main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Are Sports Becoming Too Time Consuming

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 22, 2012.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    After seeing games that go on for 3 plus hours for practically all of the major US sports, has it become a time where the games that we either watch on TV or go see in person have become too time consuming?

Consider these average times for sports games and races:

Major League Baseball Average time: Just below 3 hours. Can be more if the game goes into extra innings which will last until one team is ahead of the other after an inning is complete (At least 30 minutes on average).

College Football game time: 3 hours including halftime. Can be more if it goes into overtime where each team gets a possession and this continues until the game is no longer tied. (30 minutes on average).

NFL Football game time: 3 hours including halftime. Can be more if it goes into overtime where each team gets one possession and this can continue up to 15 minutes or when one team cannot score to equal the other team. (10 minutes on average).

Soccer game time: Less than 2 hours including halftime. Can be more if a tie (30 minutes of extra time).

NBA Basketball game: About 2 hours and 30 minutes. Can be more if a game goes into overtime of additional 12 minute quarter. (About 20 minutes with commercial breaks).

College Basketball game: About 2 hours. Can be more if a game goes into overtime of 5 minutes. (About 10 minutes with commercial breaks).

NHL Hockey game: About 2 hours and 30 minutes. Can be more if a tie game where each team selects 5 players to do a shootout until one team cannot tie score. (About 10 minutes).

NASCAR Racing: About 3 to 4 hours depending on length of the race (which can be up to 600 miles for the Coca-Cola 600).

Indy CAR Racing: About 2 to 3 hours depending on length of the race (Indy 500 is 500 miles).

Formula 1 Racing: Cannot exceed 2 hours, if this interval is reached the race will be ended at the end of that lap. (All Grand Prix races are 305 kilometers except for Monaco Grand Prix which is 260.5 km.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    only if you have something better to do.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I only really follow NFL football, so *shrugs*

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Test Cricket, 5 days

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I think this is interesting, but I rarely just sit down and do nothing but watch sports. So I've had the tv on today with various college football games on, but in that time I cleaned, played on facebook, played with the kiddos, made deviled eggs, cleaned again, etc.

I like having the background noise. How many of us just sit down and fully concentrate on a game?

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    If I actually have enough time to invest in a ball game I know I am gonna be there for 3 or so hours. I don't really mind since game day is usually a bonding experience with my kid or we have friends over to hangout.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah the social aspect is what I forgot to include in my post. I don't think it is a waste of time to spend 3 hours with friends watching your favorite team.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If I'm watching a Dodger game, sometimes I'll be surfing around my BlackBerry or laptop throughout due to the nature of baseball... you can do these things without missing anything. However, I never do that during a Laker game as the game is actually being played (only at commercials/halftime)... for those games, my attention is 100% focused on the game.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    How many minutes is the ball in play in the average American Football game?

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    60 minutes or four 15 minute quarters. Plus 20 minutes for half time to rest up.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The official game clock of football is 1 hour. Of course, the clock stops on incomplete passes, plays that end up out of bounds, scoring plays, and (in college football only) briefly on first downs to move the chains. So a 15-minute quarter can easily last 30-40 minutes.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    You may have misunderstood my question, the both of you.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Are you asking how long an average play lasts? Probably no more than 10 seconds, the majority less than 5 seconds. The rest of the time is setting up the spot of the ball and the offensive and defensive lines.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    No, I wasn't asking that either. Total time in play in a match.

16. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I do.

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    In my head a sport that takes it's time is a confident sport. Confident in it's rules and support. Doesn't truncate for fear of becoming unpopular.

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    60 minutes maximum, in practice probably closer to 30 (taking into account game clock running down after run plays and complete passes).

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I read somewhere that there was like 10-15 minutes of action in a typical football game.

20. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    The fact that it takes three hours to complete a 60 minute football game (or basketball or baseball) is one of the reasons I can't stand the sports.

The only sport I really watch is soccer, and the occasional hockey and rugby game. My solution is to DVR the game then start watching it roughly 20-30 minutes after the start time. I then skip through the half time report and watch the econd half live. A 90 minute soccer game then takes 90 minutes to watch.

21. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Lengths isnt necessary an indicator of game play quality. I love watching test cricket, and that after all goes a couple of days. I also prefer it to 20/20 cricket.
    Rugby(union) is also a great watch with is 80 give or take some minutes., but I also like watching snooker, which can be very varied in time as well.
    I am not such a fan of Tennis though, no matter what time it takes.
    I do like watching the occasional Handball game of the good teams and it only takes 60 minutes which is fair enough.
    I haven't watched a full gridiron game as I have no interest in that sport, but I have heard that it has a lot of interruptions which make it last long. I am not into too many interruptions that break up game play . (btw marketeers always say 20/20 cricket is like made for the US market, but then I thnk it is actually shorter than a Baseball match even. I wish they put as much effort into cricket in more European associates as they do in the US market but I guess they are going to be delusional for years.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Anywhere from 2 - 3 hours. But unlike with baseball, there's so much action you rarely notice the length of time watching it on TV.

23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    No. The ball is not in play for 2-3 hours. Yes, it takes three hours to play the game, but most of that is huddles, pre-snap, dead ball, and (mostly) commercial breaks.

A long NFL game will have what? 125 snaps played in total? How long is the action on each play? Maybe 8 seconds? That comes out to 16-17 minutes of actual action.

Not saying things like pre-snap reads and huddles, and measurements, and the such don't matter - because they do - but those are not moments of action during the game.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    DarthTunick likes this.
  25. cipe

cipe Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    That's pretty hardcore.