main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthCuticle

DarthCuticle Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2012
    I am sorry to see the Sooners go down to K-State. I like the K-State personnel, but much like Oklahoma State last year, those programs that are new to the limelight* always seem to choke in the breakout season. The Big 12 seems to always have an undefeated team that can't go on to win the big one.

I also keep thinking that with all the so-called upsets in the early weeks, I really wish the ranking system would change. The Coaches Poll needs to just end. I think the opening season polls would be better if it was either the same as the end of season polls or it's based on the strength of schedule. While some SEC teams might get an artificial boost from these things, it would more accurately balance out.

* Oklahoma State hasn't been in the limelight for a while

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, the rush game really fell apart, and I'm not sure why. It wasn't going to Franklin much, and he wasn't doing much (although that's not a surprise with him). However, I also think Oregon State may be getting a bit underrated. They were top 3 in the conference from like 2006-2009 and that gets forgotten, I think. They weren't noticed much at the time, either, I don't think, and they're overshadowed by Oregon.

You forget, Oregon isn't in the SEC. I think LSU will stay put.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Did Notre Dame just win a game via defense? How much would that bet have paid out in Vegas?

I guess we can take "Big Game" Bob Stoops off the list of sacrificial lambs for the SEC in January. FSU remains alive for that, however.

Darthkat76 likes this.
  4. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I seriously almost had a dadgum heart attack during the FSU/Clemson game last night. They finally got their crap together there at the end but I feel as though they...underestimated Clemson there at the beginning. SMH.

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Juliet316 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good points- those glory days were the Rodgers brothers run, I believe? And I think they even beat Oregon in Eugene one of those years, while Mike Belotti was still coach.

Always been a fan of Mike Riley and how he operates his program. Even though that seat is still red-hot after last year, I think he's got a defense to really compete in a top-heavy conference this year. Six winnable games before he hits Stanford (and no USC), assuming Arizona doesn't come out playing like world-beaters next week after getting humiliated last night. I think 8-9 wins and a top-15 finish is certainly a possibility.

I won't pretend to have watched a ton of UCLA football over the years, but I did see them at various points over the past few years, and yesterday was the best I've seen them play, even though apparently it was far below the standard they set against Nebraska. They can go let off some steam against Colorado next week, at least.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Boom.

8. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    To be honest, I think FSU should've jumped LSU as well.

The SEC East is looking like an interesting race with UGA, SCar, and Florida all 4-0. UGA looks to have the easiest schedule as they play Scar and neutral vs UF, while SCar has it toughest playing @LSU, vs UGA, and @UF (and UF has a home vs LSU).

9. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Believe me, I'm happy to be wrong here

10. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Go Irish!

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yup, two weeks in a row. If we could get the quarterback sorted out, we might even have a chance against good, rather than overrated, teams.

Indeed!

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Just watched the 5.5 minute long highlight video, if you take out the Denard Robinson INTs, I think it only lasts about 10 seconds.

In a way it worries me a bit -- seemed like UM got deep into ND territory several times, only for Robinson to throw the ballinto a pack of ND defenders time and again. Does that even qualify as good defending?

Nevertheless, Manti Te'o has been brilliant two weeks in a row, incredibly happy for him after what he's been through.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I didn't get to watch the ND-UM game ... but ...

Did Denard really throw INTs on four consecutive passes? And, if so, is that a record? At any level?

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If Tommy Maddox didn't do it, then it's got to be.

15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    No idea if it's a record, but yes, he did.

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Not sure if we discussed this here or in the conference realignment thread, but with ND's move to the ACC, 5 football games will be against ACC teams even though we're not joining the conference. ND was very quick to state that the two games per year against west coast opponents (USC and Stanford) were a priority, meaning series with Big 10 teams were in jeopardy.

Well, apparently the games with UM are the first victim, ND exercised its 3-game-notice option, menain the game in 2014 will be the last between the two teams for quite a while. I'm rather bummed, ND-UM was the most consistent rivalry, almost always competitive. USC tends to be one-sided (currently n USC's favor, before that in ND's for almost a decade), would much rather have dropped MSU or Purdue, neither of which have the same prestige.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah - that sucks. But, hey, every three years you get to play Duke, Doesn't that make up for it?

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Pretty good article by Ivan Maisel. It misses one very big aspect of ND's relationship with the BigTen -- recruiting. One of the big reasons why ND wants to stay independent is that if it joins a conference, it would limit itself recruiting-wise. ND will always be at best second favorite recruiting in any state, behind local state schools. That's always been a primary consideration in deciding whether to join the BigTen.

Given the commitment to playing 5 ACC schools a year, a decision had to be made where else to play with an eye on recruiting. So the choice between west coast and midwest is probably also based o a decision to prioritize recruiting on the west coast rather than the rust belt.

There's a second aspect to playing USC and Stanford that Maisel doesn't quite nail -- ND plays a game on the West Coast every year. That's only half the picture -- it's always the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and offers ND alums a nice road trip possibility for the long holiday weekend. I've actualy been to more ND USC games at the LA Coleseum (2) than at ND(1), one of my college roomates lives in San Diego, rather enjoyable spending Thanksgiving with him and his family. Before Stanford became an annual game, the Thanksgiving weekend in "non at USC years" was Miami, then Hawaii.

19. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Aaaaand, Stanford beaten by UW

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Did not see that coming. Wonder how Washington will do next week up against Oregon.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Isn't this kind of Sark's mojo at UW? One big upset, and a mediocre year the rest of the way, with a decent enough bowl bid.

22. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Did West Va and Baylor already open up the basketball season?

Darth McClain and s65horsey like this.
  23. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    Florida with a gritty win over LSU. Three ways to see it:

1. Florida is "back".
    2. LSU was/is overrated.
    3. The SEC is so awesome and amazing and better than the AFC South.

Me? I just hope it doesn't lead to UF, UGA, and SCar all being 11-1 and another all SEC title game ...

24. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    SCar is looking amazing against Georgia right now. Geesh!

My Aggies are struggling a bit, but I like being able to see the game!

25. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    This x infinity.