main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    He did say that. But it's a little out of context, because he knew his teachings would cause rifts in the Jewish community and set child against parent, spouse against spouse, etc.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    And what about:

1 Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or have authority over a man; she must be silent."

Or pretty much the whole book of Leviticus?

The entire Bible is full of contradictions, murder, rape, incest, and outright lies. Why anyone would want to follow such a terrible book is beyond my comprehension. Goat herders living in tents in the desert 4000 years ago have no bearing on today's world.

Darth_Invidious and VadersLaMent like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think they were strictly talking about things Jesus said. Also, just because the Bible mentions something, doesn't mean it's meant to be morally acceptable. As a Christian, I don't take all of the Bible literally, either. Catholics and Mormons also hold to doctrines that say the book is flawed, while Protestans leave it up to individual or congregational interpretation.

4. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    The Bible isn't a bag of trail mix. You can't just pick out the parts you like and ignore the rest.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I believe the term I've heard used is "Cafeteria Catholics."

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    A lot of it it doesn't just mention, it promotes. That said, that people like yourself don't take it literally (for the better, imo) is exactly why I don't think it is anyone's place to say who is, or is not a Christian based on any grounds other than the basic following of Jesus. So, I think we could all agree that there is no way I'm a Christian.... but I will fully defend the self-labeling of "Christian" by groups people like to say aren't really Christians. Like Mormons or even Westboro Baptist. If they believe the whole... Jesus is Christ thing, then that's the end of the matter, imo.

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    But what you can do is read it as a book written with a social and historical perspective, spend serious time in meditation/prayer, allow your heart to find unity in things that might not appear on their face to have unity and then attempt to govern yourself based on the part of the Bible that are truly timeless and not explicitly tied to certain moments in social history. That's what I did anyway. If you're lazy, you just ignore the parts you don't like or throw the whole thing out based on the fact that some of it is difficult. For me, I had to take a longer route, but I knew from the moments I first read the words of Christ, that I couldn't throw the book out whole cloth just because there were things that were difficult to reconcile with a more modern perspective.

Also, the Bible doesn't promote a lot of the things people says it promotes. It doesn't promote polygamy; it shows why polygamy is a fool's errand by detailing several horrible polygamous marriages. Jephthah killing his daughter is another fine example; the Bible never says God told Jephthah to do so and the story is included in the latter chapters of Judges detailing what happened when "every man did what was right in his own eyes," namely, a time when everyone was doing what they wanted and things were pretty hellish. If you actually read many of those troublesome passages, you realize that they aren't that troublesome in their own right, but only in the fact that they've been misinterpreted or misread by a lot of people. There are, of course, legitimately troubling passages. And I don't pretend that I've gotten them all reconciled; I still struggle with some of them. Homosexuality, for one, is an issue that I'm profoundly uncomfortable with the Bible's teachings on. I just don't get it. I also don't vote based on the fact that the Bible says that homosexuals are sinners; against people that are for civil unions or gay marriage or what have you. I support gay marriage, frankly. You can't fix it so people have less rights just because the Bible says they're sinners. I mean, that would be EVERYbody in one way or another . . .

I consider myself both intelligent and a Christian. I think it's possible. I wish it was more pervasive; some days the stupids are just everywhere you look. But then no one writes news stories about Christians like me.

Also, in my previous post, I did not necessarily mean that a Christian could only vote Democratic; that would be as stupid as the people saying a Christian could only vote Republican. I was more saying that these issues are more complicated than "If you vote for X, then you are going to hell." Everyone has to work those things through for themselves and you can't just make blanket statements like that if you want to keep my respect.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dear Akin,

I would like to thank you for allowing me to add to my post count.

Here you go

3- This is quite the kicker. Abortion facilities, in Akin's mind, perform abortions on women who aren't even pregnant (huh?) and also cheat on their taxes -- both of which, he notes, are part of a "culture of death."
    And what sort of places do these bottom-of-the-food-chain doctors work in? Places that are really a pit. You find that along with the culture of death go all kinds of other law-breaking: not following good sanitary procedure, giving abortions to women who are not actually pregnant, cheating on taxes, all these kinds of things, misuse of anesthetics so that people die or almost die...

