main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Ahsoka in The Clone Wars thread (general discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Ahsoka will probably be somewhere else in Revenge of the Sith, because she had no reference, plus Anakin had no time to fight her, until he had his suit perhaps. then the "I am you're master" - which might be a little corny :p

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeah, pretty much. Anakin engaged the enemy first, and Ahsoka joined the battle later. I reference this episode mainly because it was rather controversial around these parts, particularly because of her commanding the ship. Which was undeniably progress in her development.

3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Some people at the bottom of the previous page got Ahsoka's role in Storm Over Ryloth wrong, she's in charge of a squad of one-man fighters, not an entire cruiser.

Inblackestnight likes this.
  4. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Yularen is her superior officer for the mission (the Jedi General/Padawan Commander vs Admiral relationship is a bit iffy to me). But Anakin left her to figure out the mission. She came up with the strategy during Yularen's injuries, and in the absense of any other Jedi. She's giving commands aboard the Cruiser. And when the Cruiser arrives, Anakin says "she made it." The whole point of the episode was her embracing that responsibility. I'm not suggesting that was sent alone to negotiate a trade dispute or anything, but this was a big step for her.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Giving commands to some clones aboard a cruiser and being in command of all clones on a cruiser are two very different things. I honestly don't recall Ahsoka coming up with the plan, but even if she did, the point is that it wasn't her call to implement that plan because she's not in charge of the whole cruiser/mission.

6. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    She's giving commands not to "some clones," but to the clones running the ship. It is plainly stated that she came up with the plan (in particular, her half of the plan, which was the method for providing support for Anakin). Again, Yularen awakes from his injuries in time to give her positive reinforcement, and provide actual chain-of-command authority (I think), but he actually waits for her order to commence the different stages of the attack. Yularen, and all of the other officers, call her "sir." She was leading in a very real way, and in a thematically significant way.

Like I said, I'm not suggesting that the baby bird had completely flown the nest. But it was a key moment of increased responsibility. Not to mention, something that happened way back in Season 1.

7. Spazmatron

Sep 19, 2012
    Anakin said "Hey everyone, listen up. I'm going to be gone for a while so im putting commander Tano in charge"

she is in charge of the ship, and all its crew, and its her job to break the blockade, not just make a plan... so yes, she is in charge of whats left of Anakins fleet, aka one ship and some fighters.

LawJedi likes this.
  8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree that it was a moment of increased responsibility, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't over-stated. But maybe it wasn't. I'll check it out.

Spazmatron likes this.
  9. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    The plan was so simplistic and idiotic.

10. Spazmatron

Sep 19, 2012
    Actually it did have some logic to it... In combat, effectiveness is determined a lot by getting surrounds and drawing enemies into traps, which is what this plan did.

Even if it was idiotic, well, hey, these are story writers, not military geniuses :p

11. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, to the story writers, think of a more realistic way how they would do it in the Pacific.

12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Really? That was the same maneuver that Thrawn did in the beginning of Heir to the Empire if you did not know.

13. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    1. That was the point. It was a simple maneuver that threw off the droids who were left to control the Seperatist forces.
    2. It was a Marg Sabl (a move so classic and standard that it had a name!) The plan was inspired by a Grand Admiral Thrawn strategy from Heir to the Empire. Even then, the point of the plan was its simplicity and absurdity, in the face of an alien enemy who doesn't a great deal of intellectual spontaneity. You know, like droids. ;)

14. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    But the way he did it was far more elaborate than how Ahsoka managed to do it.

15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Care to elaborate?

Spazmatron likes this.
  16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    But remember TCW at the time was aimed at 11 year old boys who would have never read Heir to the Empire.

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  17. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    Thrawn is a broader type of guy who knows what he's doing and is battle-smart, but Ahsoka (chronology plays a role in this too) is just a new Padawan and shouldn't be given an assignment like this. And plus, now that I think about it, I hope Thrawn didn't get this idea from Ahsoka.

18. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Again, who is suggesting that she's some battle hardened strategist? Anakin tossed her in the deep end. Everyone said the plan was risky. She tried something nutty, made the hard choice, and it worked. You just went from saying "the plan is dumb because... stuff " to "she is dumb, because... stuff" You're presenting a very passive aggressive argument.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    So I just watched Storm Over Ryloth.

Anakin is the one who comes up with the plan. He says he got the idea thinking about things Ahsoka had said, but Ahsoka was basically just whining (it's S1 Ahsoka...) and not the one who came up with the plan. It wasn't like Inspector Gadget where Penny comes up with the plan and saves everyone's ass. Anakin implements his own plan which includes making Ahsoka take the lead of all the squadrons instead of just one, but not the cruiser. Then she comes up with an idea for her part of the mission Anakin assigned her to that no one believes in and they try to convince her that her plan is bad and she needs to think of a new one, and only when Admiral Yularen enters the room and takes her side do they agree to go along with Ahsoka's idea for her part of the plan.

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I just re-watched as well but in my mind she was put into control of the cruiser, since Yularen was injured from the previous attack on the blockade.

21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Dark Lord Tarkas we're getting lost in the semantics about what we're calling the plan. I have been referring to her role in the mission following Anakin's exit in the damaged cruiser. That's the point at which she becomes independent from Jedi supervision (which I thought was the whole point of this strand of discussion).

And I completely disagree re: her command of the cruiser.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I stated that she wasn't put in charge of the cruiser based on the fact that no one, including Anakin, ever said she was. Here's the quote to Ahsoka one-on-one:

"I'm counting on you to engage the fleet with the combined forces we have here."

And here's the quote to the group of clones:

"I'm taking over the Defender and I'm leaving Commander Ahsoka in charge. She'll lead the second half of the mission when we engage what's remaining of the blockade."

I guess it depends on how you define being in charge. She's in charge of using their combined remaining forces to execute the plan Anakin gave her. That's the same responsibility she's had before on a bigger scale, but not having the added responsibility of being in charge of everything.

And as I mentioned, the clones do not appear willing to follow Ahsoka's plan until Yularen backs it, that has to count for something.

23. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    The clones may not have backed it because she is a 14 year old with little battle experience compare to battle-hardened naval and army officers.

24. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I would agree that there's some vagueness to Anakin's command, if you don't take into context of the rest of the episode. But the rest of the episode shows her heading to the bridge, giving commands to army and naval officers, and being called "sir" by the person we know is the highest ranked naval officer on the ship: Yularen.

25. Spazmatron

Sep 19, 2012
    Little battle experience you say yet she was like one of the only ones who survived the fighter battle and is more lethal in combat than anyone in the fleet except Anakin... Shes a Jedi... not just some "kid"