main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry and a pseudonymous Scotsman

Discussion in 'Literature' started by whateveritis12, May 17, 2010.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Maybe that's a skeletal shipyard-structure like the KDY? Maybe that's something like the Outer Rim Command Center was during the CW? ;)

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Battle of Anaxes? Republic Victory class Star Destroyers vs Confed Bulwark Battlecruisers? Would also be cool to attribute the tractor beam tactic to master strategist Jan Dodonna.

3. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It's a quote from a Stormtrooper, so I assume it's something that happened in the Imperial era. Could still be Separatist battlecruisers, of course, or a third party, but I'd like it to be yet another threat from within. The Empire's been getting more of those recently. :cool:

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Of course, naval terminology isn't even exact in universe, especially from the point of view of an infantryman. Plus, you know how personal accounts are - he is probably exaggerating the hell out of everything. His buddy's cousin's roommate accidentally tore a poorly attached turret off a modified pirate freighter, then everyone plays a game of comlinks and you get stories about ships armed only with tractor beams.

5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    The stormtrooper could have always come from a planet that orbited very close to its star, so his perception of a day might be a little different, though I sure don't hope so

6. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    You also have the Kaloth-class "battlecruisers" that were staples of pirate, merc, and slaver bands during that timeframe. I could easily see one of those old wrecks taking damage from ISD tractor beams.

7. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Which is precisely why I don't want it to be a "battlecruiser" of that kind. The way the trooper described it seemed to imply a more epic event, like the final stage of a huge, grueling battle. The space age equivalent of "quartering".

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Like the three-day battle with the Eyttyrmin Pirates that heavily damaged two VicStars? I would imagine that there would've been a few Kaloth-style battlecruisers there...

9. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    That would be awesome, like Achilles dragging Hector's body around Troy

10. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    The stormtrooper was just using a little hyperbole. After all, TFU does have a habit of being a little over the top :p

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's not like no one's ever exaggerated in conversation to get a point across. When I say, "Jeez, that lecture took twelve hours," it's not meant literally.

12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yikes. I thought after EGTW came out, we wouldn't be so quick to shut down new ideas? :p

13. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I thought the citizens of the star wars galaxy never greatly over exaggerated things to get their point across, especially General Dodonna and Han Solo ;)

14. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    No! No one in the entire recorded history of Star Wars canon ever lies, exaggerates, prevaricates, distorts, fabricates, equivocates, misrepresents, deceives, misleads, garbles, or misspeaks! Everything is completely true and factual and cannot be contradicted, even when it contradicts itself! Just like the Bible!

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I was thinking about the Guide to Warfare and its overview of the various Oversectors, and how Grand Moff Wilkadon from Tatooine Ghost (and how he governs Askaj) would seem to conflict with Kaine controlling Oversector Outer. It strikes me that Wilkadon could be Kaine's official replacement of Oversector Outer ruler after Kaine defects - it seems like it would fit into Isard's MO to appoint a replacement loyal to her to try and divide Kaine's large holdings. This could also work if Askaj was supposed to be in Zsinj's oversector, as I don't remember its exact placement.

Also on the topic of Kaine, the EGTW says that Kaine created the Pentastar Alignment immediately after Endor, right? I thought it was supposed to be a few years later?

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Askaj is in Cegul Sector, which in Rimward from Eriadu - nowhere near Zsinj's territory. It's been established that Grand Moff territories can overlap, especially in the case of the Outer Rim Territories Oversector.

The original article from the SWAJ didn't give a specific date for the establishment of the Pentastar Alignment, but the Essential Atlas indicated it was established some time within the first three years after Endor. What Kaine did immediately was to relocate the HQ for Oversector Outer to Entralla; the EGTW states that sometime in the 1st year post-Endor he created the Pentastar Alignment.

17. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    The only thing that might hint at a specific date for the founding of the Pentastar Alignment could be from this part of the article on page 130-131:

Notes from Conciliatory Meeting aboard flagship Reaper:
    7^7373h-8^GHS
    In attendance: Imperial Governor Ib Dekeet, Commerce Master Commissioner Gregor Raquoran, Dynamic Automata Corporate Head Etta Besk, Galentro Heavy Works Representative Wyrn Otro, Grand Moff Ardus Kaine.
    Continued from 7^7340a-2^WED

18. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Mostly, I'm just grouchy this thread still doesn't namecheck me in its title. :p

Cav, you get a Kriffing Aurodium Wookiee™. :D

Maybe an Aluminium Falcon, too. ;)

Does anyone have that exact Radio Drama quote, to save me having to make an effort to find it?

