main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Obi-Wan using "Emperor" so casually in ROTS?.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mastertang, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastertang

mastertang Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2012
    Were there scenes that would of explained the reason behind him using the name Emperor, being that for the longest time he knew him as Chancellor or Palpatine. Or was it terrible writing on Lucas' part?.

Edit: using in the casual manner I mean.

2. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    If I'm right doesn't he say it before he becomes the emperor or at about the same time ?
    I think it was just put in so the slow people would know, oh that's the emperor from the other movies

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think we can safely assume that he and Yoda are aware of what just happened in the Senate. That and the fact that he just heard Sidious say "Go and bring peace to the Empire" should be reason enough for him to refer to him as Emperor.

...but even if we regard it as a blunder, it is a minor one. Plus, "Send me to kill the Emperor" sounds way cooler than any of the alternatives!

Emperors - they are cool
    /LM

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What's wrong with calling him Emperor? That's what he is.

Really? Now using a name instead of another is an excuse to use the "Lucas is a terrible writer" crap?

BoromirsFan likes this.
  5. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He heard "Empire" from Palpatine, the big bad and also the leader of said Empire. The official title of the leader of the Empire is "Emperor".

Jesus, even as a kid I recognized that. :p

6. mastertang

Sep 19, 2012
    It's not figuring out he was the Emperor that bothers me. It's using the name so casually, it's as if Palpatine's held the title the whole time. Then to say, "Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil" :p.

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Personally, I don't think it's very casual at all. It's a significant, very pointed request made in a significant situation.
    It does seem like he's referring to the hologram he just saw. "Send me to kill the Emperor", as in "Send me to kill Sidious, who, judging by the hologram, seems to be in charge of an Empire".
    To say Chancellor Palpatine in the heat of the moment makes sense, too, since he's used to calling him that.

Habits - they stick
    /LM

8. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It's indeed curious that he says "Emperor" to Yoda, and later reverts back to "Chancellor" with Padmé.... In any case, it's not actually a mistake, and not a case of "terrible writing".

9. mastertang

Sep 19, 2012

Gotta ask yourself if that was the reason for Yoda referring to Palpatine as "Lord Sidious" each time during that scene, so the audience would make that connection as well.

10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Sidious: "Now, Lord Vader, bring peace to the Empire.... which I should probably head the Senate and announce I'm forming soon." [face_shhh]

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Being as the head of the Sith used to use the title 'Emperor' i.e. Vitiate when they last ruled, I imagine Kenobi just went with it.

12. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    "The Republic will be reorganized into the first galactic EMPIRE".

13. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Obi-Wan and Yoda were hanging out with Bail Organa, and he probably saw this coming or at least knew the latest developments of Palpatine's power. Also remember tht Yoda and Obi-Wan were two great Jedi, and could have been picking up on Palpatine's future identity through the Force.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well they were having dinner, and Palps said to Obi-Wan that he is an Emperor now, and you get what I'm saying :p

15. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    They didn't think of the name Sidious or Palpatine at the time ROTJ was being filmed. It came later on.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would've preferred leaving emperor out in that specific scene. Either that or have some line put in to express their surprise/realization that now palpatines title has changed...but I don't view it as being too intrusive to my enjoyment of ROTS.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    What's wrong with kenobi mentioning the emperor? I don't see what the big deal is.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.