main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The camera and framing of the Saga all gos from left to right!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I was just watching the end of ROTS and I AM SHOCKED at what I just noticed!

The whole entire Saga (as specially the PT) goes from left to right! Everything guys! Everything about the framing of basically every important scene and witch direction the camera is pointing revolves around this theme of Going from the left (the PT) and progressing towards the right. I dont know how many of you were ever aware of this but its amazing and almost creepy when you first realize it because then you start seeing it EVERYWHERE.

Watch ROTS from chapter 38 (beginning of the duel) to the end to quickly understand what Im talking about and your entire view of the saga will change!

Some key point for right now until I can re-watch a few more things:

All in ROTS from chapter 38 onward:

1.You will notice the framing of the camera on Anakin and Obi-wan circling each other
    2.You will notice anakin looking back (to the left) with obi-wan standing on the right side
    3.you will notice anakin battling obi-wan towards the left, threw the hallway bringing him towards his new hell
    4.They fall with the platform DOWN into "hell"
    5.They lava is flowing to FROM LEFT TO RIGHT
    6.Obi-wan sees the next "fall" this is symbolizing the sagas decent into a period of hell (the empire era)
    7.anakin created this hell and it is his hell so he must go to the right and down with the rest of the saga "off the cliff"

What happens next is a very clever visual metaphor for Darth Vader

8.Anakin fights the natural current with the help of technology (the droid he jumps on) and corruption of the force.
    9.when anakin is burned he is reaching to the left and up at obi-wan walking away (towards the empire era)

From this point on EVERYTHING keeps up this theme of left to right. Every direction the camera points or angles towards and EVERY direction people walk in! It is unbelievably consistent!

The best part of this is that when vader rises on the platform THAT is the exact point of "the middle" of the Saga. and so from that point on everyone gos from looking towards the left of the screen (forward) to now looking back (towards the right). This is because they have now "passed through the middle" and can go into the OT, empire era. What they are looking back on is "the middle point" they just passed through.

Another thing I noticed is that ANY time the camera ever breaks this pattern by pointing to, or going towards the left it is at a circle! For example when vader and tarken and palpatine are looking back on the left the death star is in frame. Earlier in the film when general grevious returns to the sep base it is from right back to left but only because his destination is a circle (the droid control ship core). Which is inside of ANOTHER CIRCLE, the big sinkhole it takes place in on a planet which is round revolving in a solar system which is round in a galaxy...which is round. Circles and going from left to right are a big CONSTANT and VERY CONSISTENT theme running throughout the saga.

This still keeps going in the OT all over the place as well. ANH begins with leia's rebel ship "running" ;) towards the republic trilogy (going from the right of the screen to the left). Symbolizing (if you didnt get it by now) how the rebels and leia are fighting for a time that has passed. The only way to go is forward towards ROTJ but not before being battled from Left towards right by Darth vader again in TESB on that cloud city platform where luke will have to FALL down (again, another decent for the saga) towards what is a big circle!

1.) ROTJ starts by going towards the last circle (the death star)!
    2.) Vader gets off the shuttle walking towards the right!
    3.) 3PO and R2 are walking towards the right to jabbas palace!

George Lucas describes boba fett as "the ferryman" who takes han on his journey towards enlightenment and this whole scene takes place with everyone facing from right to left And boba flying away to towards the right of the screen (towards ROTJ).

Did I mention in AOTC when they have their first kiss they are looking out towards the left over a lake almost as if we keep moving, constantly moving in a journey through the terrain of the saga through the republic into the empire crossing these lakes and desserts and space and places. The desert 3PO crosses is him walking from right to left. When han and the gang get out of hyperspace and see the death star they are going from right to left. It gos on and on!

and this just keeps going and going with every scene until the end of the Saga which I think is The shot of the force ghosts, where we are all heading, death. For jedi is is enlightened, peaceful death in "the nether world" of "the force".

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

=D==D==D=

@};-

Please discuss this guys, I cant be the only one that picked up on this but I know a lot of people haven't. This is literally everywhere in every single scene of every movie and it is almost creepy how perfectly it is done. Im am still in shock......

PS: You are now aware that you feel kinda like Jim Carry in that movie the number 23[face_nail_biting][face_rofl]

2. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    In the boba fett part I meant "everyone standing on the left facing towards the right" this has all gotten me a little dizzy lol [face_rofl]

I also meant "from left to right" about 3PO crossing the dune sea in ANH as well.

This theme has existed since long before the PT in the OT in every single scene. I think this is something George Lucas has always done with Star Wars and it is amazing. I am putting on ANH now, will report back latter.....

3. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Something else I just noticed/realized! When padme gos to see anakin in ROTS her ship is literally an arrow pointing towards the right of the screen!

Now just think of how meaningful her lines to the caption are like when he says "let me come with you" her: "this is something i must do by myself besides 3PO will look after me"

This is symbolic of her journey through the rest of the saga she must take, her jurny through hell. And This can mean even after her death, like the journey the viewer must take through the "empire era". Hell is not only symbolized by fire but also cold (!) LIKE HOTH! now think of the shot where luke looks out (back) on the cold terrain (of the empire era/hell) get it? And then he gets dragged away deeper towards the right of the screen by the wampa. The AT-ATs attack coming from the right and the rebels snow speeders fly at them from left towards right!

