main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Awww, I actually really liked Dorne. All of the Sand Snakes are badass.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I actually found the Iron Islands chapters to be rather interesting, particularly the Kingsmoot. Those silly Ironborn don't want to acknowledge their ancestral ties to the first men, despite the A) presence of wargs on the western isles (Damphair mentions them warging into seals and orcas) and B) the theory that the bones of Old Nagga are actually a giant petrified weirwood grove.

And then there's Cersei's chapters. The drunker she gets, the more hilariously inept and deluded she becomes. I can't WAIT for those scenes in the show.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    agree with everyone about dany's chapters in adwd. torture. also, people are fond of saying her story and jon's kind of mirror each other. yeah, he pretty much did nothing in that whole book too, except make some bad decisions and then get stabbed. well i guess he did chop off janos slynt's head, that moment was pretty badass. hopefully both their stories pick up in the next one, but with martin i've learned to prepare myself for disappointment.

4. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Jon brought the Free Folk south of the Wall so that A) The Wall could be garrisoned and B) they wouldn't die up there and assault the Wall as wights; negotiated with the Iron Bank to ensure that the Watch and the Free Folk don't starve; executed Janos Slynt; saved Stannis Baratheon from certain doom; ensured that Bolton's flunkies couldn't take control of Karhold through Alys Karstark and managed to turn one of his biggest Free Folk opponents, the Thenns, into his friends; and managed to win the allegiance of the Free Folk. When he gets resurrected, Jon would make a phenomenal King in the North. Jon got stabbed by a coward who was more interested in appeasing the Lannisters and hating wildlings than actually doing his damn duty. Nowhere in the Night's Watch vows does it actually say that the Watch "takes no part", and in any case the mutual neutrality between the Watch and the Seven Kingdoms has been violated by the Lannisters and their flunkies several times. Tywin intended to let the Wall fall so that the Starks would have to contend with Wildlings, Amory Lorch assaulted and murdered Yoren, and we see how Cersei planned to have Jon assassinated. Everything Jon did in book 5, he did to ensure the Watch's ability to do its job. I can't wait for Book 6 to begin with Bowen getting clobbered by either Wun Wun or Tormund.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't imagine what the show people are going to do with Dany. They're already growing restless with her sitting in Qarth for a season. They have NO idea what they're in store for...

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    rc, all that said, his chapters were still really boring. :p

7. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Well, to each their own [face_peace] I do fault him for never making much effort to explain his decisions to Marsh and co. It doesn't excuse them putting on the Night's Watch adaptation of Julius Caesar, but he could have explained things a bit.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i agree with you there, and i think he should have listened to mel more even though she misinterpreted the vision of the girl on the dying horse. i think the decision to let the wildlings through the wall made sense, but you could understand the resentment of the other black brothers who had been manning the wall and fighting wildlings most of their lives. jon's time with wildlings gave him a perspective that the others simply don't have.

9. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Ugh. Yes, this. See, I actually like Dany's chapters overall. I like how in the books, she's actually learning how to govern and so on. In the show, they don't show that, at all, really. I've seen criticisms online where people just see her as shouting about things with no substance to back up what she's saying and I wish they would stop mis-characterizing her on the show. Also, I really like when she meets up with Barristan Selmy and finds out who he is. I love the history lessons he gives her and how she has all these romanticized notions of her family members, which Selmy either discredits or affirms.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I think the show's done a great job with the book-to-screen thing, but you really can't see Dany GROW. It's easy to forget that she's 14(+) and doing this for the first time. She has no real family left and is running with what she's given. And she learns a lot about the world, and herself.

So while the Dany chapter in ADwD was a bit ridiculous and seemingly unneeded, it was also good. We really see her state of mind and how this game has aged her quickly and her understanding that the world doesn't seem to care about Targaryans. She couldn't hold on to her dragons, so why would anyone fear what they can't see?

I have a feeling she's going to come back roaring, which would be great. I enjoy her story.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I can't wait for Selmy to come back to the show. :D

RC-1991 likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I greatly enjoy Selmy (my second favorite character) and I like the history lessons he gives. Dany herself is tedious, wearisome, immature, and stupid.

I used to be a big fan of hers. I know better now.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You're just upset she slept with Daario.

