main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Zaarin's biggest mistake

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Andrelious, Sep 27, 2012.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    He might've not trusted them, but I'm sure he knew he could rely on zealots to behave predictably (like Il-Raz's reaction to the "death" of the Emperor).

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Z-blackmyron the Despot is correct; I imagine that Zaarin would have been one of the first warlords, easily. Probably one of the most powerful.

But the impatient idiot just couldn't wait. Well, traitors never prosper...

blackmyron and DarthBoba like this.
  4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    When did GA Grant's after-the-Empire story get fleshed out? Essential Atlas? I'd really like to see his confrontation with the Vong in a story.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think his biggest mistake was not listening to the tech trying to tell him something was wrong.

Or exploding, whatever.

Actually, from what I understand, lightsabers are very dangerous to the wielder without the guidance of the force...or some other method of enhancing your reflexes to super human levels. Considering that Ysalamari don't just bring jedi done to normal, but actively disorient them, I don't think they would be up for some swashbuckling. They certainly wouldn't be up for blocking blaster bolts.

Remember, it is the jedi that makes the lightsaber dangerous, not the other way around.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire was one of the first sources (though far from the last) to show a non-Force Sensitive engaging in an outright sword fight. Han uses a lightsaber to cut open a tauntaun in ESB, but we never see him actually fight with it.

Luke and Mara both make use of the lightsaber on Myrkr in Heir to the Empire- which has enough ysalamiri to guarantee no help from the Force. He kills a vornskr with it, she cuts tree branches with it- and later, he chops through an archway pillar with it- crushing stormtroopers.

EDIT: Marvel may have had them too- but I know much less about Marvel SW.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    In Enemy of the Empire, Boba Fett specifically called out the lighstaber guy for thinking he was as tough as a jedi just for having a lightsaber, then set him on fire. Marvel did have someone who could use a lighstaber without the force, but he spent years, even decades, training with it, and was still no match for an untrained Luke in a straight fight.

As for the other examples - there is a bit of difference between using the lightsaber as a cutting tool and as a weapon - the danger from the lightsaber is that since it produces no heat and has next to no weight, so it is easy to lose track of it and harm yourself. It can be safely used with slower, more controlled movements sure - matter of fact, I wonder why rescue services don't have any, because that seems really useful.
    Besides, without the precognitive ability to deflect blaster bolts, you are just begging to reenact the Indiana Jones swordsmen scene.

Also, Luke had his powers back when he was in the city.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't it Enemy of the Empire that had Boba, and Vader, duelling with lightsabers? Or am I thinking of some other comic?

No, he didn't. A point is specifically made about how "at that distance, and without the Force, Skywalker wasn't that good a shot"- Lando and Aves argue- with Aves claiming that because of the ysalamiri Luke's no Jedi at the moment- Lando responds that even without the Force, Luke's still a Jedi.

And he specifically feels the Force come back to him, on the trip up to space- a km or so up in fact.

9. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Sorry, I was thinking of Agent of Doom. I keep thinking that is "Enemy of the Empire" since he goes after imperial targets. And thank you for the correction to my other comment as well.

10. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Remember the fake Jedi that injured Nek in FotJ - he was also blocking Blaster bolts with a Lightsaber!

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Callista, without access to the Force, is still able to duel Luke without any obvious problems.

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    that's because Luke does not want to hurt his sexpartner! ;) unlike Jacen

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    And there's always Baron Tagge. He simply had the benefit of extreme training, shonen manga style.

Gorefiend and DarthBoba like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Without her hurting herself, is the point. And going by the narration, she's actually a significant challenge for him- since he can't "read" her, the way he can normal Jedi.

It could be compared to fighting a Yuuzhan Vong with all the lightsaber skills of a Jedi.

So- there's reason to believe that ability to use the Force is not that essential to "not injuring yourself with the lightsaber".

DarthBoba likes this.
  15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Corran (although, I grant you, a Jedi-in-waiting) also used his grandfather's Lightsaber in Krytos Trap, Bacta War and Isard's Revenge - with a mixed bag of results!

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Leia also used one in Splinter of the Minds Eye in a duel with Vader. And a point is made in later books that, even after Luke told her she had the Force, it took a long time after that before she was actually using Force powers.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Jedi do sword training as well as training in the Force. You don't need the Force to wield a lightsaber--you just need to learn how to handle a weapon where the hilt has all the mass and the blade has none.

DarthBoba likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And which has a "gyroscopic effect".

Still not as hard as its sometimes made out to be though.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Especially given that they started out as being pretty commonly used, per the ANH novel.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And let's not forget the Tapani saber rakes and their lightfoils.

JoinTheSchwarz and DarthBoba like this.
  21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    The text from the ANH novel, iirc, is this:

"At one time they were very commonly used. Still are, in certain galactic quarters." -Ben Kenobi.

Come on now, if we're down to not even trying with the major novels, surely we can get a full planetfuls of people wandering around with lightsabres. :p

22. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Only if Stormtroopers get to wear McQuarrie shields and lightsabers too on this planet! [face_whistling]

DarthBoba likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    That or ride giant bats.

[​IMG]

RC-1991 and CeiranHarmony like this.
  24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Why is this not an action figure already? Putting my stormtrooper on my Pteranodon from The Lost World just isn't quite the same.

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I liked the Harkov campaigns better than Zaarin. I never could get the asteroid base secret mission to work. But one Tie interceptor, a couple tie bombers and the Osprey against a minefield and an entire VSD starfighter complement? Awesome.

CeiranHarmony likes this.