main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub KOTOR/SWTOR Fanclub

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Skywalker_T-65, Sep 3, 2012.

1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Just to get the ball rolling (and have some advertising in my sig), I've adopted "Brevet Captain," but I was thinking more along the lines of:

Hapless Assistant to Admiral Onasi
    Malak's Jester
    Bastila and Satele Shan Doormat

etc, etc ;)

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Looks good to me, not that I know much about these games.

So how about a reason why some of you like KOTOR over SWTOR?

3. Oddball Fluxrifle

Oddball Fluxrifle Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2012
    I've got to admit that I absoloutley hated KOTOR, But I was very young and didn't truly understand it! I kept getting stuck with the rakghoul zone, I was scared of them! :(

Lost the game now though, I wanted to go and try it again... Now I stick with SWTOR.

4. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Oh, yes, I was hoping to start some of those - sort of "My characters in KotOR vs my characters in SWtOR" and "My party members and torrid romance stories" etc.

I personally prefer KotOR (especially II) over SWtOR because the close-ended nature of the story allows for more impact by the player. Your romance, relationship, alignment - all of these choices actually affect the ending in significant ways.

Also, the gameplay of the KotOR games, particularly the levelling, is much more engaging. SWtOR is a bunch of inventory management (trying to have enough stuff, upgrade items, sell stuff, send crew on errands) that feels like a ton of paperwork. This is supposed to be a game! While KotOR has both so many and so few options that you have to choose very carefully what powers, gear, feats, skills, companions, and quests you want to do. I think I'm proudest of my KotOR I character where I managed to beat the entire game with blasters (which required two full hours of level planning, gear research, and skill optimizing) - and the hilarious fact that I stay at level 2 for all of Taris, which meant a lot of main character deaths and relying on Canderous and Zaalbar. I still remember trying to desperately run away on the sole instance that I was actually supposed to fight, letting Bastila do all the work. Which makes my "I rescued you" speech all the funnier.

There's just nothing like that in SWtOR. The Sith Inquisitor has Ashara Zavros, the Jedi padawan you can either corrupt to the dark side or encourage in the light - and that storyline and relationship is a fun memory. But I was never truly that engaged with the strategy of getting to her and advancing her plot. Probably because, instead of figuring out what the best gear, powers, and such were to get her, I just had to keep sending people on missions and selling junk I picked up off the ground in order to gain influence with her. There was nothing like Visas Marr, former Sith apprentice who if you talk with her and exemplify the light enough, will actually swing from evil to light and begin doing good on her own initiative. Instead, all your characters are stuck in a fairly narrow range of "good" or "bad" behavioral ranges, with change hinging on pre-scripted pivot points instead of a gradual character relationship change.

That being said, I can't play KotOR with my friends four states away. So SWtOR definitely has that going for it. I do love bulling through enemies with a healer at my back, or mowing down evil forces in a squad of troopers. That kind of actual cooperation isn't found in KotOR, and is one of the things I genuinely cherish about the new game.

5. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    The rakghoul zone is a pain first time through. And oddball, the game is available on steam now.

I haven't played through TOR much yet. I still love kotor2.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk 6

6. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I'd say Taris itself is a pain the first time through. There's something annoying about starting zones...I feel the same way about Peragus/Telos as well.

7. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    I loved playing KOTOR/KOTOR II, I'm not much of a gamer but these were actually games even I could play without getting too much frustrated.
    Although the Rakghoul were... not nice... still at some point I got through it.

I loved about KOTOR/KOTOR II that the story was so... exciting and there are a lot of options. You never know, if changing one thing will change something in the end or not.

Considering SWTOR I'm afraid I'm just not fair.
    I don't like online games, so I don't play SWTOR, I just read the comics.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  8. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    What are your thoughts on the comics? I've only read Threat of Peace.

9. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    I have/read all of them. My only complaint is that unlike Legacy the Art was not consistent. But I have been enjoying the storylines.

10. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Interesting. I enjoy the concepts, but the first one was so disjointed and rushed (trying to tell the story in three-page chunks is a very, very bad structural idea, I think) that I just couldn't care about what was happening.

11. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Threat of Peace is about one of the most important events in the entire Star Wars universe, but it was too rushed, well from one page and adventure to the next in a few seconds.

Blood of the Empire shows the Sith Empire and Sith and gives us information about them, while this was a bit boring. I lack the last issue and don't know the end.

I read them both as printed single issues, but they were originally released as free webcomics on the official SWTOR homepage and are still aviable there.

The Lost Suns was OK, nothing more. I had to torture myself through two issues, but the other three and the comic at all were OK.

And this is my 100th posting, yay!

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  12. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    I liked the SWTOR comics, they were interesting to read, but nothing more, for me at least. The comics didn't attract me like other comics did in the past, making me crave for more.

13. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I agree - I think there's a lot of depth to the world, but it's not taken advantage of in the same way that the Empire, or X-Wing comics were able to do. I think part of it is the ruinous speed, but part of it is also the fact that they're not developing characters who can sustain the same kinds of emotional journeys - instead relying on lots of events happening to them to try to distract from the fact that they're basically just going through the motions of action.

14. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    What I really enjoy are the preview trailers... it makes me wish that they would do a full on movie in the same style.

15. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Considering their abilities and previous movies made years ago off weaker programs/equipment, I am somewhat surprised that they haven't.

CPL_Macja likes this.
  16. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I agree. The trailers have the best lightsaber combat and use of emotional hooks I've seen from visual Star Wars for a while. I'd love a webseries like that.

So, no one has silly titles for me to put in my sig other than "Brevet Captain?"

17. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Sorry, been a little too busy to spelunk my copies of the game :(

18. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I love the storyline in KOTOR which is my favorite game. It's been forever since i played it.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    So, I gather from ToR that the Cold War lasts eleven years, and then the war starts again outright.

*Spoilers*

The Sith win Taris, but lose Balmorra. Alderaan is trapped in perpetual civil war, and then 10% of the Sith navy is destroyed at the Battle of Corellia following a concerted effort by Jedi from Duro, Kinyen, Orto and Ryloth, the Chancellor's own fleet from Coruscant, assistance from the Rift Alliance and forces from Balmorra... all the while the Sith tear each other apart, killing off much of the Dark Council, and the Jedi and Republic launch a splinter force from Corellia to feint at Drommund Kaas, allowing the Sith Emperor to be defeated. The Republic and Sith do, however, destroy the rogue Darth Malgus at Ilum, and the Sith also defeat Revan.

In short... the Sith definitely come off worse from the opening engagements of the Second Galactic War.

20. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, they kind of have to, given how badly they beat the Republic at the beginning of the Cold War.

Also, if TOR is shooting for an OT type structure, that might be reversed in the second major storyline, and then sort of wrapped up in the third.

We'll have to see how Annihilation turns out.

21. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Since I'm back...anything new?

22. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Nup. I think most people are waiting for Annihilation and the Free To Play in November.

Also, no one wants to give me a silly title for being temporary leader! Do you want to either 1) give me a silly title, or 2) be leader?

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Personally I liked the second one.:p

But now that I'm back it would be more of a 'second in command' thing.

24. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Hey, I'm only the Brevet Captain (since no one liked "Bastila's Bringer of Peeled Grapes"). Which means now that you're back, if you want the job, I'd be happy to think of silly titles for you as leader, instead ;)

25. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Oh boy. That should be fun.:p