main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series A Thought on the Mortis Malarky

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Heero_Yuy, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    We all know that the Mortis Trilogy is one of TCW's more polarizing bits. What I want to know is, do you thing that the writers will ever revisit this? I'm sure we were promised some sort of follow up and they would be remiss not to do so IMO. I know many here like the ambiguity of the arc, but recent EU works seem to pretty much definitively claim that the Mortis Trio were very real. As such, I think we need to know more.

What are your thoughts?

2. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    The main thing that I want explained is the extent to which the Ones controlled the balance of the Force. Did they actually have to leave Mortis to have an effect on the Force, or was their mere existence enough to sway its balance? I've always wondered this because the Son is constantly trying to escape, telling the Father that he cannot make any change in the universe as long as he is imprisoned in the monolith. However, when the Daughter dies the Father says that her death alone has stifled the light side throughout the galaxy. It seems really contradictory to me and I hope it is touched on in the future.

3. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Adding to that, Father said that with HER death, the force is out of balance and that war will wreak havoc across the galaxy. Um... Isn't that whats supposed to be happening already?!

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think that's all we'll ever see of Mortis.

Sitara likes this.
  5. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    You had better hope so... Idea was good, but the way it played out, well that's another thing...

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Someone here claimed recently that Filoni said that we won't be revisiting Mortis. Though I did not see a source (like if it was said at C6 or not).

Mortis seemed to be destroyed if I recall, and all three of its inhabitants killed. So I wouldn't know how literal to take that anyway. I have no expectation of re-visiting Mortis. I don't know what element of that show could be re-visited again other than Father appearing as a Force ghost or exploring how Anakin perceives the Chosen One prophecy or stuff like that. But mentions of it can be made. And the Father claimed that few still knew of their existence, someone/some people out there know about it. I do seem to recall Dave at one point saying we will be seeing more episodes like Mortis. But to what extent they are like Mortis is anyone's guess. Might be further explorations of the light side and dark side and nature of the Force, minus the super being trio governing it from a non-temporal world.

7. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, im not saying I expect the world or it's trio to be revisited so much as I think the episodes need to be put into some kind of context. I mean, Anakin and co have this earth shattering experience... Yet they never bring it up again. No one does and it seems to be a BLAM in the GFFA until the Ones are shoehorned into the end of FOTJ.

The execution of the Mortis Trilogy wasn't perfect, but it exists and it was an important arc. Something needs to come of it IMHO.

8. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    I really hope this to be true [face_praying]
    I don't see it as all that important. Take Mortis out of the picture and there really isn't anything missing out of the main story. Personally I think things make more sense without Mortis altogether. To each their own though! Apologies if I'm misinterpreting the second line I quoted but Anakin and co don't bring it up again because they don't remember it happening. If by 'they' you mean LFL it's been mentioned in at least two other places outside TCW.

9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    The idea was executed just awfully and then forced into the EU. I'd personally rather we never mentioned it again. I still find it very very hard to believe those beings represented and effected the Force to any degree.

However, I expect to see more mention of them in Luke's time as the Jedi are now looking for the place. So Inblackestnight (like the name by the way) some record of the visit to Mortis did survive till FOTJ for Luke to hear of it. But that's a good point, based on the episode none of the Jedi remembered Mortis at all, yet there was a report of the mission decades later...

Esg and Inblackestnight like this.
  10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not counting out the Mortis revisit even if at this time Filoni is legitimately quoted saying TCW will not be revisiting it. I mean after the Maul thing it seems like anything can happen for better or worse. Filoni once basically said. "You mean bring back the guy who was cut in half?" trolling kids at SWW last year.

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    My only to Mr. Filoni is if the Ones are dead why is there still the force, if the were it?

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    They weren't. The EU might go further into their back story, but from what I understood they were once part of the Galaxy but grew too powerful in the Force so the Father decided to withdraw from the temporal world and go to Mortis. BTW I just love that he can up and leave the temporal world like it's a simple thing. Father pulled a Farnsworth.

[​IMG]

The on Mortis, Qui-Gon states that the planet acts as a conduit for the Force, so I just interpreted it that the Three were so powerful that they could manipulate the Force on the planet which would have repercussions on the Galaxy as they affected the nature of the Force as it moved through the planet. But they themselves were not the Force. Closest that gets said is when Obi-Wan states that the planet is the Force. But even then I think that's more metaphorical in that the Force moves through the planet (e.g. conduit like Qui-Gon states).

13. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    I'll be disappointed if GL never revisits the concepts introduced in Mortis. It was by far my favorite Star Wars story he's ever told. It was like Alejandro Jodorowsky took over the show for three eps! Far out!

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I just noticed that the ship they go into during is the same as the ones in Dawn of the Jedi. Connected?

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  15. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Revan never showed up, Neither Ahsoka or Anakin stayed on the Darkside, and someone was actually resurrected.

And it wasn't like Maul, where the excuse is, "he was never really dead" No they put her freaking soul back into her body. Screw this Arc.

16. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    " I WILL EVEN LEARN TO STOP PEOPLE FROM DYING "

"well you just did Anakin, you just revived you're padawan"

a couple years later

" is it possible to learn this power?"

one thing that is kinda iffy about that arc...

Sitara likes this.
  17. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    why would we need more Mortis? Seems like that's the job of the EU now
    No point imo

Spazmatron likes this.
  18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I'd like to see connections, things that Mortis symbolized taking place.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Possibly. We still know very little about the Tho Yor, but I have a feeling the DOTJ writers took some cues from Mortis.

20. GeneralCIS

GeneralCIS Jedi Master star 1

Oct 23, 2012
    Hopefully we will never see Mortis again.

Sitara likes this.
  21. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Wasn't that with the help of the Father? Maybe that part of his memory was 'erased' in the following episode. [face_dunno]

Sitara likes this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm not even sure if they themselves believed what happened.

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    They told Rex it'd explode his head if they tried to explain to him the Mortis dream that just happened.

24. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    I think the new Mortis Tie-In has already happened right under our noses. I explain it here in this thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/darth-maul-conspiracy-theory-mortis-tie-in.50004680/

I was talking about Mortis in yet another thread last night but in short I do not think what the three Anchorites in the Mortis Monolith were doing actually affected the balance of the Force in the rest of the universe. I think the Father's idea of what balance was -- keeping the Son and the Daughter in a perpetual stalemate -- was not the real role of Balance when it came to the Force. The Force was already out of Balance regardless of what was happening inside Mortis. The Force had been known to be out of balance for as long as there was a prophecy of the chosen one. When Mace asks Qui Gon, "you mean the one who will bring balance to the Force" he does not say, "that's ridiculous, the Force IS balanced" no he asks for the boy to be brought to them to be tested so as early as The Phantom Menace the Jedi were aware the Force was out of Balance with the Ones playing their balance game in Mortis for thousands of years before that.

25. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    They were just Manifestations/avatars of the Force. The Father was the Force itself, The daughter was the light side of him, the son was the darkside. It was only about balance. The force must be in balance as i understood and mortisw was a huge super holocron..

Darthgoodguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.