main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Top 10 Greatest Swordsmen/women in the EU.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Silas Nightstalker, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Luke Skywalker
    Yoda
    Palpatine
    Mace Windu
    Anakin Skywalker
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Mara Jade Skywalker
    Anakin Solo
    Jacen Solo
    Count Dooku

Luke, because he's been called the most dangerous man in the galaxy time and time again. The older he gets, the greater his abilities. His entire life had been war after war, fight after fight. He has been involved in countless duels, and not a single member of the NJO could rival him in combat.
    Yoda, basically because of all the bragging and boasting about him. Other than the movies, I haven't seen much from him, but I know he's held in extremely high regard.
    Palpatine, because he killed 4 very powerful Jedi Masters, including a High Council member, and he defeated Yoda in a one on one battle.
    Mace, because he held his own against Palpatine, and would have very likely killed him, had Anakin not intervened. Also, he created his very own form of lightsaber combat that very few others could even attempt.
    Anakin Skywalker, as he defeated Count Dooku and very nearly defeated Obi-Wan. Had he defeated Obi-Wan, he would have become unrivaled as a swordsman, and eventually overthrown Palpatine. He would rank higher on this list, but even Palpatine himself said that he would have been no match for Yoda, hence his lower ranking.
    Obi-Wan, because he defeated Darth Maul while still a Padawan, General Grievous as a Master, and even defeated Anakin immediately after he became Vader. He had been described as the ultimate Jedi. I still believe Anakin to be greater, despite his loss to Obi-Wan. Had Anakin not been so foolish, he would have won.
    Mara Jade, because she was one of the first female Jedi Masters in the NJO, as well as a former Emperor's Hand. Her heightened sense of danger made her extra dangerous in combat. She was the first Jedi to slay a Vong, and was even able to fight while sick and pregnant. She also nearly killed Jacen Solo, were it not for his superior Force abilities. Plus, she was married to Luke Skywalker. I'm sure he taught her a few tricks.
    Anakin Solo, because he killed more Yuuzhan Vong in combat than any other Jedi until Ganner Rhysode's last stand, and that was at the age of 16 (15, maybe?). He rediscovered battle meditation. Corran Horn told him that he would become the next Luke Skywalker, and Luke, upon seeing him in the Lake of Apparitions, told him that no Jedi since his death had been as strong as him.
    Jacen Solo, because of his defeat of the Yuuzhan Vong, Kyle Katarn, and Mara Jade Skywalker. He would have easily defeated his sister, Jaina, had Luke not been fighting through her.
    Count Dooku. He trained Qui-Gon Jinn, defeated both Anakin and Obi-Wan in combat, and even held his own against Yoda for a short time.

The only woman I could think of was Mara, and I really didn't care to include Jaina. To me, she's not that great of a swordswoman (swordstress?) due to the fact that she only beat Jacen with Luke's help. I'd love to hear what others have to say! Let's make it fun. :)

2. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    While I am not a huge Kyle Katarn fan, I believe that he deserves to be on that list. As a jedi, he is passable, as a swordsman, he is nearly unparalleled.
    I FULLY approve of Obi-Wan. He was the single greatest practitioner of Form III, and he most assuredly was the ultimate Jedi.
    Kit Fisto should be up there perhaps. Debatable.
    And you are right, definitely Luke Skywalker.

3. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    The problem with the swordsmanship debate is the way lightsaber combat evolved over the films. Yes, you saw Vader using TK in ESB, but it was nowhere near on the scale (or silliness) of the use of TK in RotS.

So other than Luke, I'm just not sure...

4. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Is that list in order? Because i'd place Palpatine above Yoda, and Dooku and Jacen above Mara.

5. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I'd say that's fair, to have Dooku above Mara, but I don't know that I'd put Jacen above Mara. I think Jacen was great, but slightly overrated. I'd consider Palpatine and Yoda to be equals. I really wish there were novels about Dooku, so we could see what all the hype is, other than the 3 lightsaber battles that we've seen in the movies.

6. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, since Jacen beat Mara by cheating, I'm not sure if that puts him over or under her in the final analysis, but in terms of raw skill, I'd say she mopped the cave with him.

lukemaraben and Silas Allender like this.
  7. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Not ABOUT dooku per se, but Yoda Dark Rendezvous gives a lot of insight into his character, as does his last several moments in the novelization of Revenge of the Sith.

8. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm thinking something along the lines of a young Dooku, with his Padawan Qui Gon Jinn. That would be exciting. I've also heard the Qui-Gon was an excellent swordsman, but I have yet to read anything to validate that claim.

9. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Equals or with Palpatine above Yoda lol that's the only way I can personally see it.

With Jacen and Mara, from their fight leading up to her death I don't remember it relying heavily on swordsmanship. So I wouldn't say Mara came out looking the better swordsman of the two. I will agree that Jacen was overrated during LOTF however. If I remember correctly there was a point where he was called the 2nd Greatest Swordsman in the galaxy and I literally had to stop reading because I was rolling with laughter.

Silas Allender likes this.
  10. Starwarsranterman

Starwarsranterman Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    While I agree with most of what you say, the only thing is I think that palpatene let Mace disarm him so that anakin could intervine, I don't think mace actually took him out. That being said I still think Mace should be on the list.

11. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    I just don't remember Jacen being that great of a swordsman. Yes, he beat Kyle Katarn, but I'd call that a fluke win.

12. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Er...a fluke win with two other opponents, and superior tactics of surprise and tech on the other side?

I don't think Jacen's nearly well-developed enough as a threat, but his beating of Kyle didn't seem like it was one of those times...

13. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Okay, you definitely have a point there. I forgot that there were other Jedi with Kyle. I honestly wasn't opposed to the idea of Jacen turning to the Dark Side, but it happened too soon. Maybe when he was in his 40's, and had established himself. Then he would be a serious threat. He was deposed fairly easily, though, compared to other Sith Lords.

14. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    I just don't remember enough being done to warrant him being some great swordsman. I mean, what happens happens. He defeats who he defeats. But throughout his career I never thought he came off as anything special in that field. The force was where I thought he excelled. Finding out he was apparently the one of the best duelists in the galaxy was like whiplash. Maybe I didn't follow his career closely enough though.

15. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I have the same problem with Anakin Solo. I think we've attributed things to him that we WISH he had rather then ones he DID have. He got dusted by his brother every time they dueled.

Jacen also kept Aurra Sing at bay when she was trying to kidnap Allana. (Okay, so Aurra is like 120 in this scene, but stil...)

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Aurra Sing is still alive and kicking after the Yuuzhan Vong War?

17. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Sadly, yes. (Tempest, if memory serves)

18. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    This! If we are to strictly look at swordsmanship Kyle has a pretty good reputation in that department I beleive. In regards to Dooku's abilities, he used to teach swordsmanship at the Academy and was only bested twice since his knighthood, wasn't he?

19. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I believe so. Qui-Gon was (reportedly) almost as good as his master, but like someone said above, we never got to see anything to substantiate that claim.

20. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    But when was the last time they dueled? It was during the very early parts of the Vong war, before he spent time with Mara on Dantooine, if my memory serves me correctly. He learned a great deal during that time, and rapidly grew as a Jedi, enough that Luke entrusted him to lead the strike team to kill the voxyn queen.

Loto68 and zarkinfrood like this.
  21. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I was going to say something similar Silas Allender, but I couldn't remember my facts...

22. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    The two are mutually exclusive: Anakin's leadership abilities had nothing to do with his sword-fighting skills. He DID grow as a Jedi, and a a leader. I'm only pointing out that Jacen beat him. That's comparable to saying that the Patriots got a whole lot better in this last offseason. The fact is: they STILL lost the SuperBowl.

23. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Its been a long time since I read NJO, but I don't remember Anakin doing any serious training with Mara on his lightsaber skills. In terms of leading the mission against the Voxyn Queen, missions are never about who the most powerful person is. Its about who can lead the mission. The entire plan was literally Anakin's idea, and at the time Jacen was still extremely confused about himself and the Force. He was in no position to lead the mission, as evidenced by his clashing and questioning of Anakin during the mission. As his uncle and master, and someone who'd been with Jacen throughout the war, i'm sure Luke knew this. If I had to describe the two at the time (And again I haven't read NJO in a long time) Jacen was the better duelist, Anakin had the stronger connection to the Force.

24. Silas Nightstalker

Sep 7, 2012
    Anakin's connection to the Force made him better in other areas. The first time Anakin fought the Vong, he defeated them. The first time Jacen fought, he was captured and Luke had to rescue him. Anakin was killing entire squads of Vong while running through the mountains of Dantooine while protecting his sick aunt.

Loto68 and zarkinfrood like this.
  25. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    The first time Jacen fought the Vong, he rescued Danni Quee. Truce?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.