-- The Imperial Ewok

cavalier_one likes this.
  19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    From page 86 of the printed version of the Jedi radio drama:

VADER: What is thy bidding, my master?
    EMPEROR: Send our sector starfleet to the far side of Endor. There it will stay until called for.

That's pretty much it. :)

20. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Pseodonymous Scotsman? That should probably be my tagline in some way.... :D :p

Well, "the Emperor's personal fleet" = "our sector starfleet" = "the Imperial Fleet"...? It seems to fit....

Mainly to illiustrate Abel's Law (that Star Wars continuity eventually fits together like someone designed it to) I'll throw out an idea...

Just as certain Grand Moffs can deploy assets over the head of certain ordinary Moffs...

... perhaps everything that needs to be deployed over the head of the entire sector organization might be assigned to a sort of "übersector" under Palpatine's direct authority...?

This would be a flexible roster, but at any given moment, it would include some sort of Core reserve, plus the ships forming Death Squadron under Vader's authority, plus the Grand Admirals' flagships. Or, in other words, the stuff that's brought together at Endor?

Someone's right that Vader would want a powerbase of his own, but Palpatine would want to deny him full autonomy - hence, maybe, a fuzzy division between "Death Squadron" and "our sector starfleet", and a factional division within the "übersector group" officers between Palpatinists and Vaderists. One of the darkest twists would be that the Ozzells and Pellaeons, faced with Vader's contempt and savagely, would bounce into being fiercely, misguidedly pro-Palpatine...

And, if Vader's powerbase is technically just stuff Palpatine lets him play with as his second-in-command, the übersector might also include random stuff like, say... Fondor?

- The Imperial Ewok

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not sure I followed any of that, McEwok. :p

22. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    *sigh*

Okay. You have sectors, with their sector groups, which are supposed to have very tightly-delineated deployment zones that stuff can't move in or out of without the authorization of very shiny, very important Moffship-class code-cylinders.

But then you have Oversectors, with their Oversector Groups, which consist of ships and stuff that can be thrown into anywhere within a far larger regional zone, in complete disregard of all those normal rules. You slam in an ImpStar, run over the regulations, and leave the paperwork spinning in your wake. :D

Then you have the stuff that Palpatine and Vader can throw into over the heads of absolutely anyone on a Galactic scale, tearing up the Grand Moff rulebook in the same way that the Grand Moffs tear up the Quotidien Moff rulebook. And this stuff consists of Death Squadron, the Grand Admiral's command ships, and probably some prestigeous reserve taskforces in the Core. All of which, perhaps not coincidentally, is what we find at Endor (except for the bits that got humiliated at Airam, obviously :p).

I'm suggesting that all this is organized as a sort of "übersector group", corresponding to "the Imperial Fleet", "the Emperor's personal fleet", "our sector starfleet", and perhaps AZHAMCOM....

Thoughts?

-- The Imperial Ewok

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree with you up until your last suggestion: I agree that they have to be organized in some fashion, but I don't know if it's I. a single group or II. organized along sectoral lines at all. Instead, I propose the following example: sector groups are akin to Roman legions (legions aren't localized, but bear with me), and oversectors are akin to provinces with multiple legions at their command. The Emperor's personal fleet, then, is the Praetorian Guard: completely independent and at the Emperor's disposal, but not connected with any sort of regionalized structure.

RC-1991 likes this.
  24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Sounds akin to the idea I was throwing around a little while back about Death Squadron being under the Emperor's (or his represenative's) direct control - makes sense that there are other forces - like the Deep Core Reserve - that would also be within the "Emperor's fleet" - that eventually became his main attack force following the Imperial Civil War.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I like the idea of the Death Squadron being Palpatine's personal fleet (ala his naval Praetorian Guard, as Jello mentioned), though having it expanded to include more than five or six premanent ISD's would be nice (twelve seems like a nice number). As for the various battlecruisers and Tector-class Star Destroyers, I like the idea of those being elite units pulled from various Core sector fleets to have the "honor" of taking part in the destruction of the Rebellion. The Grand Admiral's various flagships are easy enough to explain, as they simply traveled on them to the Endor system and then decided to have those vessels join the Endor armada.

--Adm. Nick

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.