main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    ME3 DLC timeline leak. Not at all confirmed, so take it with a grain of salt.

(Doesn't include Omega, which has already been announced)

From Pastebin:

Mass Effect 3 Guardian DLC: 800 MS/BioWare Points
    The truth is close.Discover the mysteries and secrets hidden in the heart of every civilization.
    ^Citadel DLC

DLC release date:November 2012

Mass Effect 3 Retaliation DLC: Multi DLC and last.

Mass Effect 3 Assassin DLC pack:{DLC name may change}:
    Weapon DLC pack: DLC release date:November 2012

Mass Effect 3 War Assets Cinematics DLC: free DLC
    DLC release date:not yet known

Mass Effect 3 Take Earth back DLC: free DLC
    Expand your experience in the battle for Earth

DLC release date Probably December 2012

Mass Effect 3 Light DLC{DLC name may change}:800 MS/BioWare Points:
    Activate mass relay and discover uncharted corners of the Milky Way.

Mass Effect 3 Rebirth DLC:free DLC{required all DLC}
    DLC release date:February 2013 This is the last DLC

^"Project X"

2. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    No, I just played it at the beginning of the month...I definitely used RT for shooting.

3. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Interesting. If they do it this way, all the DLC being released might as well be Mass Effect 3.5.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I think you're misunderstanding. RT is shoot AND melee in ME1 (hence the problem with Feros).

5. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I see. Well, considering I never meleed in ME1...anyway, I'm still (sort of) right! I used RT for shooting in ME1. :p

Also, regarding the DLC plan: Michael Gamble has debunked the news on Twitter.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Looks like it was fake. Ah, well.

7. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I was going to say, that was a huge freaking backlog of DLC. That sort of thing would actually tick me off a bit; while I love the game I hate having to wait for them to release things that on principle should have been there on release day. That's probably a reason why I haven't gone running to MMOs like TOR either:

[​IMG]

8. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Yeah, I saw that it was fake from Mike Gamble's Twitter. He said they would all be working 90 hour work weeks if that was true.

9. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    So then this was announced...

Mass Effect trilogy

Interesting that this means Mass Effect 1 is now available for PS3.

I was thinking recently that it would be great to have a remastered ME1, done in a style more like ME2 and ME3. I don't think that's what they've done here, but it would've been awesome nice.

The news doesn't mention if the DLC is included.

10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, they *could* have included everything in the game from the start, but then it'd be on more disks and would have come out a lot later. Think of it more like buying the complete game and them going 'hey, we've got this cool thing to make a great game even better, but you don't need to buy it if you don't want it'. It's more like they're expanding on the game, like the Star Wars books and comics and stuff expand on the films.

While I won't be getting this, I am excited for PS3 owners. Although, I can see it annoying a lot of people. If this is the only way to get ME1 on PS3 then those with ME2 and ME3 will have to buy the whole trilogy just for one game.

11. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I've also heard that just ME1 will be available on the PSN. So that way, PS3 owners can just download that.

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    ... I kind of want it because shiny, shiny box ... but I already own all three so I can't justify it. Hell, I even already own two copies of ME2.

[face_thinking]

13. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Haha, I'm in the same boat! Though, the only reason I have two copies of ME2 is that the 2nd disc of my CE stopped working so I had to buy another one.

I am probably going to get this, because I cannot resist.

14. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I have the discs and the Steam edition. Steam is great, but there's nothing like the physical disc, you know?

... which is why I am really, really tempted to get this; I only have ME1 on Steam. Dammit ... :p

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  15. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Hell, I even still want the Mass Effect 1 Collector's edition for 360. But those are so hard to find and when you do, they're so expensive. :(

16. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    The trilogy collection news is kinda "meh" for me since I already have all three games and most of the dlc (From Ashes, Firefight, and Leviathan being the main exceptions) on the 360 :p . I'm kind of surprised that ME1 is getting a PS3 release though. I thought Microsoft had some sort of joint ownership of it? Not saying that ME1 on the PS3 is bad, I'm just kind of confused about that.

And just out of curiosity, is any of the DLC (up to Leviathan anyway, doubtful Omega would be ready) for any of the games included in this?

17. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    It hasn't been advertised that the DLC will be included, so I'm going to assume it's not until it's been announced otherwise.

And yeah, Microsoft published ME1 but I suppose that something has been worked out, otherwise EA wouldn't be providing it on PS3.

18. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    I just generally don't like major plot events being shoehorned into the game after the fact. ME3 would have been a lot better if Leviathan was built in from the get-go and had more of an impact on the endgame. The big criticism of DLC is that it's become common for companies (I'm looking at you, EA) to push their development teams to meet a deadline to make the accountants happy, resulting in an incomplete product, and then charge extra for the bits that got left behind. Thankfully I held off on getting ME3 until the EC released, but I can well see why fans got ticked off by the original abrupt ending.

Saintheart likes this.
  19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I must say, I'm looking forward to ME1 for PS3. Now means I can avoid playing ME2 and ME3 on PC. Sorry, dudes, but I like my dual triggers and miniature joysticks too much. :) Although I doubt there'll be any streamlining of the game: that link says ME1 will be available as a standalone for $14.99 the day the trilogy comes out, so for that sort of outlay you'd have to think all they've done is a quick and dirty port. Pity.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  20. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Mar 18, 2006
    That, in a nutshell, is why I don't like Leviathan. In my opinion, it feels less like "Go find a Reaper-Killer" and more "We Need to Justify the Existence of the Star Child". o_O Heck, I'll admit there's plenty that I saw in Leviathan that I liked, with a few things that I could overlook, but the last part of it... yeah. Not good if a fair portion of it is spent talking about "The Intelligence" and some of the headstratching it brought up. And in the end, what was gained? About 400 tms points (for a reference, promoting 6 MP classes nets you 450), and a couple of slightly altered lines at the end.

21. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Just as a question regarding weapons - if you don't upgrade a gun to level V in your first ME3 playthrough, can you still upgrade it to level X in New Game+? That would have been a concern with Leviathan, except I find the M-55 Argus and AT-12 Raider are rendered also-rans by other guns. I'm wondering if we'll get any new weapons in future DLC like Omega.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like you can according to the wiki.

22. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    The general excuse for post-game DLC that actually probably happens before the endgame is that Shepard is such a legend that no one is sure if all the stories about him or her are true or when they happened or something like that.

I agree that Leviathan makes more sense if it was included in the original game...but that being said, I liked Leviathan and I thought it provided the ME team stuff to go on for future ME games. I also liked the nod to the X-Files.

23. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, I did like that about Leviathan - nice to get an achievement titled "Conspiracy Theorist," although no way in hell any of my Shepards were twisted enough to put a screaming formerly human husk head on their desk. With DLC however there's an overkill point - ME2 had six mission DLCs (Zaeed, Kasumi, Firewalker, LotSB, Overlord, and Arrival) and so far we've had two or three come out for ME3 (depending on what you count the EC as). For ME2, Zaeed and Kasumi were pretty obviously intended to be in it from the start along with LotSB; Arrival was a bridge to ME3 and Overlord was just plain cool (I think the combat music from that is some of my favorite in the series) with ramifications in ME3. Firewalker was also-rans, although at least you get an extra research upgrade out of it.

ME2 was also easier to add DLC to because the game ended with you free to roam the galaxy for as long as you liked; in ME3 doing the DLC after finishing the game means you have to redo two entire Priority Missions. If you throw too much DLC into the SP campaign, it gives the impression the thing is never going to bloody end. Cut, wrap, enjoy the product until the next rumored ME game comes around. That goes extra since ME3 has the multiplayer campaign, which can better benefit from DLC as far as changing up the gameplay and adding new elements.

24. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I thought the Firewalker mission was so useless. :rolleyes: They got rid of the Mako and thought that oh no, now we need a vehicle! Lame.

I agree that SP DLC is better for ME2 because of the nature of the endgame. With ME3 you're either dead or probably severely wounded...

25. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Mar 18, 2006
    The thing is, I like the *idea* of Leviathan, and even the prospect of the origin of the Reapers (while potentially dicey), could be something very interesting. If I had to draw a comparison to something else, I'd say Leviathan kind of resembles the small subplot in seasons 3 and 4 of Babylon 5 where Ivanava and Marcus are looking for the First Ones in order to fight the Shadows. And yes, unlike somewhere else, the allies they found show up in the final battle (and actually have a pretty important role, I believe).

Personally, I think if BioWare wants dlc for 3 to be relevent, it needs to add something to the final battle, even if it's just a short little cutscene (and not two throwaway lines at the end). Otherwise, why bother if you get the same exact endings? I mean, love or hate the endings, you gotta admit the battle on Earth is rather... bland and one-size-fits-all. Doesn't really matter what you did over three games, the battle turns out the exact same way.