main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would you add/subtract to make the Prequels better?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthEmpron, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Again, it's fine to disagree, but I am simply explaining that, for me, the PT's romance was better-handled in that it acknowledged that there were negative elements to the relationship (such as Anakin's intense attachment issues) while still presenting a romance. I don't mind that Han and Leia were antagonistic with each other (although I'm not a fan of slap-slap-kiss, truth be told). No, the issue I had was in Han's refusal to respect Leia. When she tells him to let go, he should. That's the end of it. He doesn't have a right to touch her if she's specifically told him not to. Likewise with the "Let go" regarding her hand and pressing her up against a wall. And you can go ahead and make the claim that "well, she really wanted him to do that" and I still don't buy a word of it. That's absolutely no justification. And the longer I've spent in college, the more I have found this to be true -- talking with female friends who had horribly uncomfortable situations forced on them by guys who were drunk or didn't know the meaning of the word "no." So no, I don't like the portrayal of Han and Leia's relationship in ESB.

Oh, and the much-touted "I know" -- I don't much appreciate that either. I actually prefer Lucas' original version where Han tells Leia "I love you too." It comes across as incredibly egocentric of him to say that. Don't Leia's feelings matter? You don't think that if he were to die, she would have liked to know that he loved her too? Try pulling that line on someone and see if it turns out all that well. I would never respond to anyone that I love in such a manner (especially in such dire circumstances) because I can recognize that it's not all about me.

To be fair, though, Han and Leia's romance is much improved in ROTJ and I actually like their interactions in the final film. Han can still be unkind at times (such as when he yells at Leia about Luke) but he apologizes right away and comforts her.

In contrast to Han, though, the most questionable thing that Anakin does towards Padmé in AOTC is look at her funny after she's told him it makes her feel uncomfortable. And even then, Padmé always had the option of asking the Council for a new bodyguard, nor were they in isolation on Naboo (we see plenty of servants around, for instance). And when she tells him, during the fireplace scene, that she can't and won't be with him, he accepts it. He tells her that she's right and it would destroy them. Then, he treats her with great respect and formality -- addressing her as Senator, no longer moving in closer to her. She's the one who initiates every romantic action. She chooses to go with him to Tatooine, she hugs him, she confesses her love for him. Anakin, contrary to simply lusting after Padmé, respected her decision when she said they couldn't be together and still cared for her. If anyone is simply lusting, it would probably be Han in ESB since he seems so childishly concerned with proving that Leia loves him. It wouldn't bother me so much, but for the fact that the movies never portray it as a flaw in the Han-Leia relationship. Anakin and Padmé, on the other hand, have their issues, but these are addressed and have real (and horrifically negative) consequences for the characters. That's honestly why I prefer the depiction Anakin and Padmé romance. You don't have to agree; this is simply my reasoning.

You're correct in a sense. I never got much "lusting" chemistry from either of them. But I did get a very strong sense that both of them were lonely and, more importantly, that they were happy together and that they felt they could be honest with each other. Which, to me, is more important than the kind of chemistry Han and Leia display. ROTS, in particular, was really wonderful at showcasing this in my opinion. There's no scene of Han and Leia, for instance, that I find as relatable as Padmé going to see Anakin after his nightmare. To me, they honestly felt like a real couple -- one that had their own issues to deal with, rather than just there to entertain the audience. I didn't feel it was unnatural. Awkward and at times melodramatic, yes, but I felt that was appropriate to the characters, personally.

Why would you assume that? Not liking Han Solo does not preclude me from loving the OT. In fact, my second favorite Star Wars character is exclusively in the OT -- Luke. Luke has a beautiful journey and I think shows wonderful transition and development as a character. I agree with you that his story is a magnificently human story and watching him struggle with love, morality, and truth makes for a deep and thematically rich experience. I relate very well to Luke and he is a wonderful character. I simply don't particularly care for Han and feel that Leia (as Anakin's daughter) was wasted potential. And that her perspective wasn't considered enough, to be honest.

Either way, though, it's got nothing to do with the popularity of the films nor, necessarily, the relate-ability of the characters. For me, it depends on how real they feel to me. Can I see the characters as having lives beyond what we are shown in the film, or do they simply come across as archetypes to entertain? For characters such as Luke, Anakin, and Obi-Wan, the former is true. For Han, the latter is. Speaking only from my perspective, of course.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm making a list of things I would change, subtle little tweaks, while retaining Lucas' vision and heart of the story he wanted to tell. No big changes. No character wholesale changes. Just some small things I think might elevate it and deepen what Lucas' themes and ideas were for the films.

