main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Never mind, RC-1991 pointed out a better venue.

2. Master Valon

Master Valon Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2012
    Ah, okay. Well, I can certainly see why people have problems with her, then. HOWEVER, I PERSONALLY don't happen to have the same problems. As to her "repetitive" character arcs (i.e., the complaints about her characters all having the same thoughts, etc.), I think they are similar, perhaps, but they differ enough to be enjoyable and plausible. And I don't think its too farfetched to have the members of the same faction to have similar points of view regarding the Jedi, etc....As far as her attitude to the fans, well.....yes I agree her parallels were a bit extreme, but not completely unfounded. I think she's just very passionate about her real-world convictions, and (however you feel about them), they bled into her work. I'm a proponent of connecting what you believe in in the "real" world to fiction that you enjoy as a hobby/pasttime. I do so very frequently. So I don't personally have a problem with anything she did. BUT, I can see how other people, who might feel that isn't within the rights of an author, might have a problem with it. *Shrugs*

3. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    This has been said by someone else in a different forum, but the more I thought about it the more I found myself in agreement: I dislike Anakin Solo. HIs plan to head to Myrkr was ill-conceived, poorly reconnoitered, and horribly executed. Yeah, he saved his sister from getting skewered. I hardly think that is enough for the hero worship that has been given him. If he would've just blown the place up, he wouldn't have had to throw himself in front of Jaina. He risked twelve to save two. A good tactician would have looked at that and taken the two losses.

His view that 'the Force is just a tool' seems to run contrary to what it means to be a Jedi. If it is just a 'tool', then why spend years trying to learn it?

Fleab88 likes this.
  4. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    And that is what happens when a creative team is forced to kill of a character. Especially one so young :p

In all seriousness though I completely agree. I was never a huge fan of him to begin with. Glad to see someone else has the same feelings.

GrandMasterKatarn and SiouxFan like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That it's akin to a really, really complex buzzsaw and if you don't take time to learn how to use it properly it'll saw your soul in half before you can blink?

RC-1991 and SiouxFan like this.
  6. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Well...yes, tactically you should take the two losses. But I'm not convinced that 1) it's a Jedi thing to do (and yes, that does mean I view the Jedi as sometimes suicidal in their pursuit of good, but someone has to sometimes); 2) it would have made us like Anakin, given his arc. Though if you disliked his arc, that probably doesn't make a difference.

7. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I don't think that anyone would have changed their mind about Anakin given your point two. Most would have (and I count myself in that number) viewed a decison to blow up the damn place as ensuring mission success over taking an unnecessary risk.

I would argue that a Jedi thing to do what have better recon on where you were going, and what you were going up against. Not one of them was ready for being tortured, but if he would have talked to Danni Quee, she could have told him how the Vong treated prisoners. Risking the lives of twelve to save two isn't noble, it's stupid.

8. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, yes. But then, I think the war should have been handled by Wedge and Pellaeon (with support from A'baht, bel Iblis, Kre'fey, etc), not the Jedi, and certainly not by Sien Sovv and his crew of Senate-loving bunglers.

Rrrr.

SiouxFan likes this.
  9. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The Shadow of the Empire novel uses very uninteresting and repetitive language for a novel its size. Reads like dumbed-down Star Wars. Too many flashbacks. Just kind of a cheap premise. But it does capture the campy Flash Gordony fun. Very TO BE CONTINUED. But its still overrated.

The Glove of Darth Vader series ain't so bad. It's meant for kids, and some of the characters, settings and illustrations are very memorable.

While the Clone Wars microseries was good for its time, it's really just a mini-replacement for what has become TCW. I used to like it, but it pales so much in comparison to what has become. It's a shame that the project was so small. I really like Tartakovsky, but I can't consider it anywhere near cannon anymore.

Dark Empire is as cool as one of the movies. It got everything RIGHT!

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes, memorable is definitely the word.

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I really need to get ahold of scans of the GODV illustrations. I can't think of any situation where they are not appropriate.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    You haven't read them??? I'd argue they are every bit as important to understanding the EU as the Thrawn trilogy is. You're missing a key piece in what makes every character who they are. Ever wondered why Luke might be afraid of spiders? Well, he's nearly killed by a giant spider in one of the books, only to be saved by the amazing Jedi Prince.

The issues covered in the Jedi Prince books are so heavy that they're often just swept under the rug by current authors who don't feel themselves capable of tackling them. Understandable, I suppose.

13. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I've read whichever one had Ken and Luke on the cover, with Stormies in the background. I loved the scene where Luke uses Mind tricks to convince some Stormtroopers that he is, in fact, Kadann.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    See, I don't even remember that scene. Just goes to show you how much depth those books contain, impossible to keep it stored in the feeble human mind. I think it might be time for a reread myself...

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I mean, how can I call myself a Star Wars fan when I haven't experienced the full glory of Han and Chewie's sky house?

Zorrixor and instantdeath like this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be amazing to have an actual sky house.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    These are the kinds of philosophical questions Jedi Prince asks, nay, demands that you consider.

RC-1991 likes this.
  18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't understand this part. How can you not consider it canon? And how is it a replacement when it preceded TCW? [​IMG]

Zeta1127 likes this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    If nothing else, the microseries had some fantastic animation. Also the only thing to make Durge likable (telling, considering he doesn't talk in it... think they were on to something there).

20. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Read The Search for Chewbacca's Gold. Hated it.

Havac likes this.
  21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    His origins made him somewhat sympathetic.

22. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    How popular is the microseries? Is it popular or unpopular to really, really dislike it?

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Fairly popular in comparison to the TCW series. Of course, the TCW series is much more popular with those that don't feel the borderline psychotic compulsion to post on a Star Wars message board. So either way I suppose?

That said, I think the micro series serves its intended purpose (a fast paced, well animated and slightly silly cartoon to build up excitement for the next Star Wars movie) than TCW does (oh man, let's not get into the purpose of TCW :p)

24. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I always got the impression that it was rather popular, though I wasn't here when it first aired. I love it, myself.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I love GTCW, and utterly despise TCW, so it definitely works both ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.