main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Questions about the new boards? Read this thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    is there a way to see if someone has read a message you sent to them?

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I believe you just go to the conversation and it's marked (at the bottom) read or unread.

3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm pleased to find this thread, as often crack_van on LJ has TFN Star Wars stories that I recommended in the past, and it's good to know how to fix links. *shuffles off to learn something new*

4. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    I'm thinking of just re-posting the Qui-Gon Index/FAQ into a new thread, after I finish updating the links. I would just put a note on the 'old' Qui-Gon list about the 'new' one. That way, I won't have to wait for the truncation problem to be fixed. All the posts have to be edited anyway because the links need to be updated and re-posting won't really take much more time than that anyway. Of course, anyone reading the fics will have to wait for the truncation problem to be fixed ....

Mod opinions?

5. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    Pretty simple question. I have a piece in English showing someone on Earth with Force powers. That rank as SW ?

(Because, when the powers are not nammed, it's arguable that this look a lot like anime or superheroes)

6. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure we've had Earth crossovers before. As long as it's clear that it's Star Wars-based (via characters, explicit references to the Star Wars universe and mythology as an Actual Thing and not just movies/books/etc), then it's fine. As always, if you have questions about the allowability of any text, you can always PM it to any of the fanfic mods for review. :)

7. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    The issue is that, for the sake of realism, the Force don't appear at once (well, people start to be beheaded and have their organs cruched by page 12...)

8. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Honestly, I'm a little more concerned about the beheading and organ crunching. I'd direct you to the Fanfic FAQ but that post has been truncated, so just know that we have a limit on how much gore and graphic violence is allowed- basic rule of thumb is nothing over a PG-13 rating (i.e. nothing worse than you'd see in any of the movies). If you think your story treads that border (or sails right over it), please let us look over it first so we can let you know if it's okay to post.

Thanks!

9. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    Well, I would be glad to. Where can I post it ?

10. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    Any time a story might be questionable, just send it in a conversation to myself, mavjade, or Luna_Nightshade (or go wild and include all three of us, since that's easy to do now!). We'll look it over and let you know if it's okay to post on the story boards. :)

11. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    I will send it tomorrow, after toning down a bit the graphic violence.

12. BaronNoir

Sep 6, 2001
    I post the first 10 pages (unfortunately, without the Force powers) but without any controversial content.

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Probably a silly question, but how do I "tag" someone when I post in a thread?

14. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
  15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Oh! Big DOH! moment here. [face_blush] Thanks

16. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    So, I don't see any objections to just re-posting the Qui-Gon Index/FAQ into a new thread to update and get around the truncation? I'll have to try it this weekend or next.

Since we're in our new home, I guess I'll switch to a smaller font.

And for an even sillier question ..... what does 'tagging' actually do?

17. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    JinnIsMine - Tagging will send you an alert, as I'm sure this tag just did. Basically, if you want to make sure someone reads something, tagging them will let them know their attention is wanted in that area.

As for reposting, I have no issue with that. I actually think there's a lot of merit to a fresh start on the new boards, so long as we lock the old one to avoid confusion.

18. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I also am good with the idea of reposting. It might be nice to refresh longer stories and perhaps pick up new readers, which is always a good thing.

19. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This makes me think of the folks coming here for the first time and discovering all the goodness; they might feel encouraged to comment on fanwork.

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    While we were on the temp boards, I had signed in there under this name when they first came up, then forgot I'd signed up so signed up again under the name "Neeka". I posted a story as "Neeka" and wanted to repost it here. Thing is, it has the word "Damn" in it. I seem to recall that damn was one word that was not allowed. I may be wrong, 'cause no one called me on it on the temp board.

21. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    No one called you on it because it's not a disallowed word (in fact, I've used it a number of times in my own stories). So proceed! :D

22. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
  23. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Are we still allowed a little more leeway in-fic? The FAQ is cut-off well before it gets to it, but I'm pretty sure we were allowed to rarely use some of the 'lesser' disallowed words between characters.

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, there is a little bit of leeway with fictional characters: Whore and Bastard can be used between characters in fics, but we really encourage people to either use Star Wars words for make their own for such things. Other than that, pretty much any of the words on the disallowed words list shouldn't be used.

If anyone ever have a question about if something specific can be used, send a fic or a section of fic to any of the fanfic mods and we'll let you know. :)

25. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I've been looking at the format bar... we don't seem to have the highlighting function. Which is weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.