I start with TPM....soon.

3. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    the PT's romance was better-handled in that it acknowledged that there were negative elements to the relationship (such as Anakin's intense attachment issues) while still presenting a romance.

That made it harder for me to really believe it as a romance. When they first meet, Padme is robbing the cradle. Then, they seem to fall in love sight unseen after 10 years. The way Anakin talks to her sounds creepy, and the way Hayden Christensen delivers his lines? He looks like he's reading off a cue card and sounds worse than Christian from Cyrano. Having that be the foundation for Anakin's fall worked against him, in my book, because he's doing it to preserve a relationship that never felt healthy in the first place, and yet we're also supposed to believe that his redemption was based on genuine affection for their son.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What? They were 9 and 14. It wasn't a romance then. Why does it matter that Padme was older (even 10 years later when it was a romance)?

In your opinion.

Why would his redemption not be based on genuine affection for their son? Men who have parted ways with the mothers of their children, still have genuine affection for those children all the time, and the same with women who have parted ways with the fathers of their children. Whatever you think of Anakin and Padme's relationship, I'm not sure why that should affect our opinion of Anakin's affection for Luke.

TragicHeroLover132 likes this.
  5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    See, I don’t personally “connect” with this Anakin and I didn’t ever “look up” to him or want to be like him. So this post is correct in part. GL may have accomplished 100% of what he wanted with Anakin and perhaps the problem is my own expectation, but Anakin should have been more balanced – IMHO – before the slow disintegration via Sids’ manipulations.

Indeed. AoTC Anakin overshadows ROTS Anakin in that it formed my initial impression of grown Anakin. I didn’t particularly like AoTC Obi-Wan, either, but his flaws weren’t so, uh, character-diminishing.

ROTS cemented my Obi-Wan admiration and kicked up my Anakin appreciation, but not enough to fully overcome the AoTC impression.
    Yes, your mileage may vary and I respect that. But I cannot really “connect” with Anakin; I do understand him and what I am was supposed to take away from the movies but I fear that the execution in THE MOVIES failed to do its job. I thank fanfic, truthfully, for helping to broaden my understanding of Anakin, and I believe, align it more with those of who are satisfied with the movie representation.

FARK2005 likes this.
  6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    How many "changes to make the PT better" threads do we have to read? There seemed to be one every month or two.

7. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    See, I don't mind that they had difficulties because the film actually acknowledges it by ROTS and there are real consequences. Plus, there's also the fact that many real-life couples often have major hurdles to overcome in their relationships (especially some of the military families I have known). Having stress in a relationship (whether due from on member's past or unfolding events), is not uncommon. I don't think the fact that Anakin and Padmé had hurdles to work through (that they handled in the wrong manner -- well-meaning, but unfortunately) diminishes their love for each other in any way.

In regards to your other points -- how is Padmé robbing the cradle? Anakin is an adult and the age gap between them is only five years. Need I remind you that the age gap between Han and Leia is much more significant.

Plus, Anakin being creepy is entirely subjective. I have never found his actions creepy precisely because he backs off when she tells him to and respects her. The most questionable thing he does in AOTC is stare at her, once, after she's asked him not to. A far cry from what Han does in ESB.

In regards to Hayden's acting, we will have to agree to disagree. Given the difficulty of some of his lines (the fireplace scene in particular), I think he pulls it off very well.

The issue I have with Han and Leia is that they (in ESB) fall under what I call the Twilight effect: namely, when the work of fiction pretends that a relationship with blatantly unhealthy elements is just fine and even ideal. The way Han treats Leia is (to me) not acceptable and yet the movie goes right along and runs with this, as though it isn't problematic, and Leia falls passionately in love with him anyway. When Han touches her after she's told him to stop, that's not romantic, it's wrong. Just like when Edward Cullen watches Bella Swan sleep at night without her knowledge, it's not romantic, it's stalking. Works that fail to point this out have rather poor romances in my opinion.

