main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Thanks I always thought getting a beta was for if you were looking to polish up a story for index submission and not so much for concrit and bouncing ideas around. I think when they restore all the content I might have to find one for my WIP.

2. Thorn058

Jul 28, 2008
    I was just in the LIT forum and had to try really hard to avoid the Karen Traviss thread. No good can come from it.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I go in there just to see how bad it gets. Like driving by a horrible train wreck.

4. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    It's not all that bad, really. One of the tamer discussions I've ever seen on the subject.

5. Thorn058

Jul 28, 2008
    That's because it really hasn't gotten going and the people who like Traviss such as myself have learned that it doesn't matter what you say it won't change the opinions of those who hate her work and dislike her as an author. Two years ago I used to talk till I was blue in the face but it got no where so I stopped and avoided the threads about the Republic Commando series or her other works in the EU.

What is interesting and pertains to the discussion we were having about characterization is how many feel she made Jedi really flawed and her characters not flawed at all as opinion-ed by her detractors. Where I think this is a good example of using a characters flaws to really show character motivation and draw you into the story. I think may of the characters walk that fine line that they were talking about earlier of making a character too flawed.

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't mind exploring a character's flaws. Look at Zuckuss. His biggest flaw is his mental illness and that's a lot of fun to explore in writing!

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I actually have two beta's. One that just corrects my bed spelling and grammar, the other does that, and gives me pointers for the finer details of writing and characterizations. I like being able to turn to either, depending on what I want. It's useful when you write both short vignettes, and 50 k word epics.

I think character hating is more a pro-fic issue. In fanfic, you generally know who hates which character and whether or not the writer writes the character. Most will just avoid the character in general. But if the writer 'hates-on' the character, you can just stop reading (or join in on the fun if you dislike the character as well).

Character flaws and characterization in SW fanfic and profic is a tricky thing and a bad characterization or to little, or too many, character flaws can ruin a story. The worry can consume a writer. When I was plotting and doing characterizations for my first original piece, I started to worry that I had the characterization for my main character wrong. I then promptly stepped back and slapped myself. I sometimes have to say to myself "these are my MY characters, I am their GOD."

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Double post.

New pet peeve: the fact that the new boards hate my Internet.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm gonna add my router to my pet peeve. It's flakier than a croissant.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Mine just hates my laptop, and I honestly don't know why. The router is new and my laptop is only a year old. My old router was much worse though. Plus my internet is SOOO SLOW because I live in the middle of nowhere.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My laptop is old and my router is oldish.

Another pet peeve: Malapropisms. "You've peaked my curiosity!" "I don't understand the rational!"

Lots of people don't understand the rational.

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am so guilty of this. I don't like Callista. I don't think I write Callista out of character, but she is never the hero in my stories. But I don't hide it. Usually in the plot summery I say, "This is just another one of my I HATE CALLISTA stories".

I have also been accused of writing Luke physically out of character. He is more muscular and handsome than Mark Hamill in my stories. He looks like the Luke on the Japanese book covers or like this:
    [​IMG]

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    There's a sig for a fanfic author! :D

Out of sheer curiosity, why? Speaking for myself, I see and then adhere to the physical representation seen on screen. Where I take liberties is with the characterization of such minor characters that are mainly background - Reeft in the JA books, non-speaking members of the Council in the movies. The major characters, well, I "hear" these characters as portrayed by the actors in my head so I can't deviate much - which is good, because I can get the rhythm of their speaking and all that.

To a lesser degree, I can also "get" the written character as originally envisioned if that is somewhat different from the "movie" characterization. Ex.Obi-Wan: in novels he is often a bit more quiet, opinionated, studious than the Ewan Obi-Wan who by ROTS has this twinkle in his eye and is more personable than the book Obi-Wan. All this is minor degrees of difference, I must say, not major.

14. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    [/quote]

At least you try to write her so that she is in-character. I've stopped counting how many LotR-fics I've read in which Boromir was turned into a sexist rapist or Denethor into a wicked child-abuser. Or it can simply be a matter of a particular character always making the all the wrong choices or having all the wrong oppinions etc. so that everything the character says or does reflects negatively on him/her.

I must admit that your Luke is a bit to bulky for my taste. I certainly think that all active Jedi where physically fit, but I imagine their physique to more like that of football (or soccer for you americans) players.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No, I think issues come about when fanfic authors think they are God. In Star Wars, Geoge Lucas is God, you are just borrowing his dolls (unless you mainly write OC's or minor characters, then you can be God).

For my physical characterizations I generally go from the actors if I am writing in or near the movie eras. For later stuff I go by the NJO Japanese book covers. Jedi_Lover: I don't think your ~10 ABY Luke is too, too buff. For that time I would still go by the actors in the movies, and Mark Hamill is a nice size in ESB. But I wouldn't have FOTJ era Luke that buff. Fit, yes, but not buff.

