid on the ground in pain, he was thinking about what happened to HHH in a 2001 Raw match. Story is at http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/09/18/adam-carrikers-immediately-thought-of-wwes-triple-h-after-knee-injury/

--There is an article in today's Poughkeepsie Journal on Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper, who are doing a show at Dutchess Stadium on Saturday night in Fishkill, NY for Northeast Wrestling. Besides the story at http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com there is a blog with stuff not in the story from interviews with both men at http://blogs.poughkeepsiejournal.com/underthering/2012/09/19/under-the-ring-extra-with-hulk-hogan-and-roddy-piper/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.