main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LCC X BEGINS***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    Fighting with the electronic lightsabers didn't affect how you could perform the choreo? Like, it seems you'd have to be more careful with them as opposed to anything else where you can just go at it.

2. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    That's a shame. That rule should be adjusted. It's to protect from people having too much dialogue. There should be a clear difference between a fight that is "better" because it has most choreography versus something that has best choreography.

3. drewjmore

drewjmore Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 15, 2007
    SB, I agree, 5 out of someone's 10 minutes sounds fair, but at the low end it forces some unfortunates decisions. e.g. the Seven Samurai clip wouldn't make it.

I re-opened the After Effects file for my old entry last night. I think I'll eventually finish it out as intended.

Totally, that stuff looks awesome!

4. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    They make light up saber blades specifically for dueling. I've played around with a couple before, and they can be really sturdy. Although, I'm sure that I could still break them in an impressively creative way during choreography. lol

5. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    Well the other thing is weight, which I've come to find super important when dueling. If the weight is in the blade and not the hilt it will show when you fight.

6. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    We ended up going with the shorter 30" blades that my fiancee's double-sided saber came with instead of the stock 36"ers for precisely that reason. Otherwise though, the electronics in Ultrasabers hilts is really simple. They're LED flashlights with setscrews for 1" blades (in and of itself an issue in post but Vapes has that roto covered). We ended up tossing (and dropping) these things around for quite a while.

Edit: Also, hey, look at that. Nesting a bunch of quotes isn't going to work as well as it did in the last system. Duly noted.

7. Joel_K

Joel_K Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    'Sup.

Been awhile. You look terrible.;)

Looking forward to this year's Latte Chuggin' Competish'.

8. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    The UltraSabers are superb. The only concern was battery life, but we kept a pack of 'AA's on hand and had no real problems. We definitely cut loose and these things survived quite a beating. We choreographed with my old stunt blades so as not to unnecessarily wear the Ultra blades down, but we only used the two blades for the entirety of filming, with the only modification being a layer of clear duct tape so we could get more friction in our strikes.

The heavier weight also was better for what we were trying to accomplish with the choreography. I like Ryan's designs and how light my own carbon fiber props are, but for the style we were going for with our fight, something heavier that required two hands was called for.

And seriously, I'm never using non-glowing props again. I haven't had to roto Boter's glasses once, nor reflections, nor have I ever had trouble finding an outline to roto. Plus the interactive light rocks my Jedi socks. The 1" blade is a bit thick and throws off the core's blur a bit in closer shots, but I'm developing ways to hide that.

There's a few little things I'd want to work on for the production phase to save some steps in post next time, but I'm so glad we decided to try this out.

Penitio likes this.
  9. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    One week more.

Penitio likes this.
  10. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    Tell me again why I spent valuable time yesterday on a production company logo instead of an actual effect.

11. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    Well... Didn't film anything this weekend... My original plan was to film something Saturday with my cousin, but she never answered her phone before hand. She then showed up Saturday to drafted me in helping her with some crap having to do with one of her friends who's been having problems at home, (which lasted from 9am, to 1am Sunday)... I swear, Teenagers these days have more issues than all the soaps combined.

So... Yeah... Would film something during the week, but nobody to film with. Sucks.

12. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    [​IMG]

Sigh.
    *goes back to After Effects*

Penitio likes this.
  13. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    ...yeah, we really should've made a shorter duel. Oh well.

14. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    I'm willing to wager our duel is the longest this year.

15. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    Fixed it for you.

Actually I feel like our duel length is pretty much perfect. Just, yeah, crunch time on effects.

Joel_K likes this.
  16. ShaneFarley22

ShaneFarley22 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2008
    Hey everyone whatsup.

17. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    Sup foo.

18. Ricky_Calrissian

Nov 17, 2008
    Forums.... so... DEAD.

19. ShaneFarley22

Jun 2, 2008
    Yeah what gives??!!

20. WhiteKnight99

WhiteKnight99 Jedi Knight

Sep 28, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forums and the contest. I'm probably not going to be able to do all the fx for my entry in time, but that seems to be happening for a lot of people this year.

Here... Have a poster.

[​IMG]

21. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    I can't see the poster.
    Max

22. WhiteKnight99

WhiteKnight99 Jedi Knight

Sep 28, 2012
    Sorry about that. My bad.

[​IMG]

23. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
  24. ShaneFarley22

Jun 2, 2008
    Very cool WhiteKnight; kind of reminds me of the imperial jedi knights.

25. Boter

Jul 8, 2002
    Aw :( I wish we had a poster.

VAPES. (Okay, you're busy. Maybe for the post-LLC release.)