main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Ahsoka in The Clone Wars thread (general discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Feb 15, 2008.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Oh no doubt! It's basically the equivalent of a recent West Point graduate leading US Naval ship into war.

Captain Rex: "In my book, experience outranks everything."

2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Sorry... I am not a Jedi fan and I believe that normal officers and troopers are the people who win battles not the Jedi. Also in the battle Ahsoka barely had any kills and the only reason she made it back was because the clones covered her.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Rex didn't really back her up at all when she suggested her plan. It was Yularen that got behind her. Both Rex and some nameless clone officer were not afraid to say "Wow... this is a really risky plan. I don't know about that." Makes one think a little about Umbara.

4. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    True, but Rex and Ahsoka are good friends, plus, Rex is no space captain, hes just the one who sits back and watches the show.

5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I dunno about how good of friends. Ahsoka and Rex are. After all the two have not really interacted with each other since "Brain Invaders". I don't think Rex just sits back and watches the show. He was actually trying to rush Ahsoka into giving some orders. - "What are your orders commander?"

6. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    I wouldn't go quite that far. When someone graduates from West Point they're usually in their early 20s, like the average college graduate, and at least they teach military stategy and battle tactics there, unlike at the Jedi Academy typically.

Since I believe I started this discussion I will remind everyone that I was merely comparing Anakin's first mission alone in AotC to the possibility of Ahsoka being alone on the Onderon arc. I'm not sure where the Ryloth arc would fit in with those two, especially since S5 hasn't started yet, but it appears that if Ahsoka is indeed not with her master (yet again) there will probably be clones not far away, which isn't quite the same thing as in AotC IMO.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Makes you wonder if the Jedi have any option as to whether or not they're going to fight. [face_thinking]

Jedi Council: Congratulations Padawan. You're being assigned to a Master. Report to the front lines immediately for assignment.
    13 Year Old Jedi: But... But.... I don't want to fight. I was trained in diplomacy, mediation, and violence only in self defense. I don't know anything about leading troops, and I'm no soldier. I'm too young. I don't want to die.
    Jedi Council: Sucks to be you.

*Meanwhile, Yoda and Mace - the two Jedi strongest in the Force - sit on their butts on Coruscant*

Inblackestnight likes this.
  8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, supposedly they're the two Jedi ultimately in charge of the war - you rarely see the top commanders on the front lines, although in SW "ordinary" generals seem to be leading the charges. Folks like the Chancellor and the top Jedi should be out of harm's way, going by standard wisdom, right?

9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

Standard wisdom: right. Star Wars wisdom: the Jedi-Generals are first into battle, leading the troops. They've got a more medieval commander thing going. And back then you wanted your commanders on the field.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  10. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a strong friendship implied between the two. Due to the rushed nature of most of the show, there's not a lot of time to have them engaging specifically as friends rather than comrades, but there are more than a few moments. Rex stands up for Ahsoka to Tarkin in the Citadel trilogy when he questioned her abilities, and he did the same on her behalf in No Prisoners, when it was Gilad Pellaeon who was uneasy about their dependance on Ahsoka's Force-skills. No Prisoners also shows several quieter moments where the two have time to just talk, and there's definitely a friendly foundation to their relationship.

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Note I did take into account this is SW with generals on the field. But the TOP 2 generals need to plan overall strategy and tactics and I don't think they could do that while fighting in the field.

12. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I understand that explanation and would agree with it using standard reason, but I just think AOTC and the Ryloth trilogy shot the idea down with Mace on the battlefield. And when it comes to the Council as a whole, it doesn't seem like anyone cares that the other 10 ruling members of the Jedi Order get their hands dirty.

That kind of logic may arguably apply to Yoda, since he really hasn't participated on the front lines: In AOTC he was at the rear during the Battle of Geonosis, he didn't participate in the arena battle, he didn't participate in the Battle of Kashyyyk, etc.

But I think Mace hasn't really been treated as any different than the other Council members (other than fewer appearances). Yoda doesn't seem to roll up his sleeves unless he's fighting a Sith.

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, I did forget about the other 10 Council members...although your reference to Mace and Geonosis - well, they didn't expect the droid resistance they found there and it was the first (unexpected) battle so I'll give that a bit of a pass.

14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    How do we know what the Council does or doesn't do when the show is focused on Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka?

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Don't forget Plo Koon (ok, maybe not the last season)...

