main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    although my gf will probably get one as her contract's been up for awhile and this will be most dfifficult to bear.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    seems my browser and/or this site had a bit of a moment there.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I got upgraded to a 4S a couple days ago (yeah I know the 5's about to hit but I wouldn't be able to afford that anyways- and the 4S only cost me $149), although I cant sync it at the moment (need to either upgrade my OS or use a PC; the former of which is kinda expensive and the latter of which I'd rather avoid), its still a massive improvement over the iTouch/non-smartphone combo I had (especially after the phone whitescreened on me 2 weeks ago at C6).

The OS issue was limiting my ability to update the iTouch so there were a lot of apps I was unable to use (either to install [like the C6 app] or were rendered useless after an update [like the BOA app]) or were running poorly with frequent lockups/crashes(Facebook). Now the stuff runs way smooth, and I like the newer feature of being able to create app folders/drawers quite a bit.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    2nd you can do over the air updates for it. It's under settings.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Anyone upgraded to iOS 6 yet? Lots of nice improvements, but the maps are atrocious. Just ask Hitler.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have a 5, so I have no choice but to use iOS6. Haven't made much use of the maps yet; I used them to find a single destination so far, and that was no problem. I haven't tried looking for anything outlandish yet.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    idevices can do everything OTA now. You don't really need iTunes anymore. :)

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Don't think I'll make the upgrade. iPhone 4's showing it's age, can't afford an upgrade, and I don't want to slow it down any more. Plus I'm not even sure what's supposed to be interesting about iOS 6. Someone try and sell it to me without mentioning Siri or the maps.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    All the Best New Features of iOS 6
    The panorama feature is pretty neat but there's no "killer ap" feature that makes upgrading a must IMO. Not that it stopped me from doing it anyway :p

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    FaceTime over 3 and 4G, plus iTunes Match streaming.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I like the facebook integration (hugely overdue!) and I like the Siri updates (mostly because now you can search for locations in the US without being forced to use Miss American English--I prefer the British English "butler" voice) buuuut if I still had my old iPhone, I probably would not have been in a terrible hurry to update the software.

12. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    This may not be available depending on your carrier and pricing plan.

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Still a feature that anybody with AT&T or Verizon can utilize. Verizon in particular; if you already have them there's no modification required.

And seriously, if you can't handle a smartphone bill, you probably shouldn't be sinking 150 to 200 bucks into a phone in the first place :p

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I like the expanded features for Siri as well. Especially app launching. Doesn't seem to work with trendy garbage spelling, though-as far as Siri is concerned, Waze does not exist on my phone.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, AT&T won't allow it. And not that I care so much anyway: I've never used face time.

I'm annoyed that iOS6 still displays HDSPA+ (or whatever that is) as "4G" instead of just leaving it as a more genuine "3G." the 5 will display actual 4G as "LTE" which is fine, but some people still think the 4S is a 4G phone when it's not, or that they're gettinf 4G in coverage areas that don't have LTE when they're not. Real 4G is pretty amazing (16mbps downstream with just three bars? yipes!).

16. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Don't have Siri, never use FaceTime, and I still don't even use the Twitter integration, so I don't see the point in FB integration for me. The panorama feature would be pretty cool, but if I'm not mistaken, that's not available for the 4 either. So as far as I can see, this update won't do anything except make my aging hardware run slower.

I'm more interested in iOS 7. WIDGETS.

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, that's ATT'S doing. I'm not really sure why they bother, I imagine most people who even pay attention to what that says knows what kind of service they have in their area anyway.

I've never used FaceTime much either, but now that it can work from anywhere, I might. I'll see if the complaining the various net neutrality people are doing about AT&T restricting it to people who have shared data does anything first.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    If you have a 4, IoS 6 isn't going to be slowing down your phone any. My wife has a 4 and it works fine.

19. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Also I love how many apps are locking users out of updates/downloads unless iOS 6 is installed. $$$$$$$$$$

20. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Verizon yes, but not so with AT&T. I still have an individual unlimited data plan that I'm grandfathered into from back when AT&T still offered such a thing and I cannot use facetime over cellular unless I switch to one of their "Mobile Share Plans". Something that would increase my bill size dramatically unless I went with only 1GB a month and I know I use more than that. I basically get screwed because I'm not sharing my plan with another phone

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, why would you, as an app developer, continue spending money developing on an outdated platform? And since new app downloads are always the most recent version...

There are legitimate complaints, but that one there is not one.

22. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Common courtesy. Would it be difficult (on Apple's part) to relocate the user to an older, compatible version of the app?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you're looking for support for older operating systems, backwards compatibility, and respect for legacy users, please visit Microsoft today. :p

Just sayin'--this has been Apple's MO for ages now. You wanna use their products, you gotta suck up their tyrannical control over every aspect of how you use it.

24. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    True, it's nothing new, but I don't think that means it's not worth questioning.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    How are they making money by not updating though? iOS6 is fre...