Or, to give you another example, one of my favorite works of fiction had a minor character who used to be in a relationship with a woman he had helped get off drugs. He comes home one day and sees that she is not only high, but that she is even sleeping with her ex-boyfriend. She begs her boyfriend (Martin) to kill her, but he just walks out of the room and she ends up shooting herself. When we meet Martin in the context of the story, he's still dealing with the guilt over his girlfriend's death. Personally, I have no doubt that despite the fact that they were horribly messed up by her drug use and that it ended poorly, that their love for each other was genuine.

TragicHeroLover132 likes this.
  8. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

I see what you're saying. My points were more along the lines of addressing the people who wanted Anakin to be more like Luke -- a down-to-earth and good-natured, classically "noble" hero. I think, personally, that this would have been rather unrealistic given what Anakin eventually becomes and I think Lucas kept that in mind when making the PT. I always thought that it was pretty significant that Anakin basically knew Obi-Wan and Palpatine for the same amount of time in that it established a dichotomy of a good vs. evil mentor/father. In many regards, I think it's clear that Palpatine holds a lot of sway over Anakin in AOTC -- we see him defend him to Obi-Wan for instance, treat him with the greatest respect, and then Anakin parrots many of Palpatine's views to Padmé. The problem Obi-Wan had, of course, was that he was fighting a battle at a great disadvantage: not only does Palpatine have several decades more of experience than Obi-Wan, but Palpatine also realizes that he needs to actively work against Obi-Wan (while Obi remains unaware of Palpatine's intentions).

9. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    There's abt 15 minutes of stuff gumming up AOTC. If you skip that material the film becomes stronger immediately. So I'd definitely carve AOTC down to 2 hrs. The balcony scene in ROTS is weak, there's abt 5 minutes of stuff that could happily go overboard from that movie. Apart from that I'm happy with the prequels.

10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'd remove the poop and flatulence jokes from TPM, and I'd probably put in the deleted scene with Qui-Gon in ROTS.

Beyond that, I'd pretty much leave them be.

11. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I personally would add in more hints of how weak and corrupt the republic is. How many Jedi have died in the Wars, how many clones are currently in service, how many senators have ultimately left the republic?

I would've added in more shots of Coruscant streets, cause I loved the way it looked in Episode II

I would've added The Transitional period from Anakin becoming an emo kid, to becoming a Mass Murderer.

I would've added more time for the 3 characters anyone really care about: Grievous, Jango and Maul.

I would've subtracted from the Padme/Anakin love story, not cause it's unimportant, it just wasn't done right.

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No one is making you read them. Stay on topic.

13. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    TPM: Some tighter, judicious editing for select scenes. For one thing, I'd excise Anakin's cockpit dialogue, and Lloyd's obnoxious performance therein.

AOTC: Despite the effective Kamino/Tatooine material, the movie doesn't work for me. Thankfully, I can skip over this middle chapter without much narrative discord.

ROTS: As is the case with ANH and TESB, the movie works like gangbusters, so the quibbles are inconsequential.

14. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    It's not robbing the cradle in TPM; at that point you're correct to point out it's not a romance. But ten years later they act like they've done nothing but think about each other in the interceding decade. Nothing about Anakin at this stage in his life really sounds that attractive, especially lines like "I don't like sand...."

Their next scene together Padme confesses her feelings for Anakin, and I'm left to wonder where they came from. If not the experience they had a decade before, what in recent experience drew her to him? Anakin for his part openly admits he's done nothing but think of her for 10 years, which does strike me as creepy, and saying "The thought of not being with you...I can't breathe" sounds more like obsession than love. That she ultimately makes the decision to be with Anakin seems like she is the one giving in to his otherwise uncomfortable advances.

Vader's later actions on Luke's behalf were quite believable when we simply thought of a father acting to save his son. But for the reasons I listed above, his relationship with the son's mother seems not like a good attempt at a marriage that just didn't walk out, but one that was never really healthy in the first place. The first minute I saw Hayden and Natalie interact, it never surprised me that it should end with him choking her to death.

Your point about Twilight is well taken, the way Edward behaves is stalkerish, and there's very little substance to him (other than how muscular and sparkly he is) to justify Bella's attraction to him. I rather picked up that same vibe from Anakin, moreso than with Han, whose pairing with Leia seemed like the romantic comedy staple in which the couple destined to end up together always hates each other at first.

I personally would add in more hints of how weak and corrupt the republic is.

