main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison #5 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    And more betrayal.

2. Lando Carmello

Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    He is no Vader so people would want to see more tension.

Agreed.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    So once we know that somebody will eventually die, there should be no more stories told about them ever?

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I foresee a future of adventures featuring just Waru and Abeloth.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also Palpatine the Undying.

6. Lando Carmello

Sep 22, 2012
    Depends on how important are they. Trachta had much more spotlight then characters like him usually get.

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Oohhhhffff. I'm still doubled over in agony from the ending...

The ability of a story to have that kind of emotional effect is a gauge of its quality, though.

Trachta deserves more page time, but then, so did someone else who won't get any more. :(

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So here's a question: do we want another Haden Blackman "Darth Vader and" story next year? Does this story completely forgive Lost Command, or are these "Look everybody! Darth Vader!!" stories still on shaky ground with us?

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    This makes up for Lost Command. And TFU.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So, yes, you want more? :p

11. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I want more and more and more and more until he can write no more. And then I want more.

12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    If he can maintain this kind of quality, characterization, and tight plotting, then I'm all for more of it. This is the Blackman of Open Seasons, as opposed to TFU. Also, keep that illustrator at all costs.

13. Lando Carmello

Sep 22, 2012
    I want Kiro!!!!!!

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If this is a sign he has truly repented of his sins, then I am even ready for a third TFU.

If he could deliver a conclusion on par with Ghost Prison, then he could redeem that pitiful excuse for an apprentice with one swift strike of the Dark Lord's blade.

TFU3: Vader's Revenge, the all Darth Vader game that we should have had in the first place.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I say get out while you're on top. Besides, they only publish so many comics. I'd rather have a slot opened up for something fresh rather than just "Vader does another thing, because Vader" every year.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Personally, as long as they treat Vader as Vader, I think "Vader does another thing, because Vader" is a perfectly acceptable approach. :p

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm inclined to agree with Hav, wanting more from a creative team that's done a great story is good, but sometimes getting more from them isn't!

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Maybe if they get Jeremy to write "Vader reforms the Black Eight, because BoShek."

CooperTFN and Ulicus like this.
  19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    "Darth Vader and the Dark Times", a conclusion to the "Darth Vader and..." series and the final story in the tale of Dass Jennir.

I'd kinda like something like that as a grand finale to both series. (Not that I'm against them just continuing these things ad infinitum until they come up with something equally sustainable.)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Darth Vader and the Ghost Prisoner of Lost Azkaban!

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You mean Darth Vader and the Unleashed Ghost Prisoner of Lost Azkaban.

22. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Vader is himself a legendary figure. Much of the initial appeal of the prequels lay in the idea that we would see a suited Vader exterminating the rogue Jedi, one by one. I actually love Episode III, but this did not happen in the films and was the greatest disappointment of them to me. However, we have since seen it come to pass in the form of things like Ghost Prison, Purge, to some extent in TFU, and the Dark Lord trilogy.

One of the things these stories have done, however, is also show that Vader was more vulnerable than we all expected. Not just on Hayden's part, but in Purge as well. At times, I am absolutely fascinated by this revelation. I actually liked seeing Vader struggle in the first Purge, get unmasked in TFU 1, ect. ect. yet still somehow come out on top and survive. It did make him less of a one note character. On the other hand, it has indeed gone too far. Vader continued to struggle in Lost Command. Ghost prison is now balancing this back out, showing that these times he nearly lost were indeed the exceptions more than the rule. We need more stories showing this legendary figure fighting his deadly but very beatable opponents.

And yes, we need to see how Vader overcomes the insulting end of TFU II, how the rebels can't depose of him that easily, and how the Marek clone may be in for more than he bargained for by becoming Vader's enemy. If Hayden could create either a proper TFU III, or hell, just a novel or comic sorting out this mess, I'd be fully behind it, so long as Vader was back to being the man in charge by the end.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm still convinced (though I may be as delusional as I am biased) Vader threw the fight against Starkiller in TFU so he could gauge his apprentice against the Emperor (as well as the Emperor against his apprentice) without appearing the traitor. It's a calculated risk that also explains why he never really tried especially hard to turn Rhett to the dark side and got him all emotionally entangled with Rebels: he wanted the guy to try to take out Sids, rather than supplant his position.

After that fairly impressive showing, Vader decides that "Yup, this is the guy I need", and gets to work on the Dark Apprentice.

Anyway, I don't think we really need to see Vader physically tested at all, for the most part (especially during the near-ANH timeframe). I'd much rather see Vader struggling to master the political arena, and combating those who seek to undermine his influence with the Emperor, ala Xixor. That's where I think the most opportunity for challenge and adversity lies. In the immediate post-RotS era, especially, Vader is regarded as a "blunt instrument". It would be nice to see the beginnings of how he works on improving himself, in that regard.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah--Vader initially struggling at Court would be fascinating. It wasn't until after Yavin that he became a proper player himself.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

Dark Lady Mara and Ulicus like this.
  25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yup. I mean, of course, Vader demolishing stuff is always going to be fun... but it'd be really cool to see him trying (and, sure, even failing) to navigate situations in which his command of Force and blade were of no real help.

I'd also like to see reference to Firepath. :p