Personally, I like the amount of Obi-Wan we got the second half, if not always the quality. I agree, especially in the past, there was a bit too much Anakin and especially Ahsoka. Padme - well, she wasn't used well when she was used.

I'd rather good use of the characters when they use them as opposed to sheer amount of use or not use.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Sorry, I see Ahsoka and Rex's friendship as slightly stronger than I have with many of my co-workers (You know, the ones you enjoy talking to at work but you'd never hang out with outside of work). Except in that "You tend to cut folks alot of slack when they have saved your ass a few times." sorta way. I felt like Rex defending Ahsoka was random in the Citadel arc. I have not read any of the novels. They have never gotten enough screentime together for that. They didn't even speak to each other once in the Slaves of the Republic arc. Rex is stoic as ever when Ahsoka was missing in the Padawan Arc and all the way back in "Weapons Factory". We've seen Rex can certainly get pushed out of his stoicism. TCW's episodes and arcs are snap shots into important events in the character's lives. It does not follow the day to day lives of characters. I well understand that TCW expects the viewer to do some math and use their imagination on what happens off screen in the space between snapshots. Ahsoka and Rex just doesn't click that way yet. Not like I see with Fives and Anakin for example who have never gotten more than 5 minutes of screentime and 2 lines together, yet the show does a great job implying their friendship and the kind of admiration Fives has for the man. In some ways its more than they've done with Rex and Anakin. Still that doesn't mean Rex and Ahsoka won't finish the show together though and I would appreciate the chance for them to get some more screen time together.

17. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    You can't have it both ways. Either Jedi are warrior monks who are inexperienced and unqualified at warfare on this scale, or they're not. If we're accepting that part of the Jedi training is an overall education (including war tactics and strategy), then it only makes sense that Ahsoka would have at least the book learning aspect of that.

Obviously, as Rex said, "experience outranks everything." But look at Anakin. He's an amazing Jedi General, but he's only in his early 20s. Some of that has to come from training. I think it is disingenuous to act like Ahsoka is some 15-yr-old, obsessed with Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers and Justin Bieber. Nor is she General Patton. She's a well-trained Padawan, fresh from school, being tossed in the deep end of the war by the bad decisions of an overstretched Jedi Council.

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Re: Anakin.

He's supposedly so good because he's so "attuned to the Force." At least, that's the impression I get from movies, novels, etc.

Spazmatron likes this.
  19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    It's not about Anakin. It's about the whole Order, and whether or not their diplomatic/meditative gobbledygook gives them qualifications for leading armies. I'm just saying we have to be consistent about whether we accept that conceit.

20. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    I was merely commenting on your analogy, but I don't think it has anything to do with having it both ways. The Jedi aren't warrior-anything, they were thrust into military command roles without the proper training. Sure they practice lightsaber skills and have experience as space cops/diplomats but I sincerely doubt that they had any military strategy included in their curriculum beyond historical accounts. The Academy may have included some combat tatics when the war started but before that it was probably quite limited.

Anankin is not an amazing general, just a lucky one with a good Lt. He frequently disobeys orders and makes plans that are much more risky than they need to be, but he his often victorious because he's the hero (currently) and we can't have the protagonist be wrong. Experience is one thing but maturity is entirely different. I would say neither Ahsoka nor Anakin have the maturity to be leading soldiers in a war but at least Anakin has halfway decent leadership skills and the confidence to back them up.

21. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Guys seriously, let's cut the crap we all know that she's a Mary Sue.

1. Coming out of Nowhere, yet somehow important - check
    2. Takes Time away from the Main Characters - check
    3. Incapable of dying forever, even though resurrection is bull@#$% concept for Star Wars - check
    4. A Girl - check
    5. breaks the rules cinstantly, but never gets any crap about it. - that one's subjective
    6. Made on the spot, for this show and this show only. - check

All facts.

Heero_Yuy and Zeta1127 like this.
  22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
  23. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
  24. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    No, actually you're not. At least not regarding the first sentence where you say that we all know...'all' in bold lettering even. I personally don't subscribe to the notion of tropes so consequently I can't really 'know' that she is one. Therefore 'all' of us knowing this is an incorrect statement because at least one of us doesn't. I do respect the opinions of others, of course, it's just not one I share in this instance. In any case, Seerow pointed out the thread for such a discussion and I'm certain your comments would lead to lively debate there.

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Okay, I really don't know what her sex has to do with it.

Valairy Scot likes this.