And the Rebels are fighting to restore it why? We never see a Republic, Jedi, or Anakin worthy of the restoration and redemption that the original trilogy shows us.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "

It's not "robbing the cradle" when they are both adults and only four or five years apart, period. Would anyone complain if Anakin were five years older? If the answer is "no", then complaints about the Anakin/Padme age difference fall under a term that starts with sex- and ends with -ism. This is not 1850 when women need to be taken care of by their men; in a story written in our era, we should be able to have a pairing in which the woman is older than the man without anyone thinking there's something wrong with it. Especially when nobody blinks about Han being 11 years older than Leia. A 29-year-old going for an 18-year-old could be construed as much creepier than a 24-year-old going for a 20-year-old. I don't think Han and Leia are creepy, but I am imagining the comments if Leia were 29 and Han were 18.

As far as "what in recent exposure drew her to him", a couple of points: one, every single "The A/P romance wasn't realistic" argument comes down to "I didn't like Anakin, so I don't get why Padme did." And that's fine, but I wish people would be more honest about that, instead of behaving like it's some failure on George Lucas' part because he made Padme fall in love with a character that you personally weren't in love with. Two, Anakin was the only person in Padme's life who did not give a rat's ass that she was a Senator, who liked her because she was Padme. And based on the meadow scene, the refugee ship scene, and the deleted scenes, she enjoyed his company.

Anakin's lines: did anyone actually think he literally thought nothing of her for 10 years? When anakin is a highly emotional person and prone to exaggeration? If he had literally thought of nothing but her for 10 years, I doubt Obi-Wan could have taught him to meditate. The "I can't breathe " line was stupid and awkward but it was supposed to be. If you're taking it to mean that he literally couldn't breathe, you're taking it too seriously.

And speak for yourself on the choking, I never saw that coming and I don't believe that's what Lucas intended either. As far as stalking--please. There is nothing stalkerish about a guy who leaves a girl alone after she tells him toback off. In fact, that's the opposite of stalking.

Lady_Skywalker87 and PiettsHat like this.
  16. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think they did nothing but think about each other. Padmé certainly never indicates this and, in fact, she seems rather shocked to see Anakin, almost as though she didn't realize that he would have grown up. People read all sorts of dark intent into Anakin thinking of Padmé, but I don't really see what the big deal is. He was a lonely kid and so he drew on happy memories to comfort him. I don't really think that's odd -- kind of like how children (and some adults) will sometimes ask God to watch over their loved ones every night before they go to sleep. Plus, I don't really see what's so terrible about the "I don't like sand..." line. No, it wasn't a sweep you off your feet type line, but it was honest. It was basically Anakin's reaction to Padmé talking about her childhood and him saying he really didn't like where he grew up, but he liked being with her. It was earnest -- and I think that as a politician that has to constantly try to discern peoples' true motives, she found refreshing and likable. He really liked her, and he never hid that, he made it clear without pressuring her and accepted her decisions. And that's attractive.

He never said he did nothing but think of her. He said he thought and dreamt of her and clearly liked to spend time with her. Yes, he lays his cards on the table in a rather melodramatic fashion, but he tells her that he's leaving it up to her -- she gets to decide. And when she refuses, he accepts it. She likes being with him because he's honest, he makes her happy, and he cares about many of the same things she does (such as the government improving the lives of their citizens). She doesn't "ultimately make the decision to be with Anakin" as though she is giving into "uncomfortable advances" -- when she tells him that she loves him, there is no prompting from him -- he just tells her not to be afraid because he's trying to comfort her as they are about to be executed. After the fireplace scene, he kept a professional distance -- referring to her as "Senator," only offering his hand to help her down the carriage. She's the one who initiates everything -- she goes with him to Tatooine, she hugs him, she goes down to see if he's alright after he's lost his mother, she sits down to comfort him, she admits that she loves him. He doesn't pressure her -- he lets her know how he feels (awkwardly and melodramatically, sure) but then, it's left up to Padmé.

To be honest, I don't like the implication of this -- that people that have issues are incapable of love. Yes, Anakin and Padmé's relationship had unhealthy elements, but that doesn't diminish their love for each other. That's like saying it's impossible for someone to fall in love with a drug addict and genuinely want to help them or a soldier with PTSD, or a criminal who regrets his past. Of course there's always the possibility that things won't end well (but then, that's true in every relationship), but that doesn't diminish the real and honest love both people have for each other. And I think it's made pretty clear, even in ROTS, that Anakin regretted what he did to Padmé -- his first question upon waking from hours of brutal surgery is to ask if she's alright. Personally, I would much rather that the film explore these problematic elements then pretend they don't exist.

