main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.1 - Revival - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    I'm sorry to see 'Obsession' go. I really like that comic, but like it was said earlier, after Ventress' departure from the CIS, it was obvious that the story from 'Obsession' wasn't really canon anymore. We have to except what TCW does. It's either TCW or comics / novels. And I do prefer TCW if there is a choice to be made.

I do agree that it's not always necessery to kill a certain character (or bring him back to life like Eeth Koth). I also feel that the continuity gets very easily overlooked, but after what happened to Maul, you can expect anything to happen.

Garth Maul likes this.
  2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I just feel really hurt as fan I feel betrayed that they would just chuck stories out the window to sell action figures of Maul and Randy. I'm seriously considering taking a break from Star Wars EU for a while, that's how empty and disillusioned I feel about it at the moment. What have I seriously got to look forward to; Denning's disturbing post-FOTJ novels and the canon callous TCW? Why bother becoming emotionally invested in characters and stories if they're just going to be reversed and essentially strip mined by a senile Lucas and his complicit cronies in the future?

Esg, fistofan1 and Zeta1127 like this.
  3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    oh good. with every new season comes a new wave of "eu isn't canon" spouters.

CT-867-5309, Convor, Esg and 2 others like this.
  4. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    To be blunt, you're quite simply wrong. That is not the officially established canon policy, and moreover, that's not the way the Star Wars franchise works. The EU and all of the vast number of works that comprise it—whether they be novels, comics, video games, television series, or sourcebooks—are all 100% officially canon, as they're officially licensed by the LucasFilm Ltd. company. The universe they share with the films is the same, and a single over-arching narrative is told through them. It may also interest you that despite what you think, The Clone Wars is also a part of the EU, as it is not a movie, and portions of it have already been overwritten to better integrate it with the larger Star Wars universe.

Whether you like something or not is entirely your own opinion. However, I would do a bit more research were I you, before posting fundamentally inaccurate statements like that. The EU has been canon since its inception, and considering the fact that the works of the EU—not The Clone Wars, and not even the movieshave been both the narrative and financial backbone of the Star Wars franchise, that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon.

5. DaRonin

DaRonin Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2005
    At the risk of sounding vulcan, highly illogical. Something is canon, or it is not. It fits into the universe, or it does not. The EU is an elseworlds, a what if. A playground for writers and fans to indulge their curiosity. As I said, the EU is so bloated by this point, noone can can make a book that fits with everything else. Most writers cant even make their stories fit into the same series. Much less twenty years worth of games, comics, novels, rpgs, ect. thirty-five if we throw in the marvel comics series, which wasn't even considered part of the EU for a long time. Its a Jenga Puzzle held up with wires. I enjoy a portion of it, Ive read most of it, but I do accept the fact that the only thing canonical is what lucas puts his stamp on. Maybe I could accept that the EU is canon if this was not the case, But its just gotten so jumbled and nonsensical Im glad lucas isn't bothering to bring it on board. And complaining your favorite stories (never really cared for obsession) are being overwritten when many others have been as well by this point, is redundant. The EU has never been able to mesh with the films. An example would be its inability to why stories published prior to 2002 showed jedi romance and stories after them make it taboo when its supposed to be all part of the same universe. This is just one of many why by no means can the EU be considered canonical. How about winters recollection of meating c'both in the clone wars until episode 1 put the clone wars so far in the past, winter wouldn't even have been a zygote in c'boths time. Lucas doesn't pay attention to what happens in EU. Ive accepted it for a long time. Most EU writers dont care what happens in the EU so long as their stories are decent, and that is as it should be.

6. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

James Luceno can.

7. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    DaRonin, your inability to comprehend the intricacies of canon and the unified nature of the universe does not make them any less so. The official policy of the company and the franchise it manages is that the EU is absolutely canon. Neither you nor I can argue that with any true credibility. It is, once again, official policy. Not opinions; fact.

Apophis_ and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  8. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Books and comics wouldn't sell if they would be announced as being not-canon, would they? ;)

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Like I always say, the EU's going to have its way with TCW once the show's over. TCW will probably be long finished in ten years' time, but I guarantee the EU will still be alive and well.

