main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I have never thought of writing any other way than into a text file first. My typing is bad enough that it would take endless edits to fix it going straight to post. Plus, I like to use at least one beta and writing straight onto the board would obviously prevent that from happening.

I agree that a plotline can end up twisted in a new way with a few interesting edits. However, I have lost enough stuff on computers in other ways so that I am an obsessive save-after-every-paragraph kind of writer.

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I use google docs. It automatically saves every couple minutes.

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I use my iPhone, it saves every character then I email myself a copy, c&p into OpenOffice before posting here and then on Ff.n. So I have like five copies before it gets published.

Six if I count the iTunes backup copies.

I only dread the day I lose my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I hand-write everything on paper. Most of my fics are in two hard-bound journals. If I lose my electronic copies, I have the hand-written copy. It may not be as polished, but I still have it.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I handwrite some, but it all ends up typed. And I keep semi-regular backups. I have a bazillion story files on my laptop.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I use Word and the spell checker for words. And I use Windows commander to sort my fics and have them filed on various mediums.

7. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I use Word as well, but I like hearing the various methods others use. There are some good ideas to consider. I have handwritten on occasion, but my handwriting has become so illegible that even I can't always read it. I just can't write fast enough to keep up with whatever is spilling out of my head onto the paper. Plus, I have lost my notebooks with fics in them.

On my longer fics, once I think I have them where I want them, I print them and read them on the hard copy. It really helps with feeling the flow of the words and just getting a feel for the look of it. I'll make changes the old fashioned way with a brightly colored pen as I go [ not a red pen, too elementary school teacher-esque, lol] I find it a lot less disruptive while I read over things.

8. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I do write some on paper when I'm on my break at work or when someone else is using the computer at home, but then I transcribe it and usually edit/add things as I transcribe to google doc... which is MS Word compatible. I have a mac, so that's why i use google doc.

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ack! I got a chain letter in a review for one of my stories over at FFN. You know where they say something and then ask you to cut and paste it somewhere or you will get bad luck. That's the first time that happened to me and it's irritating. Luckily I was able to delete it. Why do people do stupid stuff like that?

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    For attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I've never seen that before. Is that a new thing?

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    there are idiots everywhere who will take those danged chain letters seriously. I'd like to put a chain around the necks of those who send them and give a good yank.

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Same. If my friends or family send me anything like that in email, I tell them that if they do it again they end up on my Spam Blocker list permanently.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only handwriting I do for my fics is if I am out somewhere and come up with an idea and need to transcribe it really quickly. Even then I'm moving to using the "Notes" feature on my phone.

I usually type out my fics in Word.

I just pulled up one of my older fics here and the quotation marks had all changed to question marks. Oy. I pulled that fic up because I was considering reposting it if it had not transferred over from the old boards.

15. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I thought I read that those question marks were fixed since a few days ago. I was thinking of pulling up my old fic and doing the same, but now I don't want to even look. I'm still not over the disappearance of my stars yet. That said, I'm happy we have the option of posting new fics with no truncated posts and I am happy to be patient with the rest.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I am just too damned lazy to bother with fixing the formatting of my old fics. I'll just slap the link to them on SWFanon in the topics if I have to. :p

As for chain letters... My cousin falls for those stupid things on Facebook all the time. "Share this or your mom will die!" What, is Facebook holding her for ransom?

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah that doesn't work on me since my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles have all passed away...Stang!!! Maybe I should have shared those chain letters after all.:(

I don't like them. When I was a teen they would creep me out. For some reason I would get a few in the mail (pre-internet way to communicate) and I would throw them away and then worry if some bad luck will befall me or my family. So what I do now is not read them. I am superstitious so I figure once I realize it is a chain letter and I delete it or throw it away without reading about what evil will happen if I don't continue the chain...well that nullifies the curse. No read=No curse. Did I mention I am a bit neurotic?

And I am not going to fix those damn question marks all over the place. When it comes to voting on the Diary Challenge I will give out a link to FFN where it is posted. I doubt anybody is going to read my story just to vote though...it has grown to be a 80K word monstrosity and I'm not done yet.

18. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Just for the record, so you all know, I do actually know what a chain letter is. I just have never heard of on being inserted as a post review before.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If the question marks don't get fixed, I probably will repost my trilogy that I had in mind, but I'm going to wait until the word-limit issue is fixed.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    anakinfansince1983: there is no word limit on NEW posts, so if you want to repost, no problem.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll just edit my stuff and throw in the SWFanon link to it. Done and done. Because I'm lazy. :p

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, it's getting done, especially since the old fics were cut off in addition to having the question marks. :)

23. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Any changes you make will get erased when they re-import the database. Just so you know.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    ACK! Thanks for letting me know that. I can imagine doing all that work and then they re-import the database, everything there I fixed is erased....and the import doesn't work. Oh, that would suck.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Oooh... good point. Then, I'll leave well enough alone.

Wait... would that affect the recent posts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.