main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's an issue with non-force users in the EU too. Look at Han in FOTJ, he's 70-something and he's still keeping up with the YOUNGER JEDI. And Gilad Pellaeon was like 93 at the time of his assassination and he was still running the Empire with a clear mind.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    What is funny is Christopher Lee was 83 years old when he played the aging Count Dooku...and he was hot looking. He was like The Most Interesting Man in the World with a lightsaber. Stay sexy my friend.;)

I guess you could argue that with the Force talent and skill could outweigh youth and agility...plus he is Sith so he can cheat. What is that old saying, "Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery."

But I do agree that Han probably should be complaining about running himself ragged trying to take care of his granddaughter. I complain about trying to keep up with my boys...I couldn't imagine doing it at 70.

I guess I would like to know what a standard year is equivalent to on Earth?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My Mom is 60 and does triathlons with no signs of slowing down. I guess it depends on the person, because while I work out regularly, she's in better shape than I am and I also complain about trying to keep up with my boys. :p

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Well, doing it mathematically using the 'average non-force sensitive' lifespand, which is 100 according to wook. Let's say that the average life expectancy on earth is 75 (I'm going by 1st world averages). So every year earth humans age, average GFFA humans would age .75 of a year. Meaning that when Han is 70, he's the equivalent of a healthy earth 52 or 53 year old, which is I think about right going by Han. Pelleaon would have been the equivalent of a 70year old, which also sounds right.

Now for force using humans, wook claims that they can live to be up to 200-300 years. Going by the low end, force using humans age at more than half the rate of earth humans.

Edit: I think it also depends on the individual. My grandfather is 71 and still rollerblades.

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Fifties are still young. I was told fifty is the new forty. HA! I'm getting younger and younger. I work out about two hours a day in the gym, but that doesn't stop my internal organs from going to crap. Damn genetics! I have trouble keeping up with my youngest son. He is in elementary school and he is taller than me and he is getting freakishly strong. My father was like that. Never stepped into a gym in his life but he could lift a car off the ground (the trunk side...but that is still impressive).

So a human Force sensitive can live to 200? Yeah...not in this galaxy. Just ask, Anakin, Jacen, Mara, Kenth Hamner, Ganner, Jaden Korr, Kol Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Count Dooku, Mace Windu and all the young human Jedi who died in the purge. I would say they are lucky to hit 100.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Boba Fett is nearing 80 (if not already there) and he's still running around with his bad knees and hammer toes. Dengar had retired with his wife (where's the Little Dengars? Have some kids already!), Bossk is retired, 4-LOM is still active, last I checked (which is fine for a droid), and Zuckuss is locked up in a psychiatric hospital. Of all these guys, Fett is still seeing all sorts of action, Bossk had only one recent appearance, Dengar and 4-LOM have all but dropped off the radar, and obviously authors hate Zuckuss.

At this point... I just shake my head and ask myself why.

7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Watch, we will find out he is the clone of the original Boba Fett. I would say as long as Boba Fett has a huge fanboy following they will find a way to keep him alive.

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    They'll keep him around at the expense of the other bounty hunters.

I still wanna know if Dengar and Manaroo had kids.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Isn't Dengar the bounty hunter that looks like his head is wrapped in toilet paper? I have to go to Wookieepedia to find out who Manaroo is.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    New writer's pet peeve: when people get pissy at me for not tagging/PMing them, when they never asked in the first place. I'm not a real Jedi people. I can't read minds.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    That would be him. He got married. Manaroo is his blue-skinned Aruzan wife.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That bugs the living **** out of me in every area of life. I tell people that I may have a master's degree but I failed Mind Reading 101 several times.

I haven't had a problem with that in fan fic though.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I start tagging based on replies. Seems to work.

I discovered another malapropism in a published work yesterday. Goodness, that drives me nuts. A horde refers to a massive group. "Hoard" refers to collecting and holding on to an excessive amount of stuff. Therefore, "a hoard of midget hockey players" ends up taking on a very different meaning.

Then last evening, I was trying to read a fic on FFN, but it was so chock full of grammar issues and misused words that I couldn't concentrate and gave up. "Grouse" is a bird or someone grouching about something. It does not mean "Eew, icky!" The word you're looking for is "gross." :p

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So I have a reader that has a quote from my fanfic in their signature. At first I thought it was flattering, but then I noticed that I was not credited and it is really rubbing me the wrong way. I know as fan fic writers we run on the line between illegal/legal copywrite laws, but we don't take word for words quotes from the books or movies without telling our readers where they are from or without assuming our readers know.

I don't want to call them out on it because I'll look kinda like a hypocrite, but it's still peeving me.

15. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I assume you mean the quote is from your fanfic?

Malapropisms normally drive me nuts, but I have seen a few that were almost insanely funny. I had a list floating around my hard drive for a while of all the really amusing ones, but it seems to have disappeared.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes. WTH either auto correct is out to get me today (it just changed me to ewe?!?!), or I just can't think.

I see malapropisms in published work all the time. I caught one in my history textbook the other day. I payed too much for this textbook for it to say affluence instead of influence.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Sometimes you have foreign writers who are practicing english or it could be a brain cramp. In my last fic I kept writing Wench instead of Winch. I have to go back and make sure I fixed everything...I bet there are a couple wenches still in that fic. It sounds like a pirate wrote the story. Arrrggg.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I've been a co-writer with a person who's first language isn't English and I've read all of her stuff. Her writing has improved leaps and bounds since she started, but I still find silly mistakes, some that slipped through her beta. We all have brain farts, but if it's a constant thing, then it gets annoying.

19. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I'd just say "Hey, I noticed you quoted my 'fic in your sig. I'm glad you like it. Would you mind putting that it's by me so that people can find the 'fic? Thanks!" or something similar.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. If they don't change their sig in a few days, I may pm them something to that effect.

21. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Some people, especially younger ones, aren't quite "up" on the etiquette of quoting things.

Which reminds me of another peeve of mine: works that plagiarize your stuff, and when you call them on it, you get told that it's a "tribute" to yours . . . with no credit previously given. I had someone rip off one of my 'fics, then beg me not to go to the mods when I brought it up. I was like "Uh, no. I don't tolerate having entire chunks of my story lifted like that". Playing with someone's OCs when you ask permission is one thing (and I know that we're all playing with characters not our own here, but we acknowledge that fact), but taking whole descriptions and dialogue? Ugh.

22. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I was going to just post this, because this has to be my least favourite thing of all time.
    I guess we must have been reading the same fic. 8-}

I read another fic where it said "The rein of the Emperor". Not only was the sentence overused, they kept using that word. I couldn't read past that, for pity of the poor, misused homophones.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I definitely need new eyeglasses. I thought you wrote 'misused homophobes'. I was really confused as to the conversation at that point.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You're not the only one who needs new glasses.

25. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    [face_laugh]
    I then misunderstood the sentence and checked, because I thought I actually wrote "misused homophobes" instead of homophones. :p