Luke succeeded where his mother failed, but that doesn't diminish their love for each other as a family.

See, I get more of an Edward vibe from Han than Anakin in that ESB shows him not caring at all about Leia's feellings, just doing what he wants, and the film presents this as okay. Which is my major sticking point with it. However badly Anakin and Padmé turned out, ROTS at least acknowledges that when he treats her badly that it is wrong. In AOTC, though, he treats her with far greater respect than Han ever affords Leia. Likewise, I never understood why Leia went for Han instead of Luke. Luke respected her and never pressured her to do anything -- she was comfortable with him. Han behaved childishly, was extremely self-serving in terms of the give and take of the relationship, and didn't respect her personal space. Leia just seems to fall in love with him because they are, as you say "destined to end up together" with little real reasoning.

A system doesn't have to be perfect to be worth preserving, especially given the alternative. For example, the United States, as it is, is still a highly problematic society where we have huge social issues and ineffective governance on many levels. Nevertheless, I think everyone would agree that it is better than living in, say, Nazi Germany or North Korea.

17. Obi-Ewan

Jan 24, 2000
    Yes, Anakin and Padmé's relationship had unhealthy elements, but that doesn't diminish their love for each other. That's like saying it's impossible for someone to fall in love with a drug addict and genuinely want to help them or a soldier with PTSD, or a criminal who regrets his past.

The pair of them, Anakin in particular, did nothing more to convince me they loved each other than to simply read the lines they were given off a cue card. They fell in love not because they were two characters who loved each other, but because they were the future mother and father of two established characters.

A system doesn't have to be perfect to be worth preserving, especially given the alternative. For example, the United States, as it is, is still a highly problematic society where we have huge social issues and ineffective governance on many levels. Nevertheless, I think everyone would agree that it is better than living in, say, Nazi Germany or North Korea.

You have a government helpless to deal with corruption at every level, and no standing army other than the Jedi. Corporations that can invade sovereign planets with impunity. An elitist warrior class whose biggest problem, if Lucas is to be believed, is that they don't immediately bow down on their knees when a boy with no known father is presented to them. That boy has clear emotional issues and a very controlling possessive nature towards the people around him, and who ultimately accuses his own wife of betraying him. In the old trilogy we are told about "the good man" who was Anakin Skywalker. We never meet this man, and therefore, never see the good go bad. We see the bad get worse. The same goes for the Jedi Order and the Republic. Where are the good qualities that make them worth preserving?

Yunners likes this.
  18. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Don't you think that's rather subjective though? Your argument earlier was that the unhealthy elements made it difficult for you to see them as a real romance. I was merely pointing out that one party having serious issues does not prevent the love they feel for another person from being true and genuine. Otherwise it would imply that the love of traumatized individuals, drug addicts, penitent criminals and others would be less "real." You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think that Anakin showed far more evidence of truly caring for Padmé than Han ever did for Leia. Han constantly antagonized her and invaded her personal space -- he didn't respect her, which is integral to love. Anakin, even though he felt intensely about Padmé, respected her decision not to be with him after she said "no" and didn't pressure her. He still cared for her and her well-being even after she made it clear that she wouldn't pursue a relationship. He took interest in her work in the Senate and liked to hear about her life and childhood -- she told him about school retreats, about old boyfriends, about her work. I think, if anything, that his love for her was very well established, even if it did have negative consequences due to his attachment issues.

The good qualities worth preserving? Perhaps freedom? Perhaps not having to worry about a dictator destroying your entire planet on a whim? Perhaps wanting a military where commanders are not free to treat the lives of their officers as disposable? Not having to worry about government troops overrunning your city for the smallest infraction? Wanting some system of appeal and courts?

Honestly, look at any system of government -- look at our own: how many Iraqi children have died because of wars we started? How many women and children are sold into sexual slavery in the United States every year? Drug use? Poverty? A government so divided that it is rendered almost completely ineffective. There are multitudes of issues facing us, but that doesn't mean that we should give up and allow an authoritarian regime to arise. That's essentially what Lucas is saying with the prequels -- democracy is messy and difficult, but it's when people give up on it and look for an easy way out that dictatorships arise. He's saying not to take our flawed democracies for granted because we risk replacing them with a form of government that is far and away worse.

