main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC FOX News airs live suicide

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I saw it. Things like this are bound to happen eventually. Shep did all he could. That said if they hadn't have made such a big deal about it and just cut away I don't think it would've seen as bad. If I hadn't been told the guy shot himself I wouldn't have known.

3. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    How about that station in Philadelphia that aired the extremely graphic Budd Dwyer suicide on tape delay hours after it had occurred. Insanity.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    No less should be expected from something run by Rupert Murdoch.

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Honestly the same thing could've happened on MSNBC or CNN. It being Fox has nothing to do with it. It being a news channel does.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think we should start a thread when rush limbaugh, nancy grace or fox news does something compassionate or says something intelligent. do we need a new thread every time one of these entities acts like themselves?

7. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    +1 tom.
    send this shizz to wacky news.

8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    My eyes have deteriorated too far to find waldo anymore, so I think I'll just have to sit out for this game/challenge.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    My eyes are still relatively good, but yeah needle in a haystack.

10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember reading somewheres (maybe Wikipedia) that the day that aired was a snow day in parts of Philadelphia, so kids at home saw it as it happened. That, and some news stations replayed the footage, usually on the 11 o'clock news.

11. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm kinda surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. Given how often you still see technical difficulties on life tv, I can see how it would be easy for someone to get distracted and not flip a switch in time or properly. (not saying that was the case here, but it makes me wonder.)

GenAntilles likes this.
  12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I heard the audio to this. Ouch but yeah, homer mistake.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    That was probably the case here. If you don't watch closely you wouldn't even know what he had done until a few seconds later and then add in the time to stop it and it's already too late. I mean I saw what happened, it looked like it was out of a PG movie, probably caught them off guard out of how subdued it was.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know, I'm all for ragging on Fox News, because they often deserve it, but this isn't really so much "LOL FOX" as an inevitable consequence of live news reporting. It's unfortunate that people who haven't had to watch something like that happen now get to feel the "joy" of everyone who's seen BuddDwyer.gif, nothing more.

That said, I fully expect someone's ass is canned. :p

ShaneP likes this.
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think this is being somewhat overhyped. Firstly, this isn't a Fox News thing... it just happens sometimes. I remember this happened to 3 news channels in LA when I was in jr high. End of a car chase the guy got out of the car on an overpass and shot himself during live coverage.

The bigger issue, imo, is more why Fox is covering a car chase, but that's largely a thing about needing to fill time, I suspect.

ShaneP and DarthTunick like this.
  16. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  17. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Has this been the first time we heard a Fox News host draw from sincere, honest emotion, like Shepard Smith just did in that clip? He handled the situation well.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Shepard Smith is pretty much a honest, sincere guy (at least onscreen), one of the few on FOX news (He was one of the first reporters I can recall that called out the government's handling of Katrina when that mess was unfolding). I keep waiting for the day where he gets fed up with how FOX is run and quit live on TV.

solojones likes this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    And throws his chair through the backdrop...or HD TVs like they have on every station now.

Used to be cheap canvas with a logo, but now it's expensive electronics.

20. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    A good friend of mine went out like that. He was being chased by the SWAT team and all that and ended up in a secluded place just like that guy and did the same thing. Stupid news helicopters...I'm sorry his family had to see that.

21. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    So the viewing audience wasn't on the 5 second delay, but Smith was?

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    As much as that would be awesome, I doubt he'd end up doing that. He'd likely say something to the effect of "and this is my last show, thank you to the audience for all your support over the years." and walk off the set.

At least with the latter scenario, it would minimize any negative effect of trying to get another job in the industry if he wanted to stay in news.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Everything Fox News says is a lie. Even when they report the truth, that truth then becomes a lie.

25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I don't know, that guy blowing his brains out looked truly dead to me....

Schrodinger's Car Chase, perhaps?