Its amazing! It makes it really like a journey through this saga. A LOT like dantes inferno. In that we are taking a journey passing through these thresholds into this darkness and back out into the light again.

We go from the land of green plains (naboo) and travel through the land of fire and into the cold plains of the empire.

=D=

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Your avatar is going from right to left.......

Coric likes this.
  5. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

Yes because anakin is running backwards "trying to stop the suns from setting" (!) trying to save his mother. In the shot when he jumps down towards the tusken village (which is to the left) there are another 3 circles (the moons) in frame. The scene ends with him coming back out towards the right cutting the tuskens head off. He returns back to the homestead driving the swoop bike towards the right from the left.

It also follows the rule of a circle (or circles) being in frame any time the camera breaks the "left towards right" rule by going backward which would be towards the left as forward (in SW) means going towards the right.

I dare you (or anyone) to try to find any instance of the camera/framing breaking this rule.

Now you will really start to see what I mean.

6. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    ATATs marching right to left, X-wings in ANH flying right to left, several shots of the speeder bike chase in ROTJ, Jabba's sail barge flying right to left, Ewok flying speeder bike right to left, Star Destroyers flying right to left out of asteroid field, flying right to left against Hoth.....

7. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
  8. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    1.)Did you read my original posts? I specifically addressed the AT-ATs marching right to left. They are marching AT the rebels which must persevere "through" them with shots like the snow speeders flying in waves from the left to the right towards the ATATs. When the ion cannon helps the rebels escape they are flying past the star destroyer towards the right.

2.)The X-wings in ANH flew back towards the Death Star (a circle) and when they won the battle the rebels now progressed back towards the base which was to the Right of the screen with shots showing them do this.

3.) The whole speeder bike chase starts off and finishes with them flying towards the right. And it mirrors the same exact scenario in ROTS when luke does the exact trick of pulling back to shoot the troopers that the troopers in ROTS did to the jedi they were chasing and flying towards the same direction towards the right of the screen.

4.) Jabbas sail barge is flying towards the sarlac pit which is a circle. After Luke speaks with yoda and ghost obi-wan he returns to the rebel fleet to the right (the direction that the falcon went in the shot of the falcon and lukes x-wing leaving tatooine) and in all the shots in the film the rebel fleet is flying from the left towards the right until they get to the next circle. The deathstar. Then the trap, then they fight and when the rebels win they fly out of the death star towards Endor and the rest of the fleet TOWARDS THE RIGHT. We are now past the empire era and back in green land like naboo was green symbolizing nature. The forest of endor is the new green land.

5.) The ewok was flying back (which would be left) to lead the troopers away from the rebels on the right, where the ewok returns to once the troopers are diverted. He brought them "back" so the rebels can keep moving "forward" to the right.

6.) The star destroyers flew out of the asteroid field to communicate with the emperor and return to the asteroid field to look for the falcon. When they heir boba fett he continues where they left off and chases the falcon from left to right towards cloud city where the Empire was waiting for them.

7.)Hoth and also the moons that are in that frame are all circles. When luke leaves Yoda to go help his friends he flys towards the right.

9. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah, your arguments and justifications sure are circular aren't they?

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Really man? Your going to do this to me? Why deny it? Just think about it for a few min. Just watch a few min of ROTS like I said or ANY one of the films and you will see this is a simple undeniable theme that Lucas intentionally does. Im not saying he is a brilliant genius for making sure the camera/characters always progress from right to left in key ways. Im saying that is part of his style. Its part of his format for the films. It is common fact that he is (and describes himself as) a visual filmmaker. This is something that is undeniable.

What is the very first shot of the saga? The republic ship flying in from the Left towards the right to travel through "the republic". Its simply just the way this Saga is framed. With our heros/main characters going from left traveling throughout the saga towards the right which ends on the force ghosts once you travel past the republic and past the empire towards endor. Its like a journey.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    You are stating a theory as objective fact. The very first scene in Star wars is the Tantive IV flying away from an ISD going RIGHT TO LEFT, followed immediately by another shot of it flying RIGHT TO LEFT. But according to your "irrefutable fact", that's just a circle, so they're totally going left to right guyz.

12. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Its not "my" fact it is a fact. It is George Lucas's fact that he created.

I have went over the ANH one. ANH begins with leia's rebel blockade runner "running" or trying to run what would be back towards the republic trilogy symbolizing how the rebels and leia are fighting for a time that has passed. The only way to go is forward towards ROTJ. 3PO travels the desert from left to right and the jawa sandcrawler takes the droids From the left to the right towards the homestead and luke. When Luke begins his jurny with obi-wan and leaves tattooine the falcon flys out towards the right. Where they will run into the death star and when they escape the death star they are flying towards the right to the rebel base. When Luke, han and chewbaca walk to get their medals at the end they walk from left to right mirroring the same type of ceremony from TPM at the end of that Episode which had the parade moving from left to right across the screen.

This whole theme of mirroring and symbolism that gos on in the saga is an established and accepted fact that many users on here have been aware of as common knowledge for years.

Look through this thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/visual-links.50003768/

Just scroll down and look through all the screens and you will see that George Lucas's Star Wars Saga isn't so bad.

13. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Teaches me to leave the TV forum. "I am right and anything you say to dispute my claims is objectively wrong, end subject" seems to be your response.

14. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    No personal attacks. Goodbye.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    This thread is going nowhere fast besides personal sniping. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.