main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Combat Evolved: The Halo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BISMARCK, May 21, 2002.

1. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Well, the last BUNGIE Halo game. And even that's not definite. They've mentioned that after Reach they'll be moving on to other things, but if they ever feel like returning, they'd definitely still consider it.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think that was more of a promise that they would watch over the franchise and maintain it's integrity if the need arises. I really don't think after 5 consecutive Halo games Bungie are going to return to a world of Spartans and Covenant beasties unless they feel they need to.

But TBH after Halo Legends I have had my faith shaken in 313 Studios. It was a very sub-par effort. If they don't improve their output when they start developing games I'm going to grab a battle rifle and start shoving plasma 'nades down people's throats.8-}

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Calling all Halo 3 and ODST players! Make sure you have your Gold accounts topped up for Wednesday and Thursday, Bungie needs your help supporting the victims of the earthquake in Haiti.

Click here to find out how you can do your part!

And if you don't have access to live there are some rather nice shirts featuring the superintendent from ODST to purchase and every cent you pay goes to the aid fund.

4. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Bump.

P.S. I am back to being obsessed with Halo again after like 1 and a half years!:-B

Reference site for Halo fans: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

5. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm guessing there'll be quite a few people obsessed with Halo in the next few months. [face_thinking]

6. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Indeed.

Anyone pick up the Halo: Evolutions book? It contains a bunch of short-stories by Eric Nylund, Karen Traviss, and a bunch of other authors.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Gee, ya think? :p I actually considered taking vacation the week of 9/14 but it'd've been too obvious for all concerned.

8. Chance the Jedi

Jul 25, 2005
    I did that last week with StarCraft II.:p

9. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    People notice? I took half a day off when ME2 came out and no one noticed nor cared. :p

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    My boss would notice, since he's just a teensy bit of a gamer himself and would probably be aware of REACH's launch date.

11. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    The way my terms at school work out, I've got a two week break that falls squarely around the REACH launch date.

Also, has anyone seen this?

Chief?

I'm pretty confident in what 343 will be able to put out, but some people have their misgivings...

12. Chance the Jedi

Jul 25, 2005
    Honestly, I think there shouldn't be anymore Halo games involving the Chief.

13. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    At least not as a central character, I think.

But Halo 3's ending didn't really do it for me in a lot of ways, so I'm glad they'll at least continue past the Battle of The Ark in terms of storylines, 117 or no.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    So...yeah...

I see nobody here talking about it even though it's going head to head with Assasin's Creed 3 as the killer app of these holidays (at least from my point of view).

Is anybody still a fan of the series? Are you getting it? Or just a little excited about it? Reach did a lot to kill my love for the franchise. And even though I'm not sure about the look of this new Halo or how capable 343i is of standing up to -- let alone outdo -- Bungie in handling the franchise, I'm starting to feel an itch that may need some scratching come November.

So, discuss!

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm excited for it. Reach is one of my favourites in the series, mostly because it's Halo but not Master Chief. I liked that a lot about it. I haven't read the book so I don't know how different they are so I don't care about that, but I really enjoyed it.

343 seem very capable, at least in terms of graphics. Halo Anniversary was really good in terms of graphics, so we at least know that Halo 4 will look good. I'll have to wait and see how the story plays out before I can comment on that, but a new direction is sometimes good. As long as it still feels like a Halo game it'll be great. I'm not sure the multiplayer needs any kind of back story to explain why the reds are fighting the blues. The story they came up with makes sense but I don't think it was needed.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am seriously considering getting Halo 4 when it's released, even though I don't have multiplayer set up. I really like what I am seeing with the new weapons and enemies.

I want to get Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, since it's one of the few ways to go back and time and play Halo: Combat Evolved. I am already quite pleased with myself, since I finally beat Halo 3 on Legendary a few days ago.

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Er...how can you not have MP set up. You mean you don't have a Gold subscription?

Though I originally didn't want anything to do with it, I found myself with cash to burn late last year and bought HCE: Anniversary. It is something of a mixed bag. The facelift with the Reach engine definitely improves the look of the nearly 12 year old game, though the crew of the Pillar and the Marines-suddenly-turned-into-Reach/UNSC-army-troopers will definitely look weird. The Covenant and Flood baddies definitely improved with the facelift. The Reach achievements were definitely fun to get, as well as the addition of terminals and skulls (and yeah, if you turn on a few skulls, you have the next best thing to god mode in a Halo game; just be careful when lobbing those grenades). But as far as multiplayer went, it was still Reach, tweaked just a bit in the designated playlist to make you think you were playing CE MP.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't have internet for my Xbox or a Gold subscription.

19. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    I was actually thinking about making a 4 thread the other day as I haven't seen one.

But yes, I'm very excited. I still have to get down to GameStop and change my preorder to the Limited Edition.

I don't like where the story is going with the Forerunner, but I'll give 343 the benefit of the doubt at least for this installment.

20. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    I love Halo. I was very happy with the Halo 3 ending because it ended the way it began, with Chief going in and out of cyro sleep. Halo 1 began with him being woken up because they needed him, and it ended with him floating off into space saying "wake me.... when you need me..." So I really liked that ending, and I would prefer if they focused around the hundreds of other battles which were in this 50 year war, but, who knows... We will have to wait and see how well they can do with Halo 4.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I guess what I'm really mostly curious about is what's going to happen to Cortana, what with her rampancy and all. As my icon shows, I'm a sucker for AIs going off the deep end.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm more curious as to these new enemies, it's on my Christmas list for some unlucky smuck to buy for me :p

23. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've got the Limited Edition on preorder, and I'm hoping to get the console for birthday and Christmas combined. :cool:

But yeah, new bad guys are good, and I love the look of them from what I've seen. My only fear is that the flood is back as I really hate the flood. It seems they won't be in it but do feature in the backstory, which is fine by me.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The Flood is back...but supposedly in multiplayer only (it'd certainly make the Zombie playlist more interesting). I kinda doubt the Flood will be in the campaign because the action mostly takes place in a Forerunner Shield World populated by nasty Prometheans that in all likelihood would not allow any Flood forms to exist. At all. Besides, with the smattering of unreconstructed Covies plus Prometheans to fight, adding a third faction to fight would definitely be a bit of overkill (though it'd make sitting out battles and watch the three-way fights all kinds of awesome).

25. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm intrigued about the Spartan Ops campaign because it continues past the end of 4's main campaign. I'd like to see the discovery of another Halo in it; the games are missing something when you can't look up and see the other side of the ring high in the sky.