main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.1 - Revival - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    is just me or Jiro looked like Ron Perlman?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Which one was Jiro?

3. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't know Hondo had that strong of a force..No wonder people don't mess with him. He has some serious weight backing him.

LongLiveCloneWars likes this.
  5. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    That's true. I don't blame him. I blame G. Lucas. He's not a Star Wars fan anymore.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, you got me there. Though I could try to lighten the mood by pointing out how it was exactly this that you did in your episode opinion post (by this I mean meticulously picking apart every single scene and explaining why you disagreed), and it was this that inspired me to offer a counterpoint and bounce some ideas off of you to see if anything stuck. :)

I just wish you weren't so bothered by it, as maybe you could have tried to look at things from another point of view and then who knows - perhaps we would have found ourselves with something more constructive to offer than our last few posts to one another. It's clear you have strong opinions about Star Wars and I thought maybe it could be fun.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    No. She died on Boz Pity.
    [​IMG]

Grievous: You're too late. There's nothing you can do for her.
    Mace: I can make sure you don't kill again.

It's explicit, there's no getting around it. Adi took two blades to the chest, she couldn't have survived that. I won't accept some crappy retcon that she pulled through fine. It only took one similarly placed lightsaber strike to fell Qui-Gon on Naboo, so why should this be any different?

I won't accept that Grievous lost his biggest kill and Adi her fitting fate because Lucas suddenly has an interest in "telling his story of the Clone Wars" read: make lots of money. Obsession was billed as "the action packed lead-in to Revenge of the Sith", clearly not Infinites or anything non-canon. I paid money for this believing that it was and is canon, a ****** little kids' show isn't changing that. George graciously accepted the money we paid for these EU stories, and it isn't right for him to make more money by rehashing and overriding a product many people already paid for.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, Mace also had a lightsaber through his gut in Shatterpoint, ditto Kyle in LotF. Ventress also survives being shot and lightsaber'd in Obsession.

It's here to stay, sadly.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Aside from the senseless killing of characters who are supposed to die elsewhere, this was a really good episode. Can't wait for next week, just hope they don't muck up Onderon, one of my favorite planets. I'm liking what I'm seeing though, so I can only hope.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    That it is and I accept the (I thought, well-done) change, but with with every occurance like this there will be more folks hurt by it and that sucks. I've said before that personally, my main interest when it comes to canonicity is in George telling his version of the story, but it helps that, although I love any number of the novels, comics and video games, when it comes to Star Wars, I simply prefer the audio (esp the music)/visual experience of the films and television (so I tend to enjoy the results more). Thus, I have less of a problem accepting these changes.

What I don't like to see (and neither should LucasFilm, as a company interested in keeping customers) is loyal patrons of the franchise winding up feeling cheesed off because they invested themselves in the experience in what they fully believed to be the "true" depiction of events (never mind the cash spent) only to have that experience brushed aside as "inauthentic." If it absolutely must be done to fulfill Lucas' vision, then I'm certainly willing to give it every chance (hey, Anakin's newly applied "No. Nooooo" during the climax of the saga is one I may never come fully to terms with, though I'm trying), but I have a bit of a time imagining George Lucas saying "you know what, the events depicted in Obsession don't reflect they way in which I've always wanted Adi Gallia to go out" and then insisting on what we saw on Saturday, and if not, things like this should be prevented (especially when it results in being the one thing tarnishing an otherwise excellent episode for some folks).

It would be so easy.

Zeta1127 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  11. General_Un-Co

General_Un-Co Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2010
    The real sad thing about this is that I was considering buying the Republic: Clone Wars omnibus last week, but knowing that more and more of the series is getting whipped out, I didn't buy it. And I almost bought an ebay auction that included both republic commando and "Coursaunt nights" but but I hesitated too long for the same reason and now its gone. I just don't feel that its worth investing myself in the clone wars era when much of it will just be swept under the rug.

Actually the word investment made me think at $30 per omnibus and $15 per novel, the TCW has possibly Lucas books $205 in the last couple of weeks from me :oops:. That being said I did buy the last Bantam book I was missing "Children of the Jedi", so you can take $3 off that total.