Not to mention the fact, of course, that Palpatine is playing the Republic quite skillfully, exacerbating these issues and blocking resolution.

And remember what Abraham Lincoln said:
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

The same is true for the Republic (and in fact, is stated in 1976, in the opening of the original novel): the Republic rotted away from the inside out. The system collapsed because people gave up on it and didn't try to fix it, not because it couldn't be fixed.

Plus, where do you get the idea that the Jedi's biggest problem was that they wouldn't "bow" to a boy? Their problem was that they had become isolated from the people, insulated and completely disconnected from the going-ons of the Republic. Instead they served the Senate and it serves as a critique of tying your religious institutions to your political ones.

Anakin, when he arrived at on Coruscant, had had a difficult past, but that's not to say that he would not have improved in a more nurturing environment. He has issues, yes, but he also sacrifices three years of his life to fighting a war to protect his homeland and the people he loves. And we see him, time and time again, defend them even at the risk of his own life. Anakin was a good man. That he had skeletons in his closet does not prevent him from loving others and trying to protect them. Everything and everyone is flawed. It's when we give up on them and declare them lost causes, though, that we get Empires and Darth Vaders.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's all very subjective, PiettsHat, which is why I have issues with this whole line of argument. I would love for someone to show me that I'm wrong, but it seems that those who are arguing against us, are arguing their personal opinion as objective fact instead of just what it is--one opinion that is no more valid than those who disagree.

OK, so they didn't convince you. That doesn't mean that they didn't love each other. I was plenty convinced. Are you arguing that I was "wrong" to believe that they loved each other, that I was "wrong" because I interpreted scenes differently and saw something that you didn't see? Is it possible that there is not one "correct" interpretation?

Or that they were dogmatic, arrogant, and inflexible? I would have been disappointed if Lucas had made them perfect, and I think he did a fantastic job of showing that they were flawed and their flaws indirectly led to their own demise--but that they still in no way deserved that demise.

Sounds pretty close to the US government to me, but I still don't think that the US government or the US itself needs to be dissolved.

He definitely has emotional issues, and given his past, I would be shocked if he didn't. However, he in no way exhibits a "very controlling possessive nature" until he had already turned into Vader. Before then, he was very passionate and loved people intensely but was in no way abusive or controlling. And it's hardly fair to base Anakin Skywalker's entire character on the last half of ROTS alone.

I met him, several times in the first two movies and at the beginning of the third. I didn't meet the "perfect man that was Anakin Skywalker" or the so-called "noble Jedi", and I'm thankful for that, but I did meet the "good man" that Ben talked about.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  20. Anakin_Skywalker005

Anakin_Skywalker005 Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2012
    :) Hey guys. Just wanted to say that I am currently working on a re-write of the prequels - mainly the first two. Big changes...and improvements. I omitted some characters out and made Anakin slightly older. Obi wan and Anakin's friendship is more profound as well as Anakin and Padme's ...which I will get there eventually. lol. And No...C3P0 is not 'naked' in this one either. lol. :p I've included pirates and Jango Fett into the mix. Thinking when I get to EpII, I will include General Grevious. If I could somehow have the grand army of clones show up at the last min of EP1... i am not sure maybe i'll save that for ep II then.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  22. Anakin_Skywalker005

Anakin_Skywalker005 Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2012
    I think it works for the sake of his friendship with Padme and seriously though, that ten year gap killed it. and I am making it 5 years instead of ten. A lot can still happen in that time span. Thanks for the link. If anyone is interested in hearing my other suggestions, let me know.

ROTS still rocks in my opinion so nothing much will be changed.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wish we had seen more of that ten-year gap between TPM and AOTC, by an author other than Jude Watson that is. However, I don't know what that had to do with Anakin's age, and I'm really hoping that someone will answer this question: what in the hell is wrong with Anakin being younger than Padme?

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I'll answer that question: Nothing. That also happens to be my answer to the thread title. The prequels don't need to be better.

The PT - it's fantastic
    /LM

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

So did Christensen and Portman. However, the romances from both trilogies seemed a bit . . . unrealistic in their own different ways. But I still enjoyed them.

What would you add/subtract to make the Original movies better? If you feel the need to ask this question about the PT, then I believe that the same question could and should be directed to the OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.