This Obsession gaff is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

10. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Psst, we already have our version of Elseworlds. It's called Star Wars: Infinities. Also:
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]

Zeta1127, Esg, Apophis_ and 2 others like this.
  11. DaRonin

Jan 3, 2005
    except when it is not, and doesn't, right? Like Boba being a disgraced journeyman protector who went renegade, or was that an imperial storm trooper that shot his superior officer? Oh wait... And how about Lukes & Leia's mom still being alive ten years after the films and part of an alternate force cult? ummm, yah. All canon. works great. Hey, what about scads of dark jedi all over the galaxy with regular jedi hunting them down and... oh. Rule of two. Right. Hey, how about dengar and han being the same age and.... dammit. hmmmm, the IG series of droids were developed at the peak of the empire according to this one book and.... oh, hi run down IG droids in clone wars.

Yah, it all fits.

Spazmatron and cwustudent like this.
  12. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Someone clearly didn't read the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy properly. Akanah tells Luke that she lied about knowing his mother's identity. That was no retcon. Also just because you don't view the EU as canon, don't flaunt it as a fact. It isn't.

Zeta1127 and Apophis_ like this.
  13. DaRonin

Jan 3, 2005
    And the leader of the group hints strongly she's still alive and kicking at the parting. Who didn't read it properly? Or do you mean thoroughly since I only know one proper way to read a book.

Spazmatron and cwustudent like this.
  14. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    It's intentionally ambiguous, and for a certain reason. That woman mentioned could be anyone. Considering the prequels came out the following year they were never going to let anyone write the story of Luke and Leia's mother and box themselves in.

15. DaRonin

Jan 3, 2005
    Wrong again, but why bother posting the facts? This discussion has already gotten out of hand. and I dont feel like continuing a discussion with someone who refuses to admit they dont really have a solid point. I wont answer further posts, this has already gotten out of hand, and I'm surprised a mod hasn't stepped in with a warning. I'm done with this discussion. Ive made my point, and feel free to disagree now or in the future if you wish. I'll wait for more episde focused discussion before posting again

Spazmatron likes this.
  16. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm not wrong and neither are you. The women is implied to be Padme but it's never explicit, you can interpret it as you wish, so therefore you can't be wrong/right. Sure it's implied to be their mother, it doesn't mean it is her.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  17. CoraxRD

CoraxRD Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    Actually the Essential Reader's Companion would like to disagree with you on this. The only official Canon is what is on film or on your television. The EU falls under continuity that runs parallel to the official canon.

18. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Just like the old days. Insufferable as ever.

CT-867-5309 and Zeta1127 like this.
  19. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Conveniently appears after TCW has smashed its way through the CW multimedia project. o_O Nice work Lucas, nice work.

20. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Has 'Revival' already been broadcasted in the US now?

21. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    That something is licensed doesn't make it canon (the Star Trek novels and comics are licensed but not canon). However, you're of course correct that the EU is canon (although low-level and it's a question whether it really amounts to anything).

Still, the aforementioned Star Trek novels, which aren't canon, manages to sell.

Could you provide a quote as that's not how the canon works. You have two higher levels of canon, G-level (which includes the movies and things such as notes by Lucas) and T-level (the TCW) followed by the C-level (the novels, comics, video games etc.), S-level (secondary canon, somewhat ambiguous canon items) and N-canon (non-canon).

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  22. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Continuity issues aside, this was an awesome episode.

I thought the Nightsister mist coming from the stumps was a nice touch. I wonder if that explains the "blood mist" in Episode 1.

23. Sompeetalay

Dec 17, 1999
    Why anybody would be interested in stories that didn't 'really happen' is beyond my imagination. I wouldn't read them for sure if I knew they weren't canon.

Apophis_ likes this.
  24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    That was pretty effing good, I was surprised at how graphic the episode was. You could actually see the cautarized bone sticking out of Savage's arm, even though there was green 'nightsister' mist coming out of it. The end part with Palpatine telling the Jedi to focus on the war and with the slow zoom in on Palpatine smiling was pretty well done.

Though I'm sure that the comic book fans will hate it due to Gallia's death (which was also rather graphic).

All in all, it was the best season premiere yet. Might not be saying much after last year.

Looking forward to next week, glad to see the Jedi robes from the movies are being shown now.

Spazmatron likes this.
  25. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Pretty good episode. The dialogue was largely... "meh", with the exception of Hondo and the end scene with the Jedi Masters and Palpatine. Obi-Wan's duel with the Zabraks was excellent and it ended better than I thought.

26. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Fixed. :D

Apophis_ likes this.