main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit After the NJO, before the DNT.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Sep 18, 2012.

1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    But...Zekk is a tall mass of boredom-inducing stuff...

Agree about Jacen, sadly.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Don't follow the Jedi -- at least not overwhelmingly. We've gotten plenty about the Jedi lately. Follow the people who need the most expanding -- the ordinary folks. Rogue Squadron and the Wraiths, the Katarn Commandos, Gavin and Page and Pash.

Zeta1127 and The_Forgotten_Jedi like this.
  3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    While a novel in this era would be great, I think there is more potential in the 36-40 ABY time period. This was the height of Galactic Alliance and Jedi cooperation, and a political novel setting up the SGCW would be great.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There's some potential, but unlike, say, the two prequel conflicts, where we're dropped into existing crises with just, "Yeah, people are fighting over these comex political disputes," we did get a fairly good explanation wih LOTF of who's mad and why exactly, and we saw the process of things coming to a head. It doesn't cry out for a political prequel. I think there's way more potential in seeing the immediate fallout and squabbling and recovery effort from a massive galactic war. Especially since it'll. E before DN idiotically pushed the reset button on the NJO. So, you know, DENON. And stuff.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  5. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't know. Pretty much all of the NJO was Jaina piloting. She very rarely fought hand to hand, from what I remember.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jacen sojourn, Jaina leading Twin Suns or being a military diplomat to the Chiss or whatever it was, Han and Leia going to the Corporate Sector, Luke and Mara setting up shop on Ossus, the Ryn Network, Boba Fett and the Mandos, Coruscant being reconstructed, GA gov't on Dennon, rogue Yuuzhan Vong Warlords, Bothan Ar'Krai etc. We had so many interesting plot lines going. All wasted and useless. Nom Anor is not dead. He survived!

7. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Indeed, avoiding the Jedi during this period also helps avoid a writing problem created by the rapid publication of down-the-timestream novels: the absence of any newly emergent Jedi to high fame. Apparently the Jedi order's role in war reconstruction was suitably boring that no one emerged from the 50+ survivors of the war to hold a significant place in the Order's decision making five-years later. Dark Nest is almost regrettably clear that the council remains static during that 5-year span.

8. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I would love to see what Danni and Tahiri were doing on Zonoma. How did they deal with the caste system?

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Didn't the early parts of the Bug Trilogy imply that Jaina had some adventures with pirate warlords and corrupt corporations in the aftermath of the Vong War? Because that sounds promising.

10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I do think the NJO era has more room to grow, specifically between the NJO books and DNT. This would also give us a non-Sith enemy (maybe criminal organizations/pirates taking advantage of the ruined post war galaxy, rouge Vong refusing to surrender, etc).

Though we got a little taste of it in Legacy, i feel that the repercussions of the Vong War still need to be explored more, as well as the interaction between the Vong and the citizens of the GFFA. I want to see the reconstruction of Coruscant (and the message that certain things can not be fixed, after all we saw in Legacy that there are still mutated areas of Coruscant).

Silas Allender likes this.
  11. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Really? Warlords and pirates and corporations! That sounds amazing! But it would be forever tainted by the memory that Joiner!Jaina was coming up...

I hate Dark Nest. I hate it with a fiery burning passion I don't think is matched by anything except possibly Mara's death.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget the rogue Yuuzhan Vong! Rogue warlords and pirates and corporations would change things. When was the last time we saw an actual pirate? Drea Renthal in the Han Solo trilogy? DNT is terrible except for the action scenes and Episode 3 scenes. All of the YJK's being Joiners sucked especially Raynar and Alema. I liked them in FOTJ and LOTF respectively for some strange reason.

13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I actually liked Raynar in DNT, Alema too. The rest were just awful however.

I think seeing some pirate gangs really would be amazing. The post Vong galaxy was ripe for plundering and ransoming. And I really would like to see the development of the Galactic Alliance, as well as the souring of the relationship between the Jedi and the Alliance. Ben grew up a little during this period and the Jedi Council was firmly reestablished, yet it wasn't a united council strong enough to survive in Luke's absence during DNT. Jacen traveled and lost hist lust for learning, as well as turning into a man who'd one day become a Dark Lord. The other Young Jedi Knights were probably up to something and as they pointed out to Luke had been working actively for 5 years while Jacen was away. There are numerous topics that could be written about during this time.

Silas Allender likes this.
  14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i thought Dark Nest was very well done. Unseen Queen was my least fav though

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I wanted to take a sledgehammer to Raynar and Alema in DNT. No joke. Just reach into the book and grab them and bonk them on the head hard.

16. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    lol well to each his own. I personally was just surprised throughout the trilogy that he was still alive (I truly did not expect to see him again and had completely forgotten about him) and liked something was being done with him. I found him to be very boring throughout his early life. And Alema I always expected to fall since Luke mentioned it in NJO. The Joiner thing threw me off, but besides that I liked her and thought she was even better in LOTF.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I was surprised he came back as well. I was hoping it was Anakin until it was revealed to be Raynar. His attitude really grated on my nerves in DNT. He was boring in YJK but I was really sympathetic to him in FOTJ. Don't ask me why. Speaking of Alema I was shocked when I when the preview for Tempest which said she was alive. I knew in the back of my mind in The Swarm War that she would return someday but didn't want to believe it. Alema going dark wanting revenge in LOTF was perfect.

DarthJenari likes this.
  18. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I agree that it was well done- especially considering the epic but largely disorganized nature of NJO, and the bizarreness that became LotF and FotJ. But I think it will forever be tainted by unpopular plot, no matter how good the execution might have been.

Ha- this is actually my biggest qualm with Denning. I hated (most of) Tatooine Ghost and the Artoo memory parts of DNT. Hated them. I'm not sure if that's just because of my general disdain for the prequels, but they felt so forced. Like Denning just couldn't wait to shoehorn in the OT characters learning about their family's deep dark past. Especially in Tatooine Ghost- Leia has this dramatic moment when she realizes that Anakin grew up as a slave, but it just messes with continuity in the sense that, of course, she had no clue about it in the subsequent years since those books were written before 1999.

Yes! And I think it would be an awesome plot line to follow up on (without Zekk, since imiller has declared him to be a 'tall mass of boredom-inducing stuff :p ... I thought they were supposed to be partners during that time period? Maybe not. Anyway-) if done in a relatively fun way. Think Wraith-like infiltration or something. Jaina at the head of an eclectic but capable team, rooting out the source of warlord conspiracies...
    Or something.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll give you the Tatooine Ghost one even though I really liked that book. But don't Luke and Leia deserve the right to know what happened to their parents? They are 50 and only know Darth Vader and not much about Anakin Skywalker or Padme. I wanted to know their reactions so I was cool with that. I also like the Prequels for the most part except Jar Jar's humor sometimes and Anakin and Padme's love scenes in AOTC. Unfortunately The Joiner King was not really worth the year and 3/4s we had to wait after The Unifying Force.

20. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I do like that they were finally able to learn something about their mother. But the method in which it was done was so weird. Why on earth would Bail Organa not have had Artoo's memory wiped, too (though it is convenient at the end of RotS that he only orders it for Threepio, lol)? And just the odd 'I never wanted you to see these, but for some reason I've saved them, and now that you're so determined I may as well show them to you anyway' thing... yeah, just felt forced. Though I do admire Artoo's orneriness. :p

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well R2 isn't as big a blabbermouth as C-3PO is. R2 has tact and all. I do admit R2 being ornery about the clips was a big turnoff since it's been decades since it happened and Vader and Palpatine were killed 30 ago. R2's known them (Luke and Leia) for how long? 40 years for Luke and 60 for Leia? Wouldn't you know to trust someone after a portion of that time? Maybe R2 knew that they wouldn't take it well what happened to their parents. Maybe Bail did have something done to R2 to make it even harder for anyone to find anything out

22. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, Scourge had some pretty decent underworld types.

Sorry about the Zekk comment - I have to admit that I'm very much a Jaina/Jag shipper, and huge fan of both characters on their own as well, while I never read YJK and found their insertion into NJO sometimes okay, sometimes awkward, but never really compelling.

Which reminds me...I'm not sure how much I could love a Jaina story between NJO and DNT, even without the horrible sick feeling of "she's going to lose her mind in two years" - because that's the period when Denning decided that they break up for no particularly good reason.

But really, if it were done well, a Jaina-as-Rogue-Leader series or even standalone showing how they helped bring the galaxy back to some sort of even keel would be really hopeful. I just don't know how much I could enjoy it...arg, so hard.

23. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    In terms of Luke and Leia finding out about their mother, personally thought it was foreshadowed at the end of...TUF I believe. Wasn't Artoo about to tell Threepio a tale that Threepio apparently didn't remember? I thought it was implied to be the past adventures in the prequel trilogy. Man I wish I had my copy on me right now.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy a Jaina as Rogue Leader type story pre-DNT or pre-LOTF knowing Jacen would court-martial her soon and the losing her mind as a bug thing.

25. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Ha, well I personally have no particular attachment to Zekk- I was just thinking that they were supposed to be partners during that time frame. But I'm mixing it up with the post-Joiner, pre-LotF time period, aren't I?
    Zekk was much more interesting when he was dark. Speaking of dark Zekk, I love in Fury when they're in Lumiya's hideout hunting Alema and he gets all twisted and confused and contemplates secretly killing Jag. Ha. Nothing against Jag (I love Jag, in fact), it's just hilarious.

Though I do enjoy a lot of the Zekk-Jaina-Jag fiasco throughout LotF when Luke makes the three of them work together. Guilty pleasure of the series, I guess.