main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Apple/Mac discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I mean it's not bad, it just doesn't have outlandish locations like the entire city of Stratford-Upon-Avon :p

Also the iTunes music sync thing? Google Music has been synching your iTunes for free for over a year. Yes, Google updated iTunes better than Apple :p

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Ex: people who own the original iPad (doesn't support iOS 6) can no longer download many apps at all. They're not even presented with older, compatible versions available. It's Apple's way of nudging people to replace two year old portable computers, and I don't think it's right.

solojones and Darth Guy like this.
  3. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I'm on the same boat as Bacon with my iPhone 4 and was wondering whether I should update to iOS6, if only to make that pesky red number go away. It its not going to slow it down then I probably will.

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Goootcha.

Morella, I have a 4 (not 4s) and just updated, and my phone seems to be running faster. At least it's more responsive.

5. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Same here, I updated my phone the other day and it has been moving smoothly!

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    This maps things doesn't seem like that big of a deal, surely some software updates will iron out the kinks in it. People should by now expect phones they get within the first month or so to have bugs, if not they were living under a rock when attennaegate hit. Odd though that Apple would stray from Google Maps given they are the definitive map now, and TomTom satnav sucks anyway so it's no wonder the thing can't find where you are or invents new places :p

Will be useful for those outside the US to have a Siri that hopefully works properly now.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's not just a software issue. Yeah, some things are glitches. They might be able to patch some of it, though I have no idea, they seem to have so many incorrect POIs that I'm not sure that's really a patch issue. They might have to correct all those individually, which could take... I don't know. Years? Google has spent probably a decade mapping things out, and they have the infrastructure and vehicles to do it. What does Apple have? Map data bought from Tom Tom that's clearly inferior and not working with their system.

But the bigger issue is that Apple simply doesn't have the data that Google does on streets all over the world. They don't show you all the street names, so you can't see what streets you're near. For many areas, they just have blank spaces. For instance, users in Grand Cayman now have absolutely no maps data, whereas Google has the whole country mapped.

Even for areas where they do have stuff mapped out, they don't have nearly as much information. The map view doesn't show you if a street is one-way, for instance, which in some cities is a really big deal.

8. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    solojones Nah, maps shows 1 way streets. I just tested it.

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    This.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, this map is telling this person to make a right... on the train tracks 0_o

[​IMG]

Maybe for LA because it's LA, but I've seen lots of shots of lots of other cities, and these weren't marked. And in the UK for instance it doesn't show the difference between A roads, B roads, etc. They just simply don't have nearly as much data in as many places, and they are years behind where they need to be. But they're doing what Apple does and forcing customers to use their software only. This is exemplary of why I have grown to hate Apple. They could care less about inovation. They only want a monopoly on everything. It's not at all about having a good product, it's just about having control. That's bad for the consumer, as we're seeing now with the iMaps debacle.

EDIT: This is what I mean about detail and data. Look at Seoul. And it's not like this is a small city.
    [​IMG]

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I suppose if iOS wasn't, y'know, second in the smart phone market I'd see this as really bad for the consumer, but given the prevalence of Android and the fact that iOS 6 is on its .0.0 release while 5.1.1 is working just fine - you know what, at that point you're kind of asking for it if you decide you "have" to upgrade. Early adopters are always the distributed beta test. Always.

12. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I just downloaded both iOS6 for my iPhone 4 and Mountain Lion for Macbook Pro. So far, so good. Except that my Facebook app on my phone won't let me connect to the iPhone so I can't post statuses from my notification center. Also, you're supposed to be able to do the same thing on Mountain Lion and I can't see how you do that...

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But Ramza, the thing is, that's still a lot of people with iOS. And since they try to force you into upgrading by refusing to support older versions of the operating system, people are being pushed towards an OS that has a far inferior map system. The map system is one of the most important uses of smartphones. I can't imagine how many people are going to be late to things now because their phone takes them to the complete wrong place.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I could understand the rationale that customers were being pushed into iOS 6* if we were, like, a month into this... but we're not. It's been five days. Which is well within my "You have brought this on yourself" approach to tech difficulties. I would frankly be a lot more surprised if iMaps was working more or less issue free. I mean, this right here? This is the real issue. Apple geeks have somehow gotten it into their heads that they need to be on the ground floor of every serious OS alteration in a way that's honestly not necessary for the vast majority of consumers - particularly with respect to a phone/iPod. Which, I guess, props to the Apple advertising department for creating that kind of brand loyalty, but if these people had waited a day they would've seen these issues and known not to upgrade until the kinks are sorted out.

... Or until Google just makes a map app anyway because Google likes money enough to want to do that. Y'know, either/or.

Edit: *And what does that even mean? I'm running freaking iOS 3 on my iPod and I can still run a good chunk of the apps out there. It's not like your device locks up and becomes unusable the instant it's one upgrade out of date.

15. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I've heard you can also use Google Maps via Safari.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That phrasing would make me suspect they've already submitted it and thus it's Apple that's holding it up in a traditional corporate display of being incredibly immature. :p

But again - then why not just wait? Or switch to Android? Or just generally not upgrade to iOS 6?

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well because evidently a lot of apps are not longer supported now on the older iOS versions. And because Apple has done a good job convincing its lemmings to upgrade all the time whether they need it or not. Both my roommates upgraded for no reason, and now have sucky maps to show for it. But hey, everyone's doing it!

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I read somwhere that google had NOT submitted one yet. But apparently they're planning to: NY Times article.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think they should. Partly because it's just their company philosophy to try to make all things available to everyone for free. But mostly because it would put Apple in a hell of a jam. It gives them the option of:

A) Allowing the app, which everyone will get because it's better than iMaps. Apple would be acknowledging that Google's version is better and acquiescing to people gleefully jumping ship.

B) Blocking the app, which everyone will be pissed about because it's better than iMaps. Apple would be acknowledging that Google's version is better but would force everyone to use their crap anyway.

Obviously B is much more Apple, but we'll see. Either way, it's really not even a competition. Whether or not you're okay getting around with iMaps, it objectively has much worse data and plotting than Google Maps. Which, again, makes sense because this is what Google has focused on for years. Apple is trying to jump in like a college freshman wanting to suit up in the NFL. They just are not remotely there yet, and they shouldn't have pulled the ripcord until they were. But of course, they are on a mad quest to monopolize everything, so...

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    ... Really? I haven't had any difficulties with my astronomically old iPod iOS and the usual suspects - facebook and the like. Though on the flip side I barely use that sucker for anything other than music and emergency internet browsing.

Well, at least we agree on that front. :p

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm mostly going off what people have been saying in this thread.

23. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Google have an opportunity with this if they so choose to get people to defect to Android because they could make their maps exclusive to that OS. Always seems odd to me that rivals who want to topple Apple's market dominance are lettting Apple have all their stuff. If you have a good piece of software why give it to a rival? It's the same with Microsoft and their offering of Office to the iPad. If they are about to release a rival tablet to take on Apple having Office exclusive to it and not available on Apple stuff would be a big selling point that might help them get ahead. Yet they don't do it, and then wonder why they lag behind Apple.

Also, the 3D effect of the iMap system will undoubtedly be enough to convince the iFlock that it is worth it. Always the look it is with them, functionality be damned.

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    In both cases, I assume they've calculated that the gain they would make in reducing Apple's overall market share is more than offset by the profits they make selling their products to Apple users.