Although these characters ARE Jedi and humans in the GFFA don't age the same as on earth, you do have to take age in consideration when writing a well-known character (*cough* take note profic *cough*).

16. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree, Luke to me seems to have a toned physique, but certainly not too much like a weightlifter or Olympian type.

And Briannakin pointed out something as well. Just wanted to say I agree with that completely.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    There are a couple reasons. First, I think there has been a changing taste in heroes. Today, in Hollywood, I really doubt we would have anybody as skinny as Mark Hamill be cast as the hero/possible love interest (as we believed he was in ANH). If you don't believe how skinny he can be just look at the sex scenes in Black Magic Woman (I remember some disturbing men's blue bikini underwear scene...I think). Second, he did bulk up a bit in ESB, but I would think a guy who is a Jedi would continue to work out throughout his life. If he bulked up during his short time with Yoda, I would think he would be very toned after years of tough Jedi training.

I really don't think that photoshopped pic of him is bulky. I think that is about right for somebody who leads a physical lifestyle. He doesn't need a Thor physique, but I think he definitely would have the muscle structure similar to the type Will Smith had in his action movies.

Briannakin -- well that pic represents that beach scene in my fanfic The Journal of Mark Tantiss...that takes place after Dark Empire and we all know that the darkside has a better gym.:p (Family Guy reference).

18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, but look at Ewan McGregor - he was and is fit and slim. Some very fit folks are just not-bulky. But tastes vary. I like the trim ones, myself, much more than bulky.

19. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I can't even describe the sound I made on seeing that pic of Luke. It was somewhere between a hiss of surprise and a snort of laughter.

The way Jaina's been characterized since the end of NJO has slowly made me stop reading the books. The travesty that has been FotJ made me stop completely. And I hate Troy Denning's constant Kyp-bashing. Kyp isn't a sloppy, slovenly guy. All through the NJO, he was kind of a fashion plate and kept his hair styled (Black and curly, btw! Has been since JAT!) and then Denning has him sloppy, unshaved, with grey-streaked brown hair. Um. Since when? Grr.

. . . Sorry, really sore point with me.

I don't like Jag Fel, but other than a couple crackfics, I try to treat the character decently. It bugs the heck out of me when even the pros can't let a bias go.

20. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I do. Eek.

I dunno, I fell in love with Luke because of his character, not that he was hot. I mean, yeah, I think he's super hot, but the way he is in the movies. *shrug*

21. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    This is probably my biggest peeve. I think it's inexcusable in profic, and it really irks me in fanfic. To me, if it's obvious the author doesn't like the character, that's an excellent indication they are writing that character OOC. If you can't write the character in character, don't use that character. An author choosing to write a story just to drag a particular character through the mud, really , really annoys me. I have a rule that if I strongly dislike the character, I generally don't include them in the story in any significant capacity. I'm currently writing a story that really needs a character I don't like to play a significant role. I plan to get a beta reader to check specifically that I'm doing that character justice.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I fell in love with Movie Luke for that reason also. Movie Luke wasn't the romantic lead...so I could concentrate on his personality and character and it didn't matter what he looked like that much...but I have to admit he looked good in ESB.

But Fanfic Luke is often described in a fangirl idealistic way that I have come to prefer when reading romance. In romance fanfic they describe him as tone, fit, muscular, sexy no matter if he is 30 or if he is 63. I have never read a fanfic that says Luke was getting these cute little love handles, or described how when he hit 63 years of age his back started to get hairy. Maybe he got a little gut from drinking all those hot chocolates over the years, or maybe he has a receding hairline. No, we don't get a man who ages the way a majority of men on earth do. He is always described as in shape no matter what age. That is what L/M 'shippers want to read. Hell, if I want to visualize a typical middle age man, I can look in my bedroom where I will probably find my middle-age-man playing video games or watching HBO...although was doing something with a reciprocating saw in there this morning.o_O

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I actually wrote a songfic where Luke was 103-years old and not so good looking... at least to the young OC's point of view. It was called "Still Lives in My Heart".

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    New pet peeve: when plot bunnies start nomming on my brain because of something said in the pet peeve thread ;)

It does annoy me a bit how unrealistic people age in the GFFA in both profic and fanfic. I'm waiting for the day that Han mentions his knee replacement :p But this is excape fiction, what do you expect?

I must add, I think Luke's personality is what makes him so attractive to me. Not that I don't drool over the swamp scenes in ESB.

25. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    The aging thing is definitely an issue with non-Force users, but I've yet to see an example of a "decrepit" Jedi in the movies. Just look at Dooku, basic math says he must've been about 86 at the Battle of Geonosis. Yet he kicked Obi-Wan and Anakin's butts, and it seems like he only stopped because he had the pants beat off him by--Yoda, who was roughly eight hundred years older than him. :p