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Barristan is awesome! That look when Cersei tears up King Robert's will really sums up the character: honourable and loyal. I think his ADwD POV chapters were my favourites.

GenAntilles likes this.
  15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Part of what makes Barristan the Bold so enjoyable is how he is constantly underestimated as being just some old guy whose glory days are past. IIRC when he confronts Hizdahr, Hizdahr only allows him into the room on the condition that he come alone, as Hizdahr the Lorax thinks that this old man can be easily overpowered by his guards.

Barristan could have given Hizdahr the soldiers that he had brought with him, and he still would have cut through them all like a hot knife through cheese. I really, really want him to survive the battle of Meereen, though I have to question whether he will. GRRM is planning to cull the POV characters... :(

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Dorne lapsed in the middle but eventually regained my interest.

And all this talk of Dany's inactivity made me have a terrible thought: what if she never went to Westeros? What if she became the Queen of Essos somehow? :( I can so see it going like this: "She had never stepped foot on Westeros, and never would. She was Queen of Meereen, Yunkai, Astapor, Volantis, Vaes Dothrak, Lys and Tyrosh, and all the Free Cities; the Queen of Essos: Daenerys Stormborn Targaeryn."

[face_nail_biting]

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    That's not a bad fate in a series like this. Not at all.

Jello, I expected such calumnies from the rabble, but not from you. For shame. [face_not_talking]

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    My preferred endgame is an independent kingdom of the North, ruled by King Jon the Black/Undying/Know-Nothing. Dany can keep her pyramids and dragons. And if that actually happens, I'm not sure if I will be overjoyed that Martin actually fulfilled my wish or disappointed that I was actually able to predict how the series ends.

Dany's arrival in Westeros is going to be rather interesting, however. The Dornish will likely side with Aegon, not Dany- Dany would be seen as having some responsibility for Quentyn's death, and the Dornish aren't exactly a forgiving people. And Aegon's plans seem to coincide with Doran's great big revenge scheme. If Dany comes in and starts her bit about how she will "take what is hers", we will end up with another Dance of Dragons. She's also likely to arrive with a coalition of those most alien or despised by the Westerosi- Unsullied, mercenaries, Ironborn, Dragons, Dothraki, the Imp...

19. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I dunno. I think that Doran Martell knew the dangers in sending Quentyn. I also think that Varys might have something up his sleeve that will help her.

Also, yeah, I <3 Selmy.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000

And you like Sansa.

I'm sorry, does not compute.

[​IMG]

PointGiven likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Dany's a revolutionary thug. A brute. A caudillo. She's monstrous.

Sansa is a lady. She is civilized.

PointGiven and RC-1991 like this.
  22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ah, so as long as someone is tedious, wearisome, immature and stupid in a civilised way, it's fine. Gotcha.

Oh, and naïve, I forgot naïve. I kept waiting for Sansa to grow out of it, as you had assured me that she would, but five books on I still haven't seen a change in that regard. I guess she's just that thick. Oh well.

23. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I think it's perfectly fine for a girl of her age to be "naive". I'm pretty sure that I've already said this about Sansa in this thread, but I think that for someone her age she is acting the way she should be and perhaps even better. She does a very good job of playing along while at court to protect herself and in the case of Petyr Bhaelish, I also don't think blame can be found there, in that it's not easy to see Bhaelish's hand in things as well as not being able to predict what he'll do.

24. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yes, seriously. Entire forums on the internet are devoted to figuring out Littlefinger's methods and goals, and yet we call Sansa stupid for being no smarter than any of the rest of us?

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm not saying she should magically see through Littlefinger's plots. I'm saying that despite everything that has happened to her, she still has these ridiculous romantic notions about knights in shining armour that are queuing up to save a damsel in distress (i.e. her). Good grief, hasn't she spent enough time at the court and among Lannisters? She should know better by now! Even Arya was quicker on the uptake. By the end of AFOC she's still the same idiotic naïve little girl she was at the beginning of AGOT. She hasn't evolved one bit.

And she's so passive! Seriously, she does absolutely nothing, she just lets herself be carried by the plot, without any initiative of her own whatsoever. The most she does is finding the "path of the least resistance" - be a good girl, do as you're told, etc. And it's not a "biding her time" plot on her part - there's nothing in her POV chapters that would suggest a clever plan of patient waiting for the right time to act. She's just so bland. And stupid.