main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Finally I've begun Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law.

Jedi Knight Fett and NYCitygurl like this.
  2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm rereading LOTR and reading Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson (about the evolution of football/soccer tactics), plus throwing in a short story from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes from time to time.

I also read to my daughters every night, amongst others, we're reading this
    [​IMG]
    My Mom had gotten the Heidi books (the original story was published in two books, btw), as a gift from an aunt in mid-30s. Pain in the butt to read, though, as the typeface is "Fraktur", the archaic font set you see on the cover. Trying to distinguish lower case "f" and "s" is nearly impossible
    [​IMG]

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm getting a headache just looking at that.

4. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for the nth time.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I hate reading books where "f" and "s" looks alike. Good luck getting through the books, yankee8255 !

I'm rereading Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I've started Carthage Must Be Destroyed, by Richard Miles. It's pretty interesting so far. One of the most interesting tidbits is that the tales of Carthaginians sacrificing children are actually supported by the archaeological record, and not just Roman and Greek propaganda.

And yes, I'm very bad having 4 or 5 books going at the same time.

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Hm, gonna have to add that to my list and yes they really did that.

In fact the biblical story of Abraham being asked to kill his son and then not having to relates to this as it was a repudiation of that type of sacrifice, which was carried on by the Hebrew's neighbors to the north, the Phoenicians (Caananites), who founded Carthage.

I'm finally reading Game Change. Hope to finish on the plane to Italy tomorrow.

8. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, the Carthaginians did. I've been to one of the archaeology sites related to it in Tunisia. I've been debating whether to get that book, and I probably will at some point.

9. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    As a history major who plans to become a professor and specialize in the ancient Mediterranean (though particularly Late Republican to Mid Principate Rome), I envy you.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, that was a fun trip. That's a subject that's long fascinated me, but I haven't had time to do much reading about it recently. I'd lean more towards Late Antiquity, though, and not Roman Republic.

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Nonfiction, I assume? This sounds right up my alley; I was a history major, too (though I specialized in the middle ages).

Currently re-reading (for the dozenth time :p ) Sharon Shinn's "Reader and Raelynx."

12. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yep, it's nonfiction. Basically a chronological overview of Carthaginian history, culture, and interactions with neighboring cultures.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Scott Lynch news, I suppose, of a kind, got this from Amazon today:

There is but one response!

[​IMG]

ARSE! ARSE! ARRRSSSSSEEEEE!!!

:_|

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am without a new book to read. :_| I finished Saintcrow, fun book, a little over the top at the end, but good and looking forward to more.

I shalt hunt B&N tomorrow after Dredd 3D. I has me eye on Spin the Sky, but we shall see.

15. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The second book in Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series, The Blinding Knife.

Still not anywhere as good as the Way of Shadows books, sadly. Too much explanation of how this world's magic system works (ie. too many tedious and dull parts).

16. Lando Carmello

Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Mark Kurlansky: 1968

17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Ten Big Ones by Janet Evanovich

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] If you need any recs, come here--I'm sure we have plenty :p

Pants, I used to love that series! I probably read the first ten or so. I need to get back into it.

RC, definitely adding it to The List :D

19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    FelsGoddess read them all and Sirius/XM's book radio's snippet of one of them intrigued me. So much fun! Definitely great when you need some mindless humour :D

(Also, hi! It's great to be back, among familiar faces :))

20. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

The Last Of The Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've just started "Caesar's Women" the fourth part of Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series. I actually read the three first parts last year when I was in Tunisia, and Carthage. She is great in building atmosphere, and it's obvious that she's done a lot of research to make as much as possible historically correct. My main problem is that she's turned Caesar into a real Marty Sue. He's so perfect that I get sick of him, that's the main reason why it took me so long between finishing the third book and starting the fourth. I'm hoping to get through this book though so that I can come to the next part, which is more about the war in Gaul and the reason why I started the series in the first part. I have a soft spot for anything about the Roman conquest there.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Rereading "Life of Pi." Just saw the movie trailer.

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes it is :D Have you seen the movie? (That's what really made me want to reread them, actually 8-} )

Obi Anne, that series sounds interesting ... another for my list!

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It is really good if you want to get an insight in Roman life, and the two first parts where Marius and Sulla are the main characters are great.

25. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Right now I'm reading The 4th Parallel Aeon Paradox. It's a serie with 4 books, and I'm reading the 3rd one. It's about a girl, her name is Emma Thomas, who can that can travel through parallels. It's a perfect book for those that loves science and fantasy.