main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Still a Work in Progress: Welcome to the Community Forum!

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 27, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I agree, I love Kate dearly, but she's become an incredibly absentee mother.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Her avatar makes me all tingly.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I sent this to comms, but I'll post it here too, just to see if anybody else is getting this: My screen froze on me and I got a message saying "theforce.net isn't responding do to a long - running script."

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  5. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Oh I'm not denying that. Life has gotten crazee over the last year. I'm not posting nearly as much.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Y'argh I be demandin' a piratey banner!

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Community Spoiler Policy

Threads discussing television shows, movies, etc, will fall under a default Highlight-To-Read/Spoiler Tag policy. The duration of the spoiler period depends on the media being discussed:

- TV SHOWS: Spoilers must be kept between spoiler tags for two days after the first airing.
    - COMICS: Spoilers must be kept between spoiler tags for a week after a comic's release.
    - MOVIES: Spoilers must be kept between spoiler tags for two weeks after a movie's release.
    - BOOKS: Spoilers must be kept between spoiler tags for a month after a book's release.

Specific threads --upon the agreement of the users posting in that thread or the moderating team-- can have house rules that differ from the general spoiler policy. These "house rules" will be put in the thread title and will be visible in the thread's first post.

Should a thread author wish to create a non-spoiler thread (one that prohibits all spoiler discussion), they may PM a forum moderator and present the reasons behind wanting a spoiler free thread (those reasons should be more detailed than "I want it to be spoiler free". The Community mods will discuss these "petitions" on a case-by-case basis and allow individual spoiler and non-spoiler threads based on the potential popularity of the topic and the need to establish two separate threads.

All spoilers that violate this policy will be edited, and those who post them might end up facing a warning or ban. The seriousness of the spoiler will determine the severity of the action; posting generally harmless material such as casting rumors will not be cause for modding, while spoiling a plot twist or an ending will probably cause a vacation from the boards. Threads with house spoiler rules may sometimes operate under more severe restrictions than threads operating under the general spoiler policy. In case of doubt, use your common sense and err on the side of caution.

prj1 and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So would this mean we would have to use the spoiler tags
    on everything
    for each format's specified length of time? Geniunely curious.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    has this been a big problem lately?

harpuah, Darth Guy and jp-30 like this.
  12. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    The only instance I can think of to reference is the Game of Thrones thread. We had a couple moments where people unknowingly posted a spoiler from the book in the tv thread without even thinking about it.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Banned for posting a spoiler.... seriously?

Where is this listed in the TOS... or are you making **** up on the cuff?

Does this really need to be stickied? I mean, is this really a forum-wide issue? Couldn't you just PM a few people?

AaylaSecurOWNED and jp-30 like this.
  14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You are free to use those tags if you wish. I would hope that no one would go into a thread that says "spoilers" and hope to remain unspoiled, though. Just keep the spoilers within marked threads, and everything should be fine.

tom Not particularly, as PK said, but we need to have a policy.

harpuah Yes, if people go around spoiling people who are intending to remain unspoiled, we will edit and/or ban. I hope it never happens. For now, the thread is going up as a sticky for easy reference; whether it will always be a sticky or whether it'll be part of a larger "Community Policy" thread remains to be seen.

prj1 likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So... because of one instance of a spoiler being accidentally posted and read, we need a policy, and we need to threaten people with warnings and bans? Seems like a knee-jerk reaction, and a bit excessive.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    My guess is the ban threat would be for trolls who just don't care who they spoil (I've dealt with them on other forums with clueless or trollish fanbrats posting unmarked Torchwood: Children of Earth spoilers to the point that one would put the BIG day four spoiler in the subject thread of their post when Children of Earth was airing).

And this is similar to the spoiler policy I saw on the Sci - Fi forums when they were active here.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So... when are the community mods going to be pruned, so that there aren't so many?

I get it, Juliet... I've encountered the same thing in other places, but we've never really had an issue with that sort of thing here. It just seems a bit insane to come up with a policy and threaten bans because of one instance.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    harpuah, Juliet316 is correct on both counts. If it's a genuine mistake, we'll edit to prevent those who don't wish to be spoiled from seeing. If someone trolls with them, they'll get a ban. I'm not sure of the details of the JCC's spoiler policy, but SFF had one. It's not a knee-jerk reaction to anything--we haven't had a specific instance lately--but with the inclusion of media-heavy forums, we think it's a good idea.

prj1 likes this.
  19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Who is this "we"?

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The Community mods. I didn't post this policy on my own or import it from another forum; we did talk about it first.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey guys. She's not posting the thread off the cuff--the guidelines posted were those agreed upon by the collective Community mods. The reason that they're posted in a policy thread is so that we can have general, Community-wide default rules.

What she perhaps forgot to add (and I will emphasize here) is that specific threads--upon the agreement of the users posting in that thread--can have house rules that differ from the general spoiler policy. These house rules will be put in the thread title and will be visible in the thread's first post. For example, the Downton Abbey thread allows spoilers to be posted without highlighting immediately after the show airs in the UK.

And yes, people have been banned for posting spoilers before. For instance, there was a zero-tolerance policy on the JCC for a couple years regarding spoilers from the ASOIAF books being posted outside of the spoilers allowed thread because of the sheer volume of people who were only watchers of the Game of Thrones TV series. This policy was repeatedly reinforced by various mods in the thread, and has been enforced with extreme prejudice.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

prj1 likes this.
  22. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    On the whole I don't much care. I mean, I don't see why someone would read a thread discussing a book or movie or whatever that's been released and then complain about being spoiled. Or is this more for the "Bruce Willis is dead" posts in the middle of a discussion about Die Hard? But this really seems like the sort of thing that could have benefited from actual discussion with the Community at large and what we wanted. Especially because this seems like such a minor issue that a full on policy hardly seems necessary.

Edit: The more I think about it, I just find this to be a thoroughly confusing policy. I watched Parks and Rec on Thursday night. Does the policy mean I can only discuss it in a specifically designated Parks and Rec Spoiler thread and any discussion of it in a Parks and Rec thread not specifically for spoilers will forever be a week behind? Isn't the end result of this just going to be one Spoiler and one non-Spoiler thread for every TV show, movie, book, or comic that people want to discuss?

Amazing.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, I mean did you guys mean to say "Spoilers must be kept in a spoiler tag" instead of thread? Like, we have one Walking Dead thread but discussions on the most recent episode should mainly be used with spoiler tags in the first week?

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm looking forward to the 3rd Hobbit movie's release in 2013 or 2014 so I can discuss plot points without fear of bannage.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    There was a spoiler policy in JCC before. It was vague and awfully defined because it was spread through three different threads but yes, people got banned for spoiling things before (you know who you are, ***hole).

prj1 likes this.