main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    One of my aunts gets married Saturday and I have my 15th high school reunion later that night. Whee?

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I can't read sheet music. I've tried. I even took a piano class in high school, a beginner's class, and I couldn't read the sheet music after three hours of my teacher showing me the notes. But I could play everything perfectly by ear. She hated me. I gave up after two weeks and dropped the class.

I keep having nightmares about being back in college and missing class. I wish my brain would give that up. It's been years, and I just graduated from a technical school.

3. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Heh. I did miss class yesterday morning. My alarm clock broke sometime in the middle of the night, but of course that sounds like a lame excuse to a professor when I apologize profusely via email as soon as I woke up. I tried to get there, but I live a whole hour away from campus. Alas. Today I bought a new alarm clock. That nightmare isn't going to happen again.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I play violin (or did), and tootled on the flute enough to get into high school marching band and play violin. I was in choir. I wanted to be Julie Andrews when I grew up (this was in the days of Mary Poppins and Sound of Music when I wished that).

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I took piano lessons as a kid; I never practiced, so I was never very good, but I can read music and I can sing; loudly if not well.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I can read music and I can play a piano by ear (though not well). If I were to pick up another instrument, it wouldn't be too much to learn to play it. I wanna learn guitar, but I'd need a left-handed guitar, because I do my fingering with my right hand and strum with my left.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It really is a shame that XWO and WolfKing93 from the temp boards haven't made it here, because I really liked The New Jedi Order: Siege by XWO and Beacon by WolfKing93.

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It's a shame that some people who have been here before the move haven't yet come back.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed. Not that I know any of them.

10. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Well, we're all hoping that more folks make it back, though we're also really glad that we can have new people again! It was a sad day when registration stopped working on the old boards.

Today I got to see a space ship fly! The shuttle Endeavor did a big fly-by over California, and it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

I got to hang out on a rooftop food court with a bunch of other really excited people, and it was really awesome. As many have said, BEST PIGGYBACK RIDE EVER. :D

TrakNar and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    So, I was very confused at the top of this page. Why were we talking about music? Then I skipped back a page and found everyone talking about boobs. I definitely saw Dana's hand in that one. I am one of those people who got sexually harassed for the first time in 6th grade because guys had realized that I had something that most girls didn't have sticking out of my torso.

As for music, I play it. A lot. I am currently learning the Haydn Sonata #46 for piano, the Scherzo in c minor by Vandall and working on possibly composing a suite. My family kind of has that music thing instead of being good at any sports.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I didn't start to develop until I was a freshman. [face_plain]

Anywho, my neighborhood is having a yard sale tomorrow. I set my alarm so I can get up early and join in. How much should I charge for Rogue Planet? :p

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Won't talk about boobs, took piano until the post Operation Desert Storm recession hit, and I ended up on the swim team because it was one or the other and Mom thought I enjoyed swimming more.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Rogue Planet? 50 cents. Unless it's paperback. Then a nickel.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hell, I'll give it away for free.

"Why are you selling this book?"

"It sucked on toast."

16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I was a late bloomer. I had a figure of a pre-pubescent boy until I was 15. Now I have more 'junk' than most women.

My family a yard sale last weekend. Sold most of my manga that I got as a preteen and a bunch of clothes. We actually made a decent chunk of money considering it was a last minute 'the neighbors are doing it so we might as well get rid of some stuff' thing. Then we really couldn't figure out how to split the money, so we went out for dinner and I had my first public drink.

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    That is one epic picture! I love it. I saw the Red Arrows once, they weren't at a show, just eight of them flying over where I live in two close formations of four. Looked awesome.

Talking of selling stuff, did you know I'd published a book? I have a link in my sig if you want to check it out.

18. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I can read sheet music . . . sort of. That is to say, I can look at the notes and play them on a flute or sax, but until I actually do so I have no idea what the tune sounds like. Otherwise I have to go through the piece note by note, sounding a bit like the two-headed monster from Sesame Street, only with a lot more heads. :p

BTW, I've been meaning to ask about this (and I suspect I should be asking elsewhere) but - is there a policy on posting fanfic based on published original fiction written by JC users?

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Not a clue. That's a good question.

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm guessing it falls under the same policy as other fanfic. Although, seeing as you know who wrote it I would have said that it'd be polite to actually ask first before posting. So, yeah, I'd ask first and see what they say.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think it would depend if it is published on not. If it is, then I would say it falls under the same category as anything else, unless the person has made it clear (like other authors) that they don't want fanfic written of their stuff. If it's not published, then I would ask the person directly (I know if someone wanted to write fanfic off my original WiP, I'd say not till it's published). Keep if mind, if you do get the OK from the writer if it's not published, then very few people would have read or have access to the original work.

Edit. I'm a dummy and didn't see that you already put 'published'. In that case, I would ask, just to be polite, but I say go for it.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Got back from an aunt's wedding. Leaving in a bit for my 15th high school reunion. I am OLD!

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, you are old :p But so is everyone else you will be seeing tonight.

At my 15th high school reunion... in another 14 years :p ... I plan to be that nerdy girl that turned into a high class author on the arm of a multi-millionaire Swiss banker. IT WILL HAPPEN!

24. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Writing fic based on published novels by JC members is a question for the NSWFF mods, but I imagine the policy is the same as with everything else- said authors are free to disallow work based on their stories, and we'll respect that, but otherwise it should be fine.

25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Like Ish, I got the teasing for developing early...and like Topsy, I just kept growing. I am so envious of those who actually fit into blouses and tops because I swear they're made for almost boy-shaped women.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.