I think I need to re-watch the episode before I post a review.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I wouldn't be a fan either if I received that many personal threats and constant hating by his fan base over simple things like Blu-Ray changes to the OT.

Actually, I'd try to ruin Star Wars as much as I could to *beep* everyone off.

It's amazing how much hate Gallia's death is generating, you all knew this was coming is what is surprising, for months - Adi Gallia was going to get impaled by Savage's 4 inch horn. Blunt force trauma, nothing cauterized there, as well as a saber through her body. She either died to due her liver failing or bled to death. Eeth Koth is probably the next Jedi on the chopping board

13. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I hope Grievous killls Eeth Koth.

14. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    "FAIL" ? I'm not sure if your post was meant to be sarcastic or not. Perhaps you just hadn't read my full post:

15. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    "Before the prequels came out". Well...

That's two quotes right there. Sure, from the inception of the modern EU with the publishing of Heir to the Empire in 1991 it has been labeled canon (or even 'quasi-canon'), but it has not been placed on the same level as the movies.

TreborSabreon and KED12345 like this.
  16. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Can I just take a second to say thank you for this? I honestly appreciate the sentiment here. Rather than some posters who would prefer to simply dismiss or insult their fellow fans, or manipulate wording in an attempt to invalidate their legitimate concerns, you came at this from a very honest, personal approach. It didn't bother you all that much personally, but took the time to offer your sympathies to those it did. I really do appreciate that, and wish more forum members here would emulate your example. Thank you.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I still haven't seen a great explanation for why they had to use Adi Gallia in this episode. Make it Eeth Koth. Make it random Jedi.

I get that she is a (somewhat) recognizable Council member, but the ironic thing is that many SW fans who actually know who she is and why her death by Oppress is significant are the very ones who would be aware of the events on Boz Pity. I seriously doubt the average SW fan has any idea who she was.

Billy_Dee_Binks - I think they wanted to ease into the season a bit, which is why it started somewhat slow. I'm usually the first person to complain about the pacing and time wasting, but it didn't bother me this time around.

EDIT: Overall, I was quite happy. I would actually prefer that Maul doesn't look like Mr. Invincible at this point, and I love the fact that Kenobi acquitted himself rather well.

I was worried about too much Hondo, but he was great in this episode. Almost like a goofier version of Khaaaaaaan.

Script was pretty decent and the pace was good. The animation didn't always look amazing to me, other than the fact that the lightsaber battle was probably the best we've ever seen.

Sometimes when Maul & Savage are walking it seems strange to me. Kinda ape-like or something.

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Couple of points worth talking about. Maul yelled each time his metal legs got hit with a bolt. When Brothers came out, I asked if "Mech-Deru" meant "living metal" in the GFFA after watching Maul stretch while still on the slab, and I think I just got my answer...:p

Didn't take away from the badassery of the episode...
    but after watching it three times, the green smoke was strange and I still don't know what to make of it.
    Savage's arm I get, but not Maul's metal parts.

19. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Zahn would toss Mara's death, I expect.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    From what I've gathered, the only elements of EU that are worthy of complete respect by LucasFilm is the Knights of the Old Republic video games, the movie novelizations, The Force Unleashed Video Games, and Dark Empire I&II.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    =D=

22. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    I actually really liked the mist effect of the spirit ichor bleeding out, both for Maul and Savage. It helps to show that neither one is wholly of the physical world anymore. Savage's body has been saturated with ichor in order to make him the hulking monster he is, and though Maul's legs used salvaged super battle droid parts as a base, they were alchemically altered with ichor to form the final product. Both were imbued with the stuff, and I thought it was a nice touch to see that it's substantial enough to actually reside inside of them and pour out through a wound.

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Guys, obviously canon discussions are a part of this episode because of Adi Gallia, but we do have a thread focusing on canon & continuity and I would urge you to move your debates there.

Also, I laughed at the start when Maul tried to Force Choke that droid and it kept talking to him - felt like it was a video game and he was just mashing the Y button. :p

24. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Is it called ichor, then, or is that just your word for it?

25. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Spirit ichor, per the Darth Plagueis novel and the Book of Sith's section on the Nightsisters.