main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Where do you rate The Clone Wars in the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by 07jonesj, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Yea, it's hard to cast someone who is a great actor in an action movie, especially if the dialogue is bad.

Ewan McGregor did a decent job, same with Samuel Jackson. Ian stole the movie though, best actor in the series IMO.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ian was great, no doubt, but I thought Ewan stole ROTS.

QuangoFett likes this.
  3. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    liam Neeson was very furious about this stupidity called TPM when he later saw the endproduct in the cinemas. His whole Acting was a try to understand what this funny movie was about.

Ian Mcdiarmid has barely some scenes with very less mimic. At the end he is exagrating that "devilish laugh" thingie a bit.

Ewan stares around and still searching for Train Spotting all the time. I think he was high.

Franz Oz is the Guy with his hand in Yodas butt, right?

The only one which realy understood his role was Hayden Christensen. We hate his playing because we hate the Character Anakin Skywalker. That shows me he did a great Job. On the Other side Characters like Padme or Obi Wan are total neutral to me. I barely noticed them even if they were onscreen the whole time...LOL

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually think it's true that the complaints about Hayden's acting are due to the fact that some of you dislike Anakin's character. ;)

But Liam did an awesome job as Qui-Gon, and if he's "still furious," I think you need to post proof--do you have a link to the article or interview where he said as much? I've been following these boards since before TPM's release and have never heard of any complaints on Liam's end.

The comment about Ewan was just rude. I'm pretty sure the man doesn't do anything stronger than alcohol, nicotine, and adrenaline from riding his motorcycle, and was doing none of the above on the set. And he has a fantastic acting range, more so than Hayden's, which tends to be narrowed to "whiny angsty teens/young adults."

Ian McDiarmid was sinister and creepy, made me want to slap him and then take a shower afterwards, and that's exactly how Palpatine was supposed to make us feel.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    This is very tough! This is probably what mine would be, but they're all so close!

1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Attack of the clones
    3. The Clone Wars
    4. A New Hope
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Return of the Jedi
    7. The Empire Strikes Back

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    And why are people hating The Phantom Menace? It had to be made to start off the story of Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader, if it hadn't been made there would have been many questions to how he came to become a Jedi, and it also showed how Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi got to know each other, plus Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul would have never been there, and they were awesome! :)

7. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    Happy to see so many rating TCW in the top tier.

Spazmatron and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Disgusted to see so many rating TCW in the top tier.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Don't care how anyone else rates TCW.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Not in my case. As atrocious as the writing of the character was in the PT, the acting was still far, far worse.

KED12345 and Spazmatron like this.
  11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    1) The original trilogy comes out on top. It's the first, it's still the best, and they'll always have a special place in my sci-fi loving heart.
    2) Right under them I'd put Revenge of the Sith. It's the only prequel movie I thought on par with the original three and I think not only does it tell the birth of Vader really well but as the last live action Star Wars film we got, it was a great end. Plus, its novelization is my favorite Star Wars novel I've read.
    3) The Clone Wars goes here. I'm sure part of the reason is that it's giving us something like seven hours of new Star Wars material each year. It has what I think the best portrayal of Anakin (it's basically his friendly scenes with Obi-Wan in Genndy's series stretched into hours and hours). I think it's getting better each season and I'm not as passionate about EU continuity as I used to be, so those issues rile me as much. They amuse me more often than not because when I see them, I start imagining how the die hards will react and that's usually hilarious. Plus, any show that's made me genuinely like Jar Jar rather than tolerate him is doing something right.
    4) Attack of the Clones goes here. It's a solid movie, with the (somewhat convoluted) mystery and the endless action sequence at the end that completely dazzled me 10 years ago. I can't wait to see it in 3-D in the spring. The love story, though, is just so bad, IMO. It's too glaring for me to put it higher.
    5) The Phantom Menace. It has a lot of problems (the most grating to me are Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd) and I think is by far the most uneven live action film, but I appreciate it more as the years go on. It has one of the best lightsaber fights (though my favorite is the Battle of the Heroes), Duel of the Fates is one of the best songs in all of the saga, I appreciate the politics more and the fact that we're seeing a story on an even grander scale than the original trilogy, and I'm pretty sure Liam Neeson can do no wrong.
    6) The Clone Wars film. And here we come to it at last. Last place. The last original film I saw in the theater before this year's TPM 3D re-release. Honestly, overall the movie isn't that bad. Better than its 19% on Rotten Tomatoes. The story isn't awful and animation of course lets you get away with some amazing lightsaber duels. But every time I watch it, it's so clear that the VAs were still getting a handle on the characters (some line readings are laughably bad, especially around Ahsoka's intro scene) and the animation is noticeably stiffer. The ending just kind of peters out and a lot of the dialogue is just... awkward. It feels like the collection of TV episodes it seemed it was meant to be.

So yeah, there we go.

Edit:
    I guess I could put the OT in order, too...
    1) ROTJ: I always thought this was a movie of extremes. I thought it had the best of many categories (Best space battle with Endor, Best lightsaber duel, Best Luke portrayal as he reaches the climax of his journey, Best muppet, plus it has the Emperor), but it also has the Ewoks which, unlike Jar Jar, are difficult for me to appreciate. Oh yeah, we get Ackbar, too, so points for that. I know objectively why it's the weakest of the trilogy, but it's still my personal favorite.
    2) ANH: The one fits the mold of "classic", I think more than any of the others. If in 10,000 years only one piece of Star Wars remains, I think it will be this film. It does a great job of introducing this world and interestingly enough, even though it's probably the film in the saga with the slowest burn right off the bat, it never once feels slow. It's Luke's story and it works. Plus, the mains feel like a team the most here, since they're separated for so long in TESB as well as at the end of ROTJ and I like that.
    3) TESB: Like ROTJ, intellectually I know why most of the world considers this to be the best. It's never clicked with me like that, though. It feels slow to me and while many of the scenes are fascinating (especially Dagobah), maybe I don't have the attention span for it. I don't know, I guess I've just never quite bought the hype and love that so many fans feel for it. Still, it's a great movie and deserves its spot near the top.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. Darth__Syphilis

Darth__Syphilis Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2010
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Attack of the Clones
    5. A New Hope
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. The Ewok Adventure
    8. Star Tours
    9. Droids
    10. Holiday Special

TCW doesn't rate.

JackG, Esg and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I'd echo the criticism of others and say that I rank TCW low. This would be my ranking.
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The bubonic plague
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. Got the plague again : (
    9. The Clone Wars series
    10. The Clone Wars movie
    So I may have exaggerated two parts of that. >.>
    Nonetheless, I am not much of a fan of the series. I think it has some good moments -- I like the Mortis arc, for example -- but on the whole, it's just not for me.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    1. AOTC
    2. Traitor
    3. Willow
    4. ROTS
    5. I, Jedi
    6. TESB
    7. Rogue Planet
    8. ANH
    9. TPM
    10. Episode I Pod-Racer
    11. ROTJ
    12. Droids
    Clone Wars would be a "don't care strongly about it either way." Although I would rather watch an episode of it than read a Star Wars comic book or argue about the O-O-OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.