main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What would make you stop reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 27, 2012.

1. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I'll answer both questions here...

Because I still believe, despite it all, that the Expanded Universe is one of the greatest and most complete fictional settings ever created. Even as the quality of the "modern" Luke-era stories where I spent the most of my time has fallen of a cliff, the other eras have become more dynamic and interesting. Also, the Essential Guides have done a better job than anything I've seen before in involving the fanbase in expanding and improving the universe's lore. A good chunk of the people here got named in the acknowledgements in the best book to come out under the Star Wars banner since Mindor. How cool is that?

As for why I've stopped reading - The ending of Legacy of the Force. I'd grown up Jacen, and he had been (at least post-Traitor) my favorite character of the NJO. As such, I was actually excited by Betrayal. I had grown up always knowing that Vader was Luke's dad and that he was redeemed in the end. Because of this, I (and my generation of fans) lacked both an Empire Stirkes Back moment and any real mystery about what Anakin would become in the Prequels. LotF, though, promised a bold jump into an unpredictable future. Here was our chance to see a character we had seen grow up and grown up with, from the Thrawn books to the Corellian Trilogy to the YJK, walking down the road to hell. Jacen was to be my Anakin Skywalker.

But the execution of the series was all wrong, and the conclusion moreso. Jacen's death seemed more out of a "dark for darknesses sake" 90's comic book than the optimistic-despite-it-all Star Wars universe. Then there was the shear stupid factor. The Republic (already renamed) rolling back into being an Empire? Luke somehow sacrificing Mandolorian lives for no explainable reason? Jaina getting beat in a swordfight by a Mando? Daala not only being a key player again, but Chief of friggin' State?

Hamill said it best on Robot Chicken. "Look, if you're not going to this seriously, I'm out."

2. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Gotta agree with this one, especially after reading the thing in the Essential Reader's.. thread about Denning's pitch for a different LotF ending re: flow-walking. Flow-walking is ridiculous enough by itself. Actually being able to bring people back to life would completely kill... well, I can't exactly say 'believability' here, but you know what I mean. If they're going to write gruesome and unpopular plots, they should at least stick by them.

Sadly enough, as the EU timeline currently stands, the only thing otherwise that would make me just stop reading is if they abandon Jag, Jaina, and (eventually) the Imperial Remnant side of things. I honestly have no interest in Ben and Allana, as far as the Solo-Skywalker line goes, and the Big Three have to stop being main protagonists eventually... right?
    That isn't to say that I wouldn't still gladly enjoy a good non-Solo/Skywalker oriented book. We need more Mercy Kills. But in terms of the more mainstream plotline... yeah.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I actually didn’t read LOTF/FOTJ, friend of mine got the audio books, because I am sure if I tried reading those I would have kept chucking the novels at the wall. Same goes for novels set in the Sith Wars eras beside the first Darth Bane novel (which I blame for me not caring for other novels in that era).

4. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    It's scary. I used to be able to read the Star Wars EU over and over. Especially if I really liked the novel. BUt lately I find it hard to even read new Star Wars books. Mercy Kill was good, I love Wraith Squadron. It still took me 9 days to finish.

I hope it is just a faze. I really want to get back into the EU. I decided to start from the beginning. First up Revan.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have Deceived sitting on my shelf, waiting for me to read it. Hadn't started it, yet. Not sure why.

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, I decided not to buy FotJ at all, though I did read them thanks to friends copies and the library. I doubt I will stop reading, but i have pretty much cut back on buying. Exceptions for Zahn, Lucento, and Mercy Kill.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I see I have been summoned.

8. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    I refuse to read anything after The Unifying Force.

9. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    KKR = Hav's berserk button?

10. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Even if they stop writing new, interesting, ones I'll continue to re-read the ones I've already bought and enjoyed! Currently going over "Survivor's Quest" for the umpteenth time!

11. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I might buy Scoundrels,as Zahn is one of the best SW writers, but I've decided not to be lead by the nose by LFLs marketing anymore. They've been promising a 'new direction for Star Wars' since TUF and instead have had horrible plot lines that only spin their wheels. They had their chance to give us the storylines that we all desperately wanted to see, and they gave us...bugs. I agree with a previous poster: What will they have to do to make me START reading again?

12. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd stop reading if they stop publishing.

Force Smuggler and cthugha like this.
  13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    the continued defamation of Luke and his legacy would do it for me.

14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The greatest crime of the EU is that she never got invited back to do another book. They should have just had her write the entire NJO. Instead of the Yuuzhan Vong, the galaxy could have been attacked by droids with bombs inside them. Then everyone would blame it on Han.

Havac , instantdeath, cthugha and 2 others like this.
  15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I found it to be rather dull, so you aren't really missing out on much.

JediMatteus and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So the defamation thus far has been tolerable, but one more would put you over the edge? :p

JediMatteus likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It would take an awful lot of absolutely unavoidable dreck to cause me to cease interest in the EU completely.

Like with Marvel and DC comics, like with Trek, I don't buy anywhere near as much as I used to but, every now and again, an interesting work that brings something fresh and new turns up, sometimes a book, sometimes a comic.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The funny thing about Marvel is that I could never read all of it, so it's easier to pick and choose. Star Wars' output is big, but not so huge that I'm not still convinced I can more or less keep up--which only makes it harder to stop outright.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, SW output has got to the point where I no longer bother to keep up with it all - the one area where I do keep up? DHC TPBs!

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's been a losing battle with me for a few years now, but I still harbor my illusions, thank you very much.

21. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    I suppose it would have to be something like every title coming out being of a standard I didn't like (say Jedi Trial or The Approaching Storm) or a decision to throw out continuity/reboot/set everything on Hoth.

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I can dig it. Maybe this time, Cole Fardreamer can have wacky adventures babysitting the Solo kids, instead of the droids!

TrakNar likes this.
  23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    And we could finally see more of the 56 new alien species introduced in The New Rebellion that were never used by anyone ever again.

zenji needle likes this.
  24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Point me in the direction of a few dozen of them and I'll give them sketch cards. :p

25. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Has anyone used the Glottalphibs? Because frog-dragons are one thing this setting doesn't have enough of.