Giving abortions to women who are not actualy preggers. You go, insane ass. You go.​

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    What exactly would be the problem with performing an abortion on a woman who wasn't pregnant? It wouldn't hurt a real fetus and if it hurts the woman, well, it's not like Akin cares about the health of the woman!

Frank T. likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

On the House Science Committee^^^.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”
    According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.
    “You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.”

[​IMG]

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  11. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, how? How does a difference of opinion about the age of the earth have anything to do with Jesus' position as son of God? I don't see a problem with believing that the age of the earth is bigger than 10,000 years and also believing that Jesus' atoning death on the cross allows me to be forgiven of my sins. I'd like to directly see the correlation between the two sketched in less vague terms, okay? I mean, seriously.

Also, that dancing thing is absolutely terrifying.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm sorry Rogue 1.5, them religious folks just make the most derp.

Arkansas Legislation candidate endorses death penalty for rebellious children

"The maintenance of civil order in society rests on the foundation of family discipline. Therefore, a child who disrespects his parents must be permanently removed from society in a way that gives an example to all other children of the importance of respect for parents. The death penalty for rebellious children is not something to be taken lightly. The guidelines for administering the death penalty to rebellious children are given in Deut 21:18-21:
    This passage does not give parents blanket authority to kill their children. They must follow the proper procedure in order to have the death penalty executed against their children. I cannot think of one instance in the Scripture where parents had their child put to death. Why is this so? Other than the love Christ has for us, there is no greater love then [sic] that of a parent for their child. The last people who would want to see a child put to death would be the parents of the child. Even so, the Scrpture provides a safe guard to protect children from parents who would wrongly exercise the death penalty against them. Parents are required to bring their children to the gate of the city. The gate of the city was the place where the elders of the city met and made judicial pronouncements. In other words, the parents were required to take their children to a court of law and lay out their case before the proper judicial authority, and let the judicial authority determine if the child should be put to death. I know of many cases of rebellious children, however, I cannot think of one case where I believe that a parent had given up on their child to the point that they would have taken their child to a court of law and asked the court to rule that the child be put to death. Even though this procedure would rarely be used, if it were the law of land, it would give parents authority. Children would know that their parents had authority and it would be a tremendous incentive for children to give proper respect to their parents. "

[​IMG]

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    No worries. They just do and that's all there is to it.

EDIT: Should I say WE just do? I hate to show solidarity with some of these people. But they're good for a laugh at least, or would be if they weren't serious, so I hate to sequester them off as "they" when we're all in the same loose faith group. Oh well, I'm overthinking again; maybe every time I overthink something, some other poor Christian fails to think something through at all. It's all about balance, I suppose.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Sorry, I'm a few days behind on this one:

The death penalty for rebellious children is not something to be taken lightly.

It has a ring to it.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004

VadersLaMent likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Those "safety bracelets" are amazing. And just remember, flying is not a right, it is a privilege.

And what do they give those Fox News anchors. We'll see if it comes back into the bloodstream. Er, what?

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Santorum: gay marriage trumps abortion

“The movement you are fighting is the most important movement to win,” Santorum added. He said it is even more important that the movement to block abortion in America. He warned that marriage will “disintegrate” along with the American family if same-sex marriage becomes legal.
    “This issue will destroy and undermine the church in American more than any other movement,” said Santorum.

He talked of a movement of “normalization, acceptance, tolerance” of the gay/lesbian lifestyle that has grown up since the mid to late 1990′s, aided by “elites” and the “popular culture.”
    “This will be the norm in America,” he said. “This is what you are fighting. You are on the front lines.”

22. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Now I wish Santorum had won the Republican nomination. The debates between him and Obama would be so hilarious!

mulberry and Darth_Invidious like this.
  23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Yes it is, and yes you can, given the numerous different authors (I Timothy and II Timothy are attributed to Paul/Saul of Tarsus/Evil SOB who went around helping to murder Christians before he became one) and the numerous books that are already absent (Tobit, Judith, Maccabees I-IV, Esdras, Esdras II, Nicodemus, etc. etc. etc. etc.)

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Why do you guys torture yourselves by reading/watching this stuff?

25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Because it's hilarious how Christians conveniently ignore the parts of the Bible they don't like and focus only on